Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city has the most vibrant caribbean culture
new york city 23 25.27%
maimi 67 73.63%
boston 0 0%
new jersey 1 1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 02:24 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times

Advertisements

Miami is the only one that is actually IN the Caribbean, though, so it wins by default.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
'idk where i forgot but i remember reading how Haitians make up the majority of the west indian day parade now that is some shizznick.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:37 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
and people are forgeting about Boston. There are quite a few Haitians and Jamaicans, as well as Bajans. Go to Cambridge, Roxbury, Mattapan, Dorchester, Somerville, Lynn, Randolph, Medford and some other neighborhoods/cities in the area. Boston Haitian Reporter
COJO - Coalition of Jamaican Organization - Boston, MA
Boston J.U.M.P., Inc.
Bajans in Boston | Facebook
Caribbean Organizations

Hartford is another sleeper in terms of people with ties to the Caribbean. Places like Bloomfield and Windsor have quite few, as well as the city of Hartford.
i was reading how most of boston caribbean population is haiti , i think it said haiti is 10 percent of the city , while dominicans are 8.2 percent and jamaicans close to 5 percent , and after that bajans making a huge number out of the rest. cool stuff.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:11 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
when i get back i'll post responses...been out most of the day.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Miami is the only one that is actually IN the Caribbean, though, so it wins by default.
Lol Miami isn't in the Caribbean it's in the US but I know what you mean..

Old 05-14-2010, 08:18 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I think saying any Hispanic Parade/festival in NYC is better than Miami's top festivals is like saying NYC outdoes New Orleans on Mardi Gras...
you underestimate NYC then. again, with 800,000+ puerto ricans and 600,000+ dominicans living in nyc, again knowing that both populations are not only in more of an abundance in nyc than their own countries' capitals but knowing that more puerto ricans and/or dominicans live in nyc than there are ppl regardless of ethnicity in ALL of miami, how can you so easily go against nyc??????

we haven't even gotten to the other ethnicities of west indians in nyc, yet.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:25 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
you underestimate NYC then. again, with 800,000+ puerto ricans and 600,000+ dominicans living in nyc, again knowing that both populations are not only in more of an abundance in nyc than their own countries' capitals but knowing that more puerto ricans and/or dominicans live in nyc than there are ppl regardless of ethnicity in ALL of miami, how can you so easily go against nyc??????

we haven't even gotten to the other ethnicities of west indians in nyc, yet.
No, I'm not trying to belittle NYC. I view it to be the ONLY diverse city in the world that can best represent every culture from every corner of the world. IMHO it out does London.

But, when you say that there are more people of that ancestry living in NYC over their own home countries capital, that's saying two things.
NYC is clearly doing what it's best at, and that's being a melting pot of cultures from all over.
Secondly, do you think it would make NYC more of a representation of those cultures then their own home countries capital?

I apologize for the unclear statements, I'm just trying to understand where we're going with this discussion as of now. lol.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:37 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
No, I'm not trying to belittle NYC. I view it to be the ONLY diverse city in the world that can best represent every culture from every corner of the world. IMHO it out does London.

But, when you say that there are more people of that ancestry living in NYC over their own home countries capital, that's saying two things.
NYC is clearly doing what it's best at, and that's being a melting pot of cultures from all over.
Secondly, do you think it would make NYC more of a representation of those cultures then their own home countries capital?

I apologize for the unclear statements, I'm just trying to understand where we're going with this discussion as of now. lol.
i think its kind of like one can leave their home country and still feel like they haven't left if they are in certain areas of nyc. the heights and spanish harlem come to mind. i mean obviously the weather is different but the community is there. the music, the tongues (languages, customs, etc.) are there.

miami is probably the same, actually, but only for certain ethnicities.

i don't think there's necessarily a clear cut answer the the OP's question to be honest.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:42 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
LOL this is BS, Miami wins easily with NY as a close 2nd. It's funny when people talk about Miami in other threads they always say how it's more like a Latin American city than an American city and all that stuff but when it's in a thread like this the New Yorkers want to take the spotlight. Sorry NYers NY does have a large carribean culture but it doesn't beat Miami's
thats only because miami is in the south and southern ppl are funny when it comes to things that are "southern" to them. they don't consider dc part of the south. many ppl dont' consider maryland southern...or various other cities (or states) such as new orleans, miami, in some cases atlanta, parts of texas, etc.

put miami in the north and it no longer is only known for that one thing...i think it would be overlooked...like say a philly or a boston which also have very large west indian populations.

also, how can one win easily with a close second, tho? that doesn't make sense.

anyway, again, miami has a large caribbean population but not as large as nyc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City