Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 04:43 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times

Advertisements

so it has been proven, Minnesota Cold is the winner...
18...Minnesota Cold
13...Arizona Heat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 07:26 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,072,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Las Vegas (3.5-4 inches) only gets half the precipitation that Phoenix gets (around 8) and Tucson gets 11 inches a year, according to my research.

To qualify for the desert label, it's 10 inches a year or less. So that puts Tucson barely out of the desert range.
Oh c'mon. One extra little inch of rain doesn't not make Tuscon a desert. That's like a fat person saying: "I'm not morbidly obese, I only weigh 299 lbs."

Quote:
I visited Tucson a few years back, and to compare Las Vegas with Tucson's humidity, I could definitely feel the higher humidity when I was there in June.

So if the humidity levels are too high for you in AZ, Las Vegas will serve you better, overall, but we too have our "monsoon" season where our humidity levels can creep up to 20-30% in late July/August, the painful time of the year for us.
20-30% humidity is extremely low, not even noticeable. If anything, it would keep your sinuses from drying out like they normally do in the desert.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:27 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,072,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I didn't compare them, I was responding to when you said "humans were never meant to live in desert or warm climates". Same could be said for dangerously frigid climates.
No, this is what you said:
Quote:
I disagree, look at a place like Antarctica, humans can BARELY survive there, and the one's that do live there, only live there for a set amount of time, on the flip side some of the hottest places on Earth have humans who have been living and surviving there for generations. Like others have said, you NEED oil and energy to keep warm, and when that runs out, then you're screwed. On the flip side, it doesn't require much energy to survive hotter climates. Humans started in Africa.
You tried to draw a comparison between people barely being able to survive in Antarctica, to living in the state of MN. What a completely ridiculous comparison, as ridiculous as comparing AZ to Mercury, the closest planet to the sun.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:32 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
No, this is what you said:

You tried to draw a comparison between people barely being able to survive in Antarctica, to living in the state of MN. What a completely ridiculous comparison, as ridiculous as comparing AZ to Mercury, the closest planet to the sun.
I get a kick out of the fact that a Cheesehead is turning out to be the most vocal defender of Minnesota climate

Old 05-20-2010, 04:52 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Quote:
There are stories every winter here in NC about homeless people freezing to death. In NC of all places, in the SOUTH!!
You can find a homeless person frozen to death in Phoenix, Tucson and Las Vegas in the coldest days of winter.

It's not unheard of for the nighttime temp's to fall to the 20's in Las Vegas.
And even if they fall to the 30's in Phoenix, remember the windchill factor.

35 degrees/30MPH wind==Feels like 6 degrees.
30 degrees/30MPH wind==Feels like -2 degrees.
25 degrees/20MPH wind==Feels like -3 degrees.

And add in the low humidity as well.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:36 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,874,502 times
Similary, Northerners cannot adapt as well to serious heat waves, like the epidemic in Chicago in the 90's, for example.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:54 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Oh c'mon. One extra little inch of rain doesn't not make Tuscon a desert. That's like a fat person saying: "I'm not morbidly obese, I only weigh 299 lbs."

20-30% humidity is extremely low, not even noticeable. If anything, it would keep your sinuses from drying out like they normally do in the desert.
What's interesting is that parts of the Southwest get their most rainfall in summer. Something like 50%-75% of yearly rainfall occurs during the summer monsoon in Arizona. Winter rainfall is often much less. Unfortunately, due to the heat, much of the rain from summer thunderstorms is evaporated very quickly. Plus the desert soils tend to absorb the water rapidly. But downpours can cause flash flooding. I was in a flash flood near Indio a few years ago. We were lucky and decided to turn around & go back to my cousin's house because the water flooded the highway & left mud in cars as high as the windows.

But Tucson is over 2000' elevation & is considerably cooler than Phoenix. The mountains near Tucson get plenty of rainfall each year. Tucson has one of the nicest climates in the U.S.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
What's interesting is that parts of the Southwest get their most rainfall in summer. Something like 50%-75% of yearly rainfall occurs during the summer monsoon in Arizona. Winter rainfall is often much less. Unfortunately, due to the heat, much of the rain from summer thunderstorms is evaporated very quickly. Plus the desert soils tend to absorb the water rapidly. But downpours can cause flash flooding. I was in a flash flood near Indio a few years ago. We were lucky and decided to turn around & go back to my cousin's house because the water flooded the highway & left mud in cars as high as the windows.

But Tucson is over 2000' elevation & is considerably cooler than Phoenix. The mountains near Tucson get plenty of rainfall each year. Tucson has one of the nicest climates in the U.S.
I can vouch for that, I have lived in Tucson for a considerable amount of time, the city is magnificent. And yes, it does get rainfall, for those that think it's entirely dry.

The climate there is part of the reason why Tucson is my favorite city in all of USA. You really should see the city before you make any generalizations about it. (To the people that don't believe Californio Sur's description)

By the way, one inch of rain means a lot when it comes to terrain. You would be surprised how much one inch mattered.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
When I lived in Phoenix, I was surprised, as you head south to the Border, you steadily rise in altitude, until you get to Nogales at 3800 feet. More extreme, going north out of Phoenix, to 7000 feet at Flagstaff.

So you can actually drive south from Tucson, some 60 miles, and cool off a bit in Nogales at 3800 feet, or go SE to Bisbee at 5000+ feet.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:04 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
When I lived in Phoenix, I was surprised, as you head south to the Border, you steadily rise in altitude, until you get to Nogales at 3800 feet. More extreme, going north out of Phoenix, to 7000 feet at Flagstaff.

So you can actually drive south from Tucson, some 60 miles, and cool off a bit in Nogales at 3800 feet, or go SE to Bisbee at 5000+ feet.
Yeah not to mention how much snow Flagstaff get's during winter. The San Francisco peaks area is a great place to snow board, the first time I tried it out, almost got frost bite. Haha, Arizona climate in general tend to vary where you go.

Like take Yuma for example, it is one of the hottest cities in the country (Yes folks it can get hotter than the Phoenix).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City