Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:46 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
^No thanks...like I said, the cold keeps people away in droves and if the climate were better in any of those cities (as well as Buffalo) my point is that the population and popularity would be higher.
no they wouldn't. If Buffalo were to all the sudden be 75 and sunny all year round, the population would not increase. Buffalo has a bad economy that keeps people away. Not the weather. Weather is secondary to economy. Places like Chicagoland and the Twin Cities have extreme cold weather and those metro areas have grown quite a bit in the past few decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 08:59 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Well then agree to disagree, because I think the Twin Cities would be more populated if the weather were nicer, and I've heard such from outsiders...something along the lines of: "I really love it here but I just couldn't handle the winters"

Old 05-12-2010, 09:02 AM

Also, you can't attribute Phoenix's, Las Vegas', Miami's or Charlotte's growth solely to employment. Employment may have FOLLOWED people there but it certainly wasn't the primary reason 100% of the population moved there.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Well then agree to disagree, because I think the Twin Cities would be more populated if the weather were nicer, and I've heard such from outsiders...something along the lines of: "I really love it here but I just couldn't handle the winters"
And some people will the the same for extremely warm weather places. The primary reason for people flocking to an area is the economy, not the weather.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:31 AM

Why is North Dakota so sparsely populated then? The unemployement rate is like 4% and they can't fill jobs there!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:41 AM

North Dakota is pretty remote. I assumed we were talking about decently sized metro areas.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:21 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Buffalo-Rochester-Syracuse. They're the snowiest cities in the lower 48.
I'd live in Syracuse, I personally like snow.

Most of the northeast is experiencing way below average temps lately.

It's 48 degrees right now and it's the warmest part of the day! May 12th??

Old 05-12-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
North Dakota is pretty remote. I assumed we were talking about decently sized metro areas.
Move on and contribute in a positive way or just drop it....you are never going to see my point of view, this is clear, so provide your own other than saying weather affects us all.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Move on and contribute in a positive way or just drop it....you are never going to see my point of view, this is clear, so provide your own other than saying weather affects us all.
I did provide my point of view. My point of view was that the cities you listed aren't impacted by weather since they are well equipped to deal with it. When you are used to snow, you have the means to get ride of it before a problem occurs.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:06 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,481 times
I'm going to rank these cities ONLY on weather and how it would encourage or discourage people fro
living there. No other factors matter, so please don't say Chicago weather doesn't deter people or it wouldn't be such a big city, or anything like that. There are many reasons why a city might be popular, but if all other factors were equal, here's my opinion of how weather impacts cities:

Weather encourages relocation to these cities:
1. San Diego- best climate in America, hands down. Nearly perfect year round- no extreme cold, heat, humidity, hurricanes, tornadoes, or anything else.

2. Los Angeles- almost the same as San Diego, but not quite as nice.

3. Phoenix- although too hot for some, it's paradise to many retirees, snowbirds, and people escaping harsh northern winters. Most transplants to Phoenix list the weather as one of the top reasons they moved there.

4. Denver- the ideal spot for those looking for all 4 seasons, yet wanting to avoid areas where the sun doesn't come out for months at a time.

5. Not sure what city I'd pick for this spot. Many could qualify. Maybe San Fran or Austin?

Weather would discourage relocation to these locations:

1. Minneapolis- way too much snow and cold weather for many people. My impression of the 4 seasons there is Snow, More Snow, Still More Snow, and Mosquitos.

2. Chicago- also too much snow, along with the lake effect.

3. Houston- extreme humidity and hurricanes

4. Oklahoma City- the tornadoes alone are more than enough to scare many people off

5. Seattle/ Portland (tie)- constant gloom and rain is far too depressing for many people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City