Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
Why are you even responding to my post when you don't know what was being discussed?

tijlover challenged people in MN to stand outside naked during the winter, so I challenged him to stand outside when it's 115°F in the summer to see which was more bearable. Sunblock, A/C, and swimming pools are precisely the things I was talking about, people adapting their environments to suit themselves rather than the other way around.

If society came screeching to a halt tomorrow and we were left without computers, electricity, running water, and so forth, how do you think AZ would fare compared to MN? If MN gets cold they can chop down a tree and have firewood, if they get thirsty they can drink from the thousands of lakes and rivers in the state. What do you guys do when you have no A/C or natural bodies of water?
Standing outside naked in the winter in MN, you'd be dead very quickly. You probably wouldn't see the 5-6 hour mark. Standing outside in arizona, you'll last about a day or 2 without water and indefinitely if you could find water and food (cacti) so the answer is very clear: arizona. Even in full winter clothing you'd be dead pretty soon in a MN winter, you'll need shelter.

And AZ would fare just fine if society came to a screeching halt. Water can be found in many places but the level of water consumption (such as watering their pristine green lawns) will have to be greatly curtailed. They can build structures just as easy as people can in MN but unlike people in MN they need it less. What remains to be asked is what people in MN will eat in the winter? Most of the native americans in that region were nomads who'd go down south in the winter for food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 11:59 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
I can tolerate cold MUCH more easily than heat, so Minnesota is the obvious choice for me. Most of it's still too warm in the summer, though.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:09 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Most of the native americans in that region were nomads who'd go down south in the winter for food.
that's so dumb it's funny, thanks for the laugh

Old 06-25-2012, 12:15 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Standing outside naked in the winter in MN, you'd be dead very quickly. You probably wouldn't see the 5-6 hour mark. Standing outside in arizona, you'll last about a day or 2 without water and indefinitely if you could find water and food (cacti) so the answer is very clear: arizona. Even in full winter clothing you'd be dead pretty soon in a MN winter, you'll need shelter.

And AZ would fare just fine if society came to a screeching halt. Water can be found in many places but the level of water consumption (such as watering their pristine green lawns) will have to be greatly curtailed. They can build structures just as easy as people can in MN but unlike people in MN they need it less. What remains to be asked is what people in MN will eat in the winter? Most of the native americans in that region were nomads who'd go down south in the winter for food.
??? There's plenty of wildlife that does not die or migrate in the winter. What on Earth are you talking about?!

Old 06-25-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

that's so dumb it's funny, thanks for the laugh
so what'd they eat sunshine?

Old 06-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
??? There's plenty of wildlife that does not die or migrate in the winter. What on Earth are you talking about?!
go ahead, tell me what they ate/ What's this wildlife and fruit/vegetables that could support human life in a MN winter?

Old 06-25-2012, 12:46 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
go ahead, tell me what they ate/ What's this wildlife and fruit/vegetables that could support human life in a MN winter?
Spose you tell us exactly where these natives migrated to during the winter. In your imaginary bizzaro world, did all the
tribes throughout the Northern states all head to Miami Beach for their winter pow wow?

Old 06-25-2012, 02:05 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Spose you tell us exactly where these natives migrated to during the winter. In your imaginary bizzaro world, did all the
tribes throughout the Northern states all head to Miami Beach for their winter pow wow?
Maybe the Miami Beach Cotillion lost their reservations...

Old 06-25-2012, 02:10 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
Quote:
Southern and central Minnesota has some of the most fertile farmland in North America, you can grow enough in the summer to last the entire year. If technological society came to an end the Midwest would be one of the best places to be a subsistence farmer because of the richness of the land, it is one of the few places that could probably support its' current population if we went back to medieval farming.

Prior to European settlement in the winter the indians ate buffalo, deer, fish, small game, wild rice, dried berries, corn and squash among other things.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 06-25-2012 at 02:55 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 02:33 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,395 times
The deal killer for me with places like Minneapolis and Seattle is the weather..I am a sun worshiper and have lived in places hotter than Phoenix believe it or not in the military..".heck, it's over a 100 where I am here in Denver right now"...to each their own...it's fairly easy in Arizona to retreat to the higher elevations to cool off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City