Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Arizona does not have any natural lakes. Those lakes are fake, just dammed rivers or reservoirs. Fake lakes don't count. We don't need fake lakes up here - we have thousands of real ones.
How does that prove that Minnesota is a better place to live though?

By the way, manmade lakes = man made, someone did the job, it was a source of employment. I hope in that case they continue to keep making lakes all over Arizona is it meant people can have jobs, especially during these times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 07:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlincoyote2k1 View Post
Funny story: Today, the high in Phoenix was a comfy 81 degrees, whereas Minneapolis soared to a sweltering 95. In fact, if I read correctly, MSP was the hottest major metro in the US for May 24, 2010.

Explain that one to me?
Its rare that MPLS is hotter than PHX. VERY rare. 99.99% of the time, PHX is a lot warmer, especially in summer when its 80 in MPLS and 115 in PHX. Put it this way, MPLS has never once in its history hit 110 degrees. In one summer alone, Phoenix posted 33 days of temps of 110 or higher.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:16 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
So if you don't like cold weather and don't mind hot weather you are uneducated or backward. OK. Elitist at best and almost borderline racist.
This is what you conclude from a list of states? Whoa, pretty broad jump there, don'tcha think?

Old 05-25-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlincoyote2k1 View Post
Funny story: Today, the high in Phoenix was a comfy 81 degrees, whereas Minneapolis soared to a sweltering 95. In fact, if I read correctly, MSP was the hottest major metro in the US for May 24, 2010.

Explain that one to me?
Well, it was the hottest May 24 on record in Mpls. How's that?

Old 05-25-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
Arizona doesn't observe daylight savings
Really? Why not?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:44 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
This is what you conclude from a list of states? Whoa, pretty broad jump there, don'tcha think?
I think LAX-PHX was "concluding" this based on some previous posts made by another poster who was defending his preference of cold weather to the point of being extremely rude and condescending to those of us who prefer Arizona's weather over Minnesota's- and yes, that poster pretty much did say that educated people prefer colder climates and that most warm climates are hellholes filled with unintelligent people

Old 05-25-2010, 10:46 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Really? Why not?
This explains it Hawaii,Puerto Rico,US Virgin Islands don't observe it either

Daylight saving time in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-26-2010, 01:24 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Most definitely. Our northern latitude makes our days longer in summer and shorter in winter. During the summer it starts getting light around 4am and doesn't get completely dark until around 11pm. This is how we're able to squeeze so much activity into our relatively short summers.
I now understand this. Because of it's northern latitude, and it's position in the far western half of the Eastern time zone, it's daylight and night-time's are out of whack. They have this same type of phenomenon in Chicago when it starts getting really dark around 4:00 PM in the winter time. They have other astrological phenomenons like this in the EXTREME most parts of the world(Alaksa, Antartica, Iceland, Russia). I've just read about the Midnight Sun Effect in those places I named where it's relatively BRIGHT outside and the sun is shining around 12:00 AM midnight. And there is an opposite effect called a Polar Night, in which it is relatively DARK(like how it looks around 3:00AM) BUT it would be this dark around like 12:00 PM. There are places where the sun doesn't rise for MONTHS. I must experience these places.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:54 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
Mormon Lake in AZ is not manmade.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:58 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I now understand this. Because of it's northern latitude, and it's position in the far western half of the Eastern time zone, it's daylight and night-time's are out of whack. They have this same type of phenomenon in Chicago when it starts getting really dark around 4:00 PM in the winter time. They have other astrological phenomenons like this in the EXTREME most parts of the world(Alaksa, Antartica, Iceland, Russia). I've just read about the Midnight Sun Effect in those places I named where it's relatively BRIGHT outside and the sun is shining around 12:00 AM midnight. And there is an opposite effect called a Polar Night, in which it is relatively DARK(like how it looks around 3:00AM) BUT it would be this dark around like 12:00 PM. There are places where the sun doesn't rise for MONTHS. I must experience these places.
I believe saying months is an over statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City