Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city has the most vibrant caribbean culture
new york city 23 25.27%
maimi 67 73.63%
boston 0 0%
new jersey 1 1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 12:31 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times

Advertisements

New Orleans needs to worry about getting its population back.. The only thing left in New Orleans is decendants of caribbean.. I think the reason why people don't acknowledge N.O roots is because place like NYC and Miami dominate Caribbean culture and it's very visual to see the people the nieghborhoods. The accents etc..

So the only cities I see that are good for caribbean culture. Is Miami and NYC hands Down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 04:36 PM

688 posts, read 1,489,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
New Orleans needs to worry about getting its population back.. The only thing left in New Orleans is decendants of caribbean.. I think the reason why people don't acknowledge N.O roots is because place like NYC and Miami dominate Caribbean culture and it's very visual to see the people the nieghborhoods. The accents etc..

So the only cities I see that are good for caribbean culture. Is Miami and NYC hands Down
Miami is easy to see. New York is much further from Carribean, seriously lacking in palm trees, and many, many cultures there.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:01 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:

Yea, decendents who left cultural traits and so on that still exist to this day. Nobody said that NOLA was full of caribbeans, THAT'S OBVIOUS. The culture of the city though is a direct off shoot of caribbean culture and very similar to it. Funny how whenever somebody mentions NOLA in one of these threads you always seem to get aggitated.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:15 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
NYC. I do not know why people voted for Miami. NYC has a huge population of Jamaicans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Cubans, and other West Indian people.
This is way to vague.

Many cities have huge populations of those groups.

Miami is actually located IN the Caribbean and has tropical weather year round and much more visible cultural amenities of those ethnicities. Not saying that New York doesn't have those, but Miami wins hands down.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:02 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
This is way to vague.

Miami is actually located IN the Caribbean and has tropical weather year round and much more visible cultural amenities of those ethnicities. Not saying that New York doesn't have those, but Miami wins hands down.
Lol Miami is not in the Caribbean, it's close to the Caribbean, but it's in the US.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Yea, decendents who left cultural traits and so on that still exist to this day. Nobody said that NOLA was full of caribbeans, THAT'S OBVIOUS. The culture of the city though is a direct off shoot of caribbean culture and very similar to it. Funny how whenever somebody mentions NOLA in one of these threads you always seem to get aggitated.
Lol@aggitated.lol....New Orleans was never on the poll so it never should have brought up in the first place. But I can't always count on u to bring N.O up..

Old 05-16-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Lol@aggitated.lol....New Orleans was never on the poll so it never should have brought up in the first place. But I can't always count on u to bring N.O up..
...and where did I bring up.
Reading comprehension??? hmm...

Old 05-16-2010, 10:24 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
This is way to vague.

it is not too vague.

visit nyc and see for yourself.

i don't see how 800k puerto ricans, 650+k dominicans, countless west indians that aren't latino, etc. etc. i don't see how those equal vagueness.

so we don't have palm trees or hot weather all year around. ok but what do you have to say about all those west indians that set up shop here and carved a niche in this city, altering the culture forever??

west indians and nyc go hand in hand. we could not be who we are without west indians, PERIOD.

gentrification is killing nyc IMO. the nyc i know is west indian in nature anyway...so when ppl talk about how miami is dominated by west indian culture and nyc is not, i don't get it.

my neighborhood smells like west indian food. my area is full of west indians (and other ethnicities but the east indians and the guyanese indians (of east indian decent) own EVERYTHING HERE).

i eat beef patties. i go to bodegas. etc. etc. i hear indian music being played at 2am in the morning from neighbors from guyana. i grew up around haitians and have eaten with my haitian neighbors, i was baby sat, etc. by them. its nothing to see ppl cutting sugar cane here. its nothing to hear reggae at all hours here. my aunt is from belize as well. she moved here decades ago. like do you realize how many west indian nations are represented here????

like i have to lol at ppl that don't know what they're talking about commenting on nyc not being dominated by this culture.

nyc is very european but it is very west indian as well. period. if you don't understand that then visit.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
...and where did I bring up.
Reading comprehension??? hmm...
No where is your reading comprehension?? I never mentioned what thread you brought N.O up in.. I just made a general statement. I know who brought it up in this thread... Westbanknola don't start with me tonight.. It's too late for all that your given me... Find some other forumer to play with..

Old 05-16-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Westbanknola don't start with me tonight.. It's too late for all that your given me... Find some other forumer to play with..
All that I've given you...
Dude, put that in perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City