Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 08:12 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
What about folks in Dubai?
The barren hellscape that is the UAE wouldn't be the artificial dreamland it is today without air conditioning. Western expatriates wouldn't even dream of going to that soulless sand trap if they had to endure 100º+ temps (and high humidity) for months on end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 06:09 PM

152 posts, read 298,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
People are moving out of MN to AZ for work/COL, just like everywhere else there is migration to or from a region in this country. Where exactly is this Phoenix "cachet?" I've never heard of it.
Well most of the people from the midwest out here say they could make more money there but they just were fed up with the cold. Just saying a high percentage of the people in MN I'm sure were born and raised there. Here in AZ it's very rare to run across an AZ native over 30 years old. Hell my gym has more Packers, Bears, Vikings and Lions fans than Cardinals fan by far!

Old 10-14-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
The barren hellscape that is the UAE wouldn't be the artificial dreamland it is today without air conditioning. Western expatriates wouldn't even dream of going to that soulless sand trap if they had to endure 100º+ temps (and high humidity) for months on end.
I'm guessing you have never been out of the state of Minnesota?

Trust me a dry 100 degrees is about as comfortable as a humid 85 degrees. Really our summers out here in AZ are just a little less comfortable as your Summers in MN, plus we dont have to deal with the swarms of mosquitoes everywhere like you guys.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
A poster said the proof that a state was "more livable" was that there was more in-migration than another state; I pointed out that North Dakota had more in-migration than the "more livable" state (and every other one in the country), so by the poster's logic, North Dakota is either A) the most "livable" state in the country or B) the in-migration extrapolation was bunk to start with.

^ How can you not understand this? I'm being completely serious.
Lets be real, the state of North Dakota hasn't even hit a million yet in population... there are 75 metro areas and 17 stand alone cities that have a higher population than that whole freaking state. A family of 5 moves there and the percentage just skyrockets... So using that state to prove your point may not work very well.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:08 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessPower View Post
I'm guessing you have never been out of the state of Minnesota?

Trust me a dry 100 degrees is about as comfortable as a humid 85 degrees. Really our summers out here in AZ are just a little less comfortable as your Summers in MN, plus we dont have to deal with the swarms of mosquitoes everywhere like you guys.
Hah, yes, I've been out of the state of Minnesota. I've been to Phoenix in August. The heat there in the summer is simply above and beyond anything we have to deal with here, even with our occasional humidity. Not only is it reliably over 100ºF in Phoenix all summer long, but the sun is much more intense due to the latitude. Does anyone there truly dare to live without AC (or swamp coolers)? Are they generally perceived as crazy?

I live in the city of Minneapolis and haven't been bitten by a mosquito once since moving from the suburbs. Mosquitos are only an issue for rural and suburban areas with wetlands (which, to be fair, is the entire state).

Old 10-15-2014, 10:35 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Dont kid yourselves people, there are tons of mosquitos here during monsoon season. Its a downright plague in many areas of the Valley, I cant go outside at night without getting eaten alive. I have just as many problems with mosquitos here in AZ as I did in IL. Granted their numbers are less, but theyre definitely a nuisance.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:19 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
Quote:
Lets be real, the state of North Dakota hasn't even hit a million yet in population... there are 75 metro areas and 17 stand alone cities that have a higher population than that whole freaking state. A family of 5 moves there and the percentage just skyrockets... So using that state to prove your point may not work very well.
It worked perfectly - there isn't a single apples-to-apples state population comparison, so everyone in the world but you goes with per-cap numbers. ND is #1 per capita.

But please keep posting charts and graphs "proving" that Minneapolis summers are more unpleasant than those in Phoenix, as they're hilarious

Old 10-18-2014, 02:51 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,946 times
Quote:
Really our summers out here in AZ are just a little less comfortable as your Summers in MN
Now this^^ really gave me a good laugh. I mean a nice audible gut-chuckle.

Good grief... the things people will say in C-D forums.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:52 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times
I remember as a kid visiting my grandparents in Phoenix during the summer and going to the zoo. All the animals were hiding from the heat. Anyways, the answer to the question posed in this thread is both of these places have terrible weather for part of the year. The best way to live in these places is to move between the two to avoid the bad seasons.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:39 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
Summer in Phoenix is favorite time of year. I get pissed off when I have to wear anything heavier than a t-shirt. I'm not alone in that, there's plenty of Phoenicians outside all summer hiking the city mountain parks, going for runs, etc., despite what some AZ posters would have you believe.

I'm sure its the same in MN in the winter, some people are out in cold staying active while a ton of other people are inside pissing and moaning about the weather.

The heart of the issue is that people in both places can't wrap their heads around the weather in the other place and charts and statistics are going to change anyone's opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City