Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 06:47 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Wow, I've read this whole thread and I've learned that if you live in warm weather, you're gonna get dumber and eventually die. You must remember that some of the warmest climates grow the most produce and crops. The notion that humans are meant to live in colder climates is ridiculous. The reason why India and all those place in Africa are the way they are, is because of the systematic oppression forced upon the people in those area for hundreds of years, NOT because it's HOT, I mean you would think with the 1,000's of years Egyptians, Middle Easterners, Native Americans, and various Saharan and Sub Saharan Africans, survived for 1,000's of years, people would get the notion that you CAN survive in the warmer climates. The only reason it took people in America so long to move down South and out West before the advent of AC, is because America's ancestors were of Northern European descent and were not used to the conditions in which they would face by living there, but as time went on and more people moved down there, more whites learned to adapt to the BRUTAL climates in those areas and generations later they're STILL doing it. Look how FAST the Sunbelt is growing. I don't think there are many places in on the Earth where it is too hot for a human to survive, but there are places where it is too cold for humans to make a permanent settlement, city, or country.
Humans have survived in places like Iceland, Greenland, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Russia, and Canada for quite some time now. Shall we compare education levels, economies, crime stats, and overall quality of life with Sub Saharan Africa or India?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'm just mad at the whole notion that warm=dumb and uninhabitable. I mean seriously? Why is Antarctica the way it is, and Australia isn't the same way? They're both relatively isolated. Yet MANY people LIVE in Australia, and Antarctica is populated for a SET amount of time by VERY few people. Look how underpopulated Alaska is, look how populated TX, FL, CA, and GA are.
Wow, you're dumb. Antarctica has no vegetation whatsoever or freshwater that's not frozen into glaciers. It's also the coldest place on the entire planet. Gee, I wonder why nobody lives there besides scientists? What a mystery.

BTW, more people live on Antarctica than in and around Death Valley. The 2 towns nearest to Death Valley have a combined total population of 120, while Antarctica has a population of around 2,000 during and a winter population of around 1,000.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:56 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Wow, you're dumb. Antarctica has no vegetation whatsoever or freshwater that's not frozen into glaciers. It's also the coldest place on the entire planet. Gee, I wonder why nobody lives there besides scientists? What a mystery.

BTW, more people live on Antarctica than in and around Death Valley. The 2 towns nearest to Death Valley have a combined total population of 120, while Antarctica has a population of around 2,000 during and a winter population of around 1,000.
Antarctica, Death Valley, Iceland, the Sahara. Are we still talking about AZ and MN? Do you seriously think it's unnatural to live in deserts? Is that still your point?

Old 05-19-2010, 09:42 AM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
You're seriously comparing MN to Antarctica? Wow. Maybe I should compare AZ to Mercury.

Places like MN, WI, and Canada were inhabited by Native Americans, they survived for thousands of years without the use of coal or petrochemicals. I know lots of people in Northern WI who heat their homes with a WOOD burning stove or a pellet stove (the fuel pellets are made of compressed newspapers).

BTW, Human life began in what would become the nation of South Africa, which is located a good 3,000 miles from the Sahara Desert.
Why are you calling other people clueless? Are you aware that Tucson was probably first visited by Paleo-Indians, known to have been in southern Arizona by about 12,000 years ago, village sites located near the Santa Cruz River date back 4,000 years ago, and the floodplain of the Santa Cruz River was extensively farmed during the Early Agricultural period around 1200 BC to AD 150?

Old 05-19-2010, 09:46 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Humans have survived in places like Iceland, Greenland, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Russia, and Canada for quite some time now. Shall we compare education levels, economies, crime stats, and overall quality of life with Sub Saharan Africa or India?
Yep, and all that is because of Hot weather?

Old 05-19-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Is that not my point? TOO cold. Yet people still live in the CA, AZ, NV, CO, TX, deserts those are also some of the hottest places on Earth, where as a limited amount of scientist live in Antarctica for a SET amount of time.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Like I said, look at Australia, mega cities, plenty of people, some of the most barren places are in the most frigid regions on Earth(Alaska, ALOT of Canada, ALOT of Russia, Antarctica, etc).

Old 05-19-2010, 10:09 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
Minnesota doesn't even get THAT cold. The COLD months are December (19 degree avg) and January (13 Degree Average) maybe February (20 Degree Average). The rest of the peripheral 'cold' months (Oct, Nov, Mar, Apr) are no cooler than those months in places like Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Boston, NYC, Detroit,etc.

And the 'Warm Months' May, June, July, August, September are just as if not warmer than many places throughout the US.

Places in AZ do get extremely hot. But it's a different hot than here in MN. A 110 degree day in Phoenix might not feel as hot as a 90 degree day in MN with the humidity.

Like somebody said earlier, both are large states where climate can actuallly vary among regions. All the coldest records in MN are in the NORTH, where there are low-land bogs and valleys, and obviously being north enough for the canadian airflow. That's why Embarrass, MN is the 'coldest city' in the 48. It sits in a low laying valley where the cool air just sits there and keeps the temps low. Same with Duluth and the Lake Superior effect.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:50 AM

489 posts, read 1,324,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Antarctica, Death Valley, Iceland, the Sahara. Are we still talking about AZ and MN? Do you seriously think it's unnatural to live in deserts? Is that still your point?
Exactly what I was thinking. I'm sure he knows that the crime rates in Russia or education levels in India have nothing to do with someone's preference for MN or AZ weather. I'm sure he also knows that people can survive in deserts just fine. He just gets some weird thrill out of being condescending and insulting to anyone who dare have a different opinion than him. I don't know why he even bothers to respond to any of us since according to him he's highly educated (since all cold weather lovers are) and we're all dumb and uneducated (since all warm weather lovers are). I mean, I wouldn't waste my time arguing with someone who I felt was so far beneath me, so I wonder why he does?

Old 05-19-2010, 10:56 AM

I'm dumb for disagreeing with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City