Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:51 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times

Advertisements

I think the weather in those places has no impact on people for the most part. There are exceptions though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:15 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Yes, the point of this thread is to hypothesize the THEORY that some cities benefit more or less by the gift of good weather or the curse of rough weather. I had Minneapolis in mind when I started the thread because I always hear comments from outstate friends or family that the city is such a nice place and has so many big companies, why isn't it bigger? Is the weather really THAT bad? I heard it snows in July! Most of these perceptions are 100% wrong, but the city gets a bad rap from the media and it protrudes negative stereotypes.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:18 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Yes, the point of this thread is to hypothesize the THEORY that some cities benefit more or less by the gift of good weather or the curse of rough weather. I had Minneapolis in mind when I started the thread because I always hear comments from outstate friends or family that the city is such a nice place and has so many big companies, why isn't it bigger? Is the weather really THAT bad? I heard it snows in July! Most of these perceptions are 100% wrong, but the city gets a bad rap from the media and it protrudes negative stereotypes.
I don't think protrude means what you think it does.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:22 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Great, that's your personal experience. My personal experience is the exact opposite with people moving to places such as Boston and NYC. They may not be the biggest fans of the winter but they enjoy the economic opportunities and cultural amenities. I know a handful of people who have moved to places soley for weather reasons and I found them to be rather simple minded and didn't stay long. But that's just my personal experience.

Well, most of those people moved after HS graduation or College Graduation, where A)You go to college and don't need a job B)Were offered jobs out of College.

I can get specific if you want -

My cousins moved to SD just to get away - no jobs neccessary
MY buddy moved to AZ for school (SDGA)
My buddy moved to Vegas for School (UNLV)
About 10 people from my hometown have moved to LA (E! job, modeling, wanna-be actors, ''to get away'')
My old roommmate moved to Vero Beach, FL for a job (Aviation)
Oh yeah!, my two buddies moved to Myrtle Beach, SC for insurance jobs!
My old dorm roommate just moved to Fort Worth for a job too (Criminal justice)
Twin sisters i knew in college moved to Houston to be teachers (apparently they love teachers from MN there)
I know 2 dudes that moved to Colorado because "its like MN but winters aren't as bad"

Not to mention that MN is home to snowbirds-you know, people who live in FL, AZ, TX or SoCal from October to April and in MN from April to October.

Sure, your throwing up huge commerce centers- Boston and NYC, some of the biggest commerce centers in the US, so of course you're going to have those who get excelllent jobs and move to where weather is least of their worries.

From my experience, like you said, being from MN, I know many more people who have fled the State simply because they grew up here and cannot handel the winter anymore. There's not many jobs that you can get in MN that you CAN'T get in a warm place, and that's the justification that keeps people pouring out at almost the same rate transplants come in.

Again, this is just my personal experience though.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post

Exactly!

Just like the dude in San Diego. I visited my cousin there last summer and rented a house for 2 weeks. The guy came and cleaned the pool one day and was BSing with us... He goes "Woah, where's those accents from!?"

So, of course like always, we told him Minnesota, and he Southern Californianly ignorantly responed with "Ah, oh. Hm. Do you guys even get much of a summer?"

what was ironic is that the temps for those 2 weeks in Minneapolis were 75-85 and the temps in SD those two weeks were about 60-75.

He went on to ask another acendine question - "Do people in MN even have outdoor pools?"

yes dude. We have pools that are outdoors. And no, we don't live in igloos and take dog sleds to work.

I felt embarassed for the guy. he seemed like an intelligent, nice guy, but was just in shock that we had summers and had outdoor pools.

Is it his fault? Probably not, it's probably the media that skews national perception of the fact that although it does get EXTREMELY COLD HERE, it's only in winter months (November-March)

Old 05-12-2010, 04:31 PM

People hate Minneapolis/St. Paul for the weather, and I know this from living there. Each year you hear "F, this place. Why do I live here? I'm outta here"

Anyways, Minneapolis tries to make due. They have a skyway system, where you can walk in over 15 miles of indoor skyways and never have to go outside.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:25 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I don't think protrude means what you think it does.
Perhaps you are right....excellent catch! Replace "protrude" with "manifest". I'm glad people are really starting to grasp the purpose of this thread!!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:41 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
I'd say weather impacts all cities equally ;-) ......perhaps you mean which city's weather do we find more pleasant/tolerable???

Old 05-13-2010, 07:01 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,053 times
Top 5
1. Denver - perfect 4 season climate
2. San Diego - comfortable weather all year long
3. Los Angeles - pretty comfortable weather all year long
4. Seattle - great summers, mild winters
5. Portland - nice summers, mild winters

Bottom 5
1. Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse - depressing winters with way too much snow
2. Houston - absolutely disgusting summers
3. Phoenix - although not humid, it just gets way too hot
4. St. Louis - summers as hot and humid as the south, but without the mild winters of southern cities
5. Any city in Alaska.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:14 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Barrow, AK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City