Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city has the most vibrant caribbean culture
new york city 23 25.27%
maimi 67 73.63%
boston 0 0%
new jersey 1 1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:44 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times

Advertisements

what fellow nyc posters?? ppl from miami with ny as their location? or what about others from other areas that have never been to nyc and claim its an easy "victory" for miami. come on son.

there are more ppl from the caribbean that live in ny than there are ppl in miami...but all of a sudden thats not supposed to matter at all. like these ppl don't bring their culture with them and add to nyc or to the rest of the country.

like salsa music doesn't exist. like hip hop wasn't started from a west indian. like marc anthony, j lo, fat joe, a rod, manny ramirez, pedro martinez, fulanito, etc. didn't come from or come through nyc.

come on. i doubt you have been to nyc as well. no way the poll should be 46 to 16 miami.

again, i have posted numbers, i have posted examples and i have posted my own personal experience growing up in queens.

so you give it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:56 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Just because there are more people does not mean anything. That culture dominates ALL of Miami. Miami resembles where they came from. They have to adapt very little to Miami. The climate and location is going to cause immigrants to adapt or change something in some form of fashion. Plus, New York is dominated by another culture which can easily influence some Caribbean natives. Plus, from my understanding Islanders who were born in the Northeast or been there for a long time are looked a different when they return home vs those in Florida because of the changes in culture.

Caribbean culture is just going to be purest in South Florida.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:02 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
what fellow nyc posters?? ppl from miami with ny as their location? or what about others from other areas that have never been to nyc and claim its an easy "victory" for miami. come on son.

there are more ppl from the caribbean that live in ny than there are ppl in miami...but all of a sudden thats not supposed to matter at all. like these ppl don't bring their culture with them and add to nyc or to the rest of the country.

like salsa music doesn't exist. like hip hop wasn't started from a west indian. like marc anthony, j lo, fat joe, a rod, manny ramirez, pedro martinez, fulanito, etc. didn't come from or come through nyc.

come on. i doubt you have been to nyc as well. no way the poll should be 46 to 16 miami.

again, i have posted numbers, i have posted examples and i have posted my own personal experience growing up in queens.

so you give it up.
Im caribbean myself.. MIami feels more like the enviroment where I come from thats why i can relate better than being in NYC. If I go the enviroment id not going to remind me of the island I grew up on, Just the people... Ive been to NYC i have family there. There is no secenry in NYC that reminds me of my island

Last edited by MikeandIke27; 05-15-2010 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-15-2010, 11:09 AM
eek

So with more representation of the Caribbean and with more ppl of said caribbean nations in NYC Miami wins this because of climate??

Wow. Ok then.

Guess those 650k ish Dominicans in NYC would feel more at home in Miami. Although Miami only has 550k ppl in it total according to the dude from Miami. Guess quisqueya heights, el barrio, loisaida, etc don't exist and don't duplicate the cultural feel of pr and dr. Guess we aren't going to count All the shops owned by Guyanese Indians, etc etc. All because one city is known for Many things and one is known for just one thing. Also u are not from NYC mike so u probably haven't been to areas that I am talking about. U did not grow up here. When everyone around u is Dominican speaking Spanish and everything is owned by *insert west Indian ethnicity here* I find what you're saying hard to understand. Unless we are solely talking about climate.

If that's the case then Hawaii is more puerto rican than ny is.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
So with more representation of the Caribbean and with more ppl of said caribbean nations in NYC Miami wins this because of climate??

Wow. Ok then.

Guess those 650k ish Dominicans in NYC would feel more at home in Miami. Although Miami only has 550k ppl in it total according to the dude from Miami.
Umm yeah, pretty much. Common sense should say that it would take more to adapt to NY. Plus this feel is in certain sections of NY compared to damn near all of Miami.

If you dropped 10,000 Americans in the middle of Sao Paulo and 100 Americans in the middle of London, which group would feel more at home?

Old 05-15-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:

if Puerto Rican culture dominated Hawaii, that would be true.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:39 AM
eek

You're basically saying that if 15 ppl lives in Hawaii and all 15 were say...puerto rican then the state of Hawaii would be more puerto rican than nyc which has almost 1 million puerto ricans in it. All because of climate.

Lol at this bull.

So forget all the contributions that ny made to Latin America. Forget the incredibly large sections that dwarf neighborhoods in Miami, forget that there are more west Indians in NYC than there ppl in Miami, forget all of that!!

Miami is hot all year around and that gives it a better Caribbean scene.

Lol at that but ok cool.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:48 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:

Wow. Ok then.

Guess those 650k ish Dominicans in NYC would feel more at home in Miami. Although Miami only has 550k ppl in it total according to the dude from Miami. Guess quisqueya heights, el barrio, loisaida, etc don't exist and don't duplicate the cultural feel of pr and dr. Guess we aren't going to count All the shops owned by Guyanese Indians, etc etc. All because one city is known for Many things and one is known for just one thing. Also u are not from NYC mike so u probably haven't been to areas that I am talking about. U did not grow up here. When everyone around u is Dominican speaking Spanish and everything is owned by *insert west Indian ethnicity here* I find what you're saying hard to understand. Unless we are solely talking about climate.

Yes the enviroment for me has everything to do with it.. That's why my parent chose miami. My aunts and uncles chose NYC for jobs not for the culture.. Again nothing in NYC reminds me of the caribbeans.. only the people.. Plus I have easier access to the caribbean..

Old 05-15-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
You're basically saying that if 15 ppl lives in Hawaii and all 15 were say...puerto rican then the state of Hawaii would be more puerto rican than nyc which has almost 1 million puerto ricans in it. All because of climate.
No I never said that.. reread what I said, It's very clear. That would be true though if the entire pop. of Hawaii was Puerto Rican and maintained their culture.

Quote:
Lol at this bull.
Yea, cause you pulled that from out your...

Quote:
So forget all the contributions that ny made to Latin America. Forget the incredibly large sections that dwarf neighborhoods in Miami, forget that there are more west Indians in NYC than there ppl in Miami, forget all of that!!
That just means there are more people. What isn't there more of in NYC? It's alaways quality over quantity. What do contributions have to do with how strong the culture is?

Quote:
Miami is hot all year around and that gives it a better Caribbean scene.
No, Miami has a better scene because it is dominated by it.

Quote:
Lol at that but ok cool.
o..k... eek

Old 05-15-2010, 12:06 PM
eek

Mike, more ppl from more Caribbean nations means nothing because Miami is hot. Wow.

Nola, stay in the heights or east Harlem and then talk to me about dominance. And contributions to Latin culture dont matter now? Lol at this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City