Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 04:29 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times

Advertisements

Phoenix for me, don't do cold weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 04:35 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
Though I'm from the south, I've got to go with the Minnesota Cold as being more liveable. There's just something more pleasing/relaxing about turning up the heat, sipping on something hot like cocoa, snuggling up with a significant other, etc. The feel in the air is just better for me during the cold months as my fav holidays are around that time (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentine's Day, etc.)

I prefer this much more than heavily sweating, constantly needing water, feeling cooked, etc.

Long Story Short: It just feels better to crank up the heat to relieve me from the cold than for cool/cold air to relieve me form the heat.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:40 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Though I'm from the south, I've got to go with the Minnesota Cold as being more liveable. There's just something more pleasing/relaxing about turning up the heat, sipping on something hot like cocoa, snuggling up with a significant other, etc. The feel in the air is just better for me during the cold months as my fav holidays are around that time (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentine's Day, etc.)

I prefer this much more than heavily sweating, constantly needing water, feeling cooked, etc.

Long Story Short: It just feels better to crank up the heat to relieve me from the cold than for cool/cold air to relieve me form the heat.
Your point made me think of something....I wonder how people respond to posts like the OPs depending on the time of year.....summer or winter?

Old 06-25-2012, 04:42 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post

Even though I prefer warmer weather I kind of have to agree with this, I really like sitting in front of a fireplace on a cold winter night. BUT I would rather cool off by swimming in the ocean, lake, or something like that than be inside warming up or cooling off.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:45 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Your point made me think of something....I wonder how people respond to posts like the OPs depending on the time of year.....summer or winter?
I remember every winter there always seemed to be an uptick in threads in the San Diego and CA forum's asking about wanting to move to the area to escape cold winters. It usually started in Jan/early Feb. I'm sure some people every year get sick of the cold/heat as winter/summer go on and then the weather changes and they go back to being more content.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:47 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
You have to give AZ credit because if the heat is really driving you that crazy and you wan't to get outside you can just go up to the Mountains

Old 06-25-2012, 05:40 PM

197 posts, read 453,799 times
I can tolerate heat much more than cold, Arizona.

Heat is heat, you sweat and feel nasty. Thats it. Cold however, is unbearable IMO. If it snows you're screwed, used to hate getting stuck on my way to work.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:51 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
You have to give AZ credit because if the heat is really driving you that crazy and you wan't to get outside you can just go up to the Mountains
Ding!!!! You hit the nail on the head BobMarley_1LOVE! What many people forget is that Arizona has different climates and in the summer when it's 108 (like today!) down here in the valley we have options. We can drive an hour or two and be in 80-85 degree weather in Prescott or Sedona. We also have the option of driving to San Diego (5 1/2 hours), or Payson, Pinetop, Flagstaff and other northern areas. The mountains are majestic, cool, green and full of wildlife (see the latest reports on recent Bear attacks!).

I understand why people respond when they see how high our temps go, but I grew up in MA and remember standing out at the bus stop in below zero weather...no fun! Neither extreme is great, but if I must choose I'm going for the heat! My wife, on the other hand, would go in the opposite direction.

No doubt about it, it's gotten "hot out here!" but no need to take off all your clothes, just get in the car and drive to cooler weather!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I remember every winter there always seemed to be an uptick in threads in the San Diego and CA forum's asking about wanting to move to the area to escape cold winters. It usually started in Jan/early Feb. I'm sure some people every year get sick of the cold/heat as winter/summer go on and then the weather changes and they go back to being more content.
Well what I remember during winter is a lot of hate for Northern localles and people pointing out how terrible the weather is. I just don't see as much of that kind of talk during the summer from Northerners about the South/Sunbelt. What gives?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Ding!!!! You hit the nail on the head BobMarley_1LOVE! What many people forget is that Arizona has different climates and in the summer when it's 108 (like today!) down here in the valley we have options. We can drive an hour or two and be in 80-85 degree weather in Prescott or Sedona. We also have the option of driving to San Diego (5 1/2 hours), or Payson, Pinetop, Flagstaff and other northern areas. The mountains are majestic, cool, green and full of wildlife (see the latest reports on recent Bear attacks!).

I understand why people respond when they see how high our temps go, but I grew up in MA and remember standing out at the bus stop in below zero weather...no fun! Neither extreme is great, but if I must choose I'm going for the heat! My wife, on the other hand, would go in the opposite direction.

No doubt about it, it's gotten "hot out here!" but no need to take off all your clothes, just get in the car and drive to cooler weather!
Sounds convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City