Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 09:51 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Oh please! I've got to see that! How about a photo to prove that Minnesota has mountains and then prove that they "look like Alaska"!
http://www.lutsen.com/images/summer/headers/mtnTram.jpg (broken link)

Hey, I know MN isn't Alaska, but they draw a lot of similarities. Just check out the AK threads with all the MN posters in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,986 times
I rather take the four seasons over a period of hot year rounds. Blahhh... Tanning sounds great but I love the cold weather more so MN for me.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
I actually think parts of Northern Minnesota fit in better with Alaska and "the Arctic" then they do with the Midwest. Subarctic forest, glacial lakes, moose, bears, extremely low population density, northern lights and dog sledding are found in both Minnesota and Alaska. Parts of extreme northern MN (above 48 degrees north) even experience 18 hours of daylight for a brief period in the summer.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:34 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,836 times
I will take Arizona heat since I love the warmth. Don't like the cold very much, but Minnesota is a nice place.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:53 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post

Hey, I know MN isn't Alaska, but they draw a lot of similarities. Just check out the AK threads with all the MN posters in there.
I stand corrected, sorta not quite Alaskan but I do see some elevation in those beautiful photos. But are those considered mountains or hills?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
I haven't read most of these responses, so this has probably been said somewhere in those 24 (!) pages, but given the sheer number of people (retired, mostly) who have two homes -- one in AZ, one in MN -- I'd say there are a lot of people out there who have decided to enjoy both. The snowbirds all head south for the winter, then back up north after the snow melts.

As to the hill versus mountain thing: MN doesn't have what I consider mountains, but there are definitely hills and some dramatic scenery, especially along the north shore of Lake Superior.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I stand corrected, sorta not quite Alaskan but I do see some elevation in those beautiful photos. But are those considered mountains or hills?
lol. The second picture shows the 'Sawtooth Mountains'. They call them moutnains, but they really aren't...

Minnesota's highest peak is Eagle Mountain too. At about 2,500 ft I believe, however it's really not a mountain either..

^ This is a 'Mountain' in MN. LOL

Old 08-10-2010, 11:49 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
*bump

Old 08-10-2010, 12:02 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,973 times
It's a tradeoff for me being an Arizona resident who transferred from Michigan's upper peninsula 14 years ago.

When I lived in Michigan I was always dreading the bitter cold winters but loving the short but beautiful summers.

In Arizona I dread the relentless heat of the summer months but the rest of the year is mild and beautiful.

Of the two I would pick Arizona, even considering the awful scorching summers. The reason is Arizona gets a monsoon season in July and August that brings refreshing thundershowers every so often, this provides some temporary heat relief and cleans the air nicely.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:09 PM

224 posts, read 604,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post

Still doesnt change the fact its flat as a pancake. But on other accounts like Forests and Lakes, it does bare some resemblance to Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City