Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 10:25 AM

266 posts, read 286,412 times

Advertisements

I choose Arizona heat because I hate the cold and Minnesota gets cold in the winter. Summers there are also humid, while summers in Arizona start out dry and then eventually become more humid but not as humid as Minnesota.

Last edited by AZguy99; 08-11-2014 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: Spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 10:36 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,631 times
Minnesota by a lot. Though I can understand trading the worst months in the Upper Midwest (Jan/Feb) for the best ones in Arizona, like some do. 9 months of heat and I would melt (as a cheese plate and all). Unrelenting heat & sun are really depressing for me; I've never once felt depressed because of the winter.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:46 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,202,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
"Pleasant nights"? Its often well over 100 degrees well into the wee hours of the morning. And come July and August, its humid, too, which makes it quite intolerable. And theres no "canopy" of palm trees here. Theyre spaced far apart, and provide no shade whatsoever. And winters here are nice, but usually only in the day time. Yes its a lot warmer than MN, but its not "warm" at night, its downright cold. Its not unusual to see frost many nights in the winter, and the higher up you go in the Valley (ie Carefree), snow can occur, as well as more frost. If youre looking for year-round swimming, its not possible here in AZ, unless youre looking to become a member of the Polar Bear Club. Come mid-October, the air is simply too cold and the water temps plummet (if your pool is unheated). And in the summer, pool temps are in the 90's, which isnt very refreshing IMO.
I was referring to warm nights in summer only. I know AZ gets downright chilly in winters.

As for the temperatures at night, very rarely will it stay at 100F or higher all night. Most nights in Phoenix in summer are in the 70sF and 80sF, with some 90F+ degree nights during heatwaves.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:14 AM

390 posts, read 940,686 times
In Minnesota, you get the coldest weather in the country in the winter. You'd expect the payoff being a cooler summer, but that isn't the case...summers are actually hot and humid. That's two extremes. I'd rather live in a city where you can enjoy moderate year-round temperatures. Otherwise, you basically have to limit outdoor activities for 8 months out of the year.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:09 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,202,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
In Minnesota, you get the coldest weather in the country in the winter. You'd expect the payoff being a cooler summer, but that isn't the case...summers are actually hot and humid. That's two extremes. I'd rather live in a city where you can enjoy moderate year-round temperatures. Otherwise, you basically have to limit outdoor activities for 8 months out of the year.
No. Alaska has colder weather than MN.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:24 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
Summers in Minnesota are really not that hot and humid. The natives here tend to exaggerate it. Some times there are heat waves that last for a week and occasionally you have a really hot summer where it is like that for a month but usually it is in the 80s and pleasant. I've gone through summers where I only used my a/c a handful of times. In the eastern half of the US almost everywhere else is hotter and more humid except for New England and upstate New York.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:10 AM

737 posts, read 1,653,881 times
Coming from South Carolina, by large Minnesota summers are quite pleasant! A few days of temps above 90, and dew points in the 60s beats the hell out of it from April to September like back home, where summers are miserable.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Most nights in Phoenix in summer are in the 70sF and 80sF, with some 90F+ degree nights during heatwaves.
I havent seen nighttime lows in the 70s since April/May. The summer months are usually lows in the mid-80's with many nights not coming out of the 90s. Its brutally hot... for sooooo long.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:59 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
I still have no idea where this assumption comes from.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:03 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
I still have no idea where this assumption comes from.
The movie (or TV show) Fargo, perhaps? It's nowhere near reality, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City