Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 11:55 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,022 times

Advertisements

I think both the Arizona heat and the Minnesota cold have their good points and not so good. But one major thing when it comes to the Arizona heat is..... yes, that's right skin cancer! That heat can really hurt a person's skin over the long term and you can also sweat. On the other hand, a Minnesota winter can't give you skin cancer and you can't get heat stroke. As previously stated, both of these weather conditions are extreme and I'm not going to say which is better than the other. When I think about it, for me personally, I tend to deal with cold better than heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 02:55 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I think both the Arizona heat and the Minnesota cold have their good points and not so good. But one major thing when it comes to the Arizona heat is..... yes, that's right skin cancer! That heat can really hurt a person's skin over the long term and you can also sweat. On the other hand, a Minnesota winter can't give you skin cancer and you can't get heat stroke. As previously stated, both of these weather conditions are extreme and I'm not going to say which is better than the other. When I think about it, for me personally, I tend to deal with cold better than heat.

Yeah, but you can get frost bite in about 3 minutes in Minnesota with skin exposed. Ever had frostbite? Nearly every Minnesotan has to some extent and it HURTS bad!

There are days where you literally have less than 3 minutes of exposure before you DIE. Yes, DEATH. they will actually say, don't be outside without a coat for more than 3 minutes or your body will go into shock and shut down.

This doesn't happen all winter, it's usualyl jsut for about a week time period in stupid January.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:16 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
I would take Arizona in a second.

I abhor bitter cold weather.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:19 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,970 times
No matter how hot it may get out here, and risk sunstroke or skin cancer, you don't have to shovel 5+ feet of it off your yard, risk frostbite and lose power.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:29 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Like I said, look at Australia, mega cities, plenty of people, some of the most barren places are in the most frigid regions on Earth(Alaska, ALOT of Canada, ALOT of Russia, Antarctica, etc).
All of the big cities in Australia are on the coast, not in the desert. Barely anybody lives in the Outback.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'm dumb for disagreeing with him.
No, it was dumb to compare MN to Antarctica.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Yeah, but you can get frost bite in about 3 minutes in Minnesota with skin exposed. Ever had frostbite? Nearly every Minnesotan has to some extent and it HURTS bad!

There are days where you literally have less than 3 minutes of exposure before you DIE. Yes, DEATH. they will actually say, don't be outside without a coat for more than 3 minutes or your body will go into shock and shut down.

This doesn't happen all winter, it's usualyl jsut for about a week time period in stupid January.
What are you talking about? I've never heard of anything like that in WI. You might lose a finger or two being exposed for 10 min, but you wouldn't die that fast. People who fall into lakes when it's 10 below zero can survive for like an 30 min-an hour.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
No matter how hot it may get out here, and risk sunstroke or skin cancer, you don't have to shovel 5+ feet of it off your yard, risk frostbite and lose power.
AZ = rattlesnakes, tarantulas, gila monsters, black widows, scorpions, etc.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:39 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
No, it was dumb to compare MN to Antarctica.
It is also dumb to compare Arizona to Death Valley! The lowest spot in the Western hemisphere. The topic is subjective. But I found it interesting reading knke0204 info on frost bite. If a person goes outside in 110F heat w/ an umbrella they will be hot but in no danger of dying in "3 minutes" or 3 hours. And by staying in a swimming pool it is very tolerable to handle extreme heat.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:13 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
AZ = rattlesnakes, tarantulas, gila monsters, black widows, scorpions, etc.
Does it matter? Every region of the U.S. has it's nasty critters.

Have you ever personally seen a Gila Monster in person? How about a scorpion on your wall? (no matter how much it unnerves me) You just learn to live with it.

But my personal preference will always be for warmer climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City