Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which megapolis would come first?
Texas triangle 109 52.91%
Piedmont Atlantic 97 47.09%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:26 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Remember, Dallas Metro goes all the way to the Oklahoma Border...
From what I've seen on the megaregion maps (I think the Light Emissions Map is the best map for judging connectivity) I don't see Oklahoma City and Tulsa as apart of the Texas Triangle. I don't doubt they are under the sphere of it's influence. But that is just my opinion. It's something I will take a closer look into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Houston is in East Texas.

Texas is not really urban so-of-speak. Guess your talking bout the city areas of Houston and Dallas, but in Eastern standard its not. Houston is very spread out as well as Dallas. I lived in San Antonio and I know its not urban.

East Texas from the experts
I noticed that afterward. I guess I was under the wrong impression as far as the urbanity of East Texas and the associated areas. I was aware that Texas was not the most densely populated states. However, I think it is interesting to note, that nearly 80% of the population, and almost 95% of the GDP, if I'm correct, comes from TT. Of which an overwhelming majority of that comes from DFW and Houston. Kudos to those two areas.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
From what I've seen on the megaregion maps (I think the Light Emissions Map is the best map for judging connectivity) I don't see Oklahoma City and Tulsa as apart of the Texas Triangle. I don't doubt they are under the sphere of it's influence. But that is just my opinion. It's something I will take a closer look into.
Yeah I don't think so either, I was referring to actual county CSA Boundaries, they are touching the Oklahoma border.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:31 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
They're considered apart of the Texas Triangle Mega Region.

Look under the part under "Definitions" that has a table for the cities in every mega region in the USA & Canada:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalopolis_(city_type)

Old 12-27-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah I don't think so either, I was referring to actual county CSA Boundaries, they are touching the Oklahoma border.
Oh, I see what you're saying. What about Arkansas? I consider Texarkana as part of a peripherary MSA in the Texas Triangle, at least from the maps that I've seen. Here is what I'm talking about.
State-based Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas Maps November, 2004

Old 12-27-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
They're considered apart of the Texas Triangle Mega Region.

Look under the part under Definitions that has a table for the cities in every mega region in the USA & Canada:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalopolis_(city_type)
I see what you're saying DANNYY. I just disagree with that. Nashville and Memphis are also considered a part of PAM, of which I also disagree with. However, I feel more authoritative to speak on PAm, but TT I really don't because I don't know that area as well as others. But from what I've seen, especially in regards to a light emissions map based on an article by Richard Florida on this subject we're discussing, I don't see the OK cities as inclusive in TT.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Oh, I see what you're saying. What about Arkansas? I consider Texarkana as part of a peripherary MSA in the Texas Triangle, at least from the maps that I've seen. Here is what I'm talking about.
State-based Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas Maps November, 2004
Texarkana and SW Arkansas definitely has a relationship with Dallas, maybe not for job commuting per se... but definitely as a regional hub they are drawn to for amenities.

I also don't see Nashville and Memphis part of PAM... but find it weird that Chattanooga is not part of it...? :I

Old 12-27-2010, 11:38 PM

I think another interesting discussion concerning TT, is where is the line drawn between the Gulf Coast megaregion and TT. For example, Beaumont, Corpus Christi and Victoria. Are they TT? Gulf Coast? Both? Very Fascinating.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:40 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
I see what you're saying DANNYY. I just disagree with that. Nashville and Memphis are also considered a part of PAM, of which I also disagree with. However, I feel more authoritative to speak on PAm, but TT I really don't because I don't know that area as well as others. But from what I've seen, especially in regards to a light emissions map based on an article by Richard Florida on this subject we're discussing, I don't see the OK cities as inclusive in TT.
Tulsa & Oklahoma City might not be in the actual triangle but having spent time in both cities (more time in Oklahoma City though), they are definitely, undeniably influenced by Dallas-Fort Worth.

Oklahoma City is to Dallas-Fort Worth as Charlotte is to Atlanta. Dallas-Fort Worth in Oklahoma is seen as the "big city" in the region, and from the people that I have met there, they all go to Dallas-Fort Worth to shop, attend professional football games, attend the cottonbowl (or something like that), and go to school and find a job there. Heck people from Dallas-Fort Worth go straight to the Oklahoma border to gamble since gambling isn't allowed in Texas.

They're way more connected than gets talked about here in City-Data. And from a Texas point of view, having lived in Dallas, and visited both major cities in Oklahoma, I see the connection.
Quote:
I think another interesting discussion concerning TT, is where is the line drawn between the Gulf Coast megaregion and TT. For example, Beaumont, Corpus Christi and Victoria. Are they TT? Gulf Coast? Both? Very Fascinating.
Nahh they're not apart of the Texas Triangle. They are in the Gulf Coast Mega Region, Houston is the only one to be in both Mega Regions, and the only city in the country to be in two Mega Regions altogether.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Tulsa & Oklahoma City might not be in the actual triangle but having spent time in both cities (more time in Oklahoma City though), they are definitely, undeniably influenced by Dallas-Fort Worth.

Oklahoma City is to Dallas-Fort Worth as Charlotte is to Atlanta. Dallas-Fort Worth in Oklahoma is seen as the "big city" in the region, and from the people that I have met there, they all go to Dallas-Fort Worth to shop, attend professional football games, attend the cottonbowl (or something like that), and go to school and find a job there. Heck people from Dallas-Fort Worth go straight to the Oklahoma border to gamble since gambling isn't allowed in Texas.

They're way more connected than gets talked about here in City-Data. And from a Texas point of view, having lived in Dallas, and visited both major cities in Oklahoma, I see the connection.

Nahh they're not apart of the Texas Triangle. They are in the Gulf Coast Mega Region, Houston is the only one to be in both Mega Regions, and the only city in the country to be in two Mega Regions altogether.
That is fascinating. I've heard talk about an I-35 megaregion. If I could look into a study in connection to megaregions, I wonder what is the influence of interstates on megaregions. For example, PAM mostly follows I-85 (you wouldn't believe the amount of trade that follows this interstate) and I know that Houston is the only MSA in TT not on I-35. For that reason you see more connectivity with the other 3 TT MSAs. It is for this same reason you see Houston also connected to the Gulf Coast megaregion as it follows I-10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City