Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which megapolis would come first?
Texas triangle 109 52.91%
Piedmont Atlantic 97 47.09%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:38 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
The research in the Triangle, RTP, started in the 1950s. That's 60 years in the making. The pro and con of investing in education/research is that it takes a long time to return a measureable profit. However, once the profits start they stay their for a while. I see you're point about the higher ed in RTP, but I encourage to do more reading on this area.

I am very familiar with the area, but when you add the SW medical center to the Texas Medical center, and the large private one in SA (the biggest private research center in the US), plus the ones in Dallas/ FW, Austin and Galveston, then the research triangle doesn't seem as hot.

I am not saying it is not great, but it is comparable to other research areas when you take the megaregion into account.

let me give you an example.

The Texas Medical center is the biggest biomedical center in the world. Does that mean that TT is the best region for biomedical research? no the BOS-Wash mega region has us beat serveral times over.

the same thing goes with the RTP. The RTP may be the biggest research park in the US, but other megaregions are ahead of it as a region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 10:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I am very familiar with the area, but when you add the SW medical center to the Texas Medical center, and the large private one in SA (the biggest private research center in the US), plus the ones in Dallas/ FW, Austin and Galveston, then the research triangle doesn't seem as hot.

I am not saying it is not great, but it is comparable to other research areas when you take the megaregion into account.

The Texas Medical center is the biggest biomedical center in the world. Does that mean that TT is the best region for biomedical research? no the BOS-Wash mega region has us beat serveral times over.

the same thing goes with the RTP. The RTP may be the biggest research park in the US, but other megaregions are ahead of it as a region.
You are going to compare a collection of all major cities in Texas with ONE metro in the Piedmont Atlantic? If that's what it takes then I think it bodes well for the Research Triangle. BTW, the Piedmont can also count its competitive resources in other metros too.
Frankly, I think the comparison you make is over-reaching to say the least. BTW, I have lived in Houston. So, I am also familiar with your area as well.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:52 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:

You bring up a good point. But when you take into account RTP was brought about due to the 3 universities and I think the picture becomes different. Was the TMC created due to universities? Just asking cuz I don't know.

Also, Huntsville has a great research park. I'll have to check the others out. Charlotte tried to immulate RTP but it didn't turn out the same But there is a new research center in the 'burbs of Concord/Kannapolis. This research campus will be dedicated biomedical and nutrition. I will post some links for you. I'm not saying Texas doesn't have anything similar, but just showing the diversity and cohesion among the Piedmont Crescent (NC urban clusters in the central part of the state) and then PAM.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You are going to compare a collection of all major cities in Texas with ONE metro in the Piedmont Atlantic? If that's what it takes then I think it bodes well for the Research Triangle. BTW, the Piedmont can also count its competitive resources in other metros too.
Frankly, I think the comparison you make is over-reaching to say the least. BTW, I have lived in Houston. So, I am also familiar with your area as well.

lol, that is exactly the opposite of wht I am saying.

He was psuhing strongly for higher education in PAM and I said the only area that stands out is ATL, and he said that RTP was miles ahead too, and I said RTP may be ahead alone vs another research park alone, but as a megaregion, the PAM is not miles ahead of most other regions in research.

you read my post too closed mindedly so you can't say that I am over reaching because you missed my point completely. If you had read my example about the TMC you would clearly see what I am saying.

fact of the matter is as research park RTP is grand, as a medical center the TMC is grand, as megaregion, neither is miles ahead for what they do. you can add all the metros you want to, its not going to change anything

Old 10-18-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
You bring up a good point. But when you take into account RTP was brought about due to the 3 universities and I think the picture becomes different. Was the TMC created due to universities? Just asking cuz I don't know.

Also, Huntsville has a great research park. I'll have to check the others out. Charlotte tried to immulate RTP but it didn't turn out the same But there is a new research center in the 'burbs of Concord/Kannapolis. This research campus will be dedicated biomedical and nutrition. I will post some links for you. I'm not saying Texas doesn't have anything similar, but just showing the diversity and cohesion among the Piedmont Crescent (NC urban clusters in the central part of the state) and then PAM.

yes, TMC started out as a result of one university actually. Baylor College of Medicine.

The land was first donated to build a hospital (I think that was Memorial Hospital). Pioneers like Michael DeBakey (he invented the device that made open heart surgery possible) pushed for expansion to what the medical center is today.

But Yes, It grew from a Hospital and a university into 49 medical Instituitions, 11 hospitals, and over 85 000 employees.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:08 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm from Austin and I will tell you right now that Atlanta is far superior in about everything except Mexican food and college football.
And live Music. But EVERYTHING else(except College Football, Mexican Food, and Live Music), Atlanta is far superior to Austin in(Airport, Skyline, Public Transit, etc)

Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
And live Music. But EVERYTHING else(except College Football, Mexican Food, and Live Music), Atlanta is far superior to Austin in(Airport, Skyline, Public Transit, etc)

Don't forget mayoral candidates. althought ATL has had its share of 'characters' running for Mayor, I think Austin takes the cake for that category.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
lol, that is exactly the opposite of wht I am saying.

He was psuhing strongly for higher education in PAM and I said the only area that stands out is ATL, and he said that RTP was miles ahead too, and I said RTP may be ahead alone vs another research park alone, but as a megaregion, the PAM is not miles ahead of most other regions in research.

you read my post too closed mindedly so you can't say that I am over reaching because you missed my point completely. If you had read my example about the TMC you would clearly see what I am saying.

fact of the matter is as research park RTP is grand, as a medical center the TMC is grand, as megaregion, neither is miles ahead for what they do. you can add all the metros you want to, its not going to change anything
I think you're confusing what I was saying. The RTP is a result of Duke, UNC, and NC State. The research park was due to that. My point was not to compare research parks but to add RDU to Atlanta's level when it comes to the quality of higher ed. In addition to RDU in PAMs arsenal you have the Triad which has Wake Forest, a list of HBCUs especially A&T. In Upstate you have Clemson and Wofford, Columbia has USC, Birmingham has UAB, and the list goes on of quality higher caliber higher ed. But I was highlighting RDU because it is well known around the country that this metro of 1.6 million is mentioned in the same sentence as Boston, New York, Phily, etc. As higher ed centers. They do exceed RDU indeed, but considering that RDU is 1/4 the size of them, that's pretty impressive.

I think if we listed the top colleges from PAM to the top colleges of TT, I'm certain PAM comes out on top.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
yes, TMC started out as a result of one university actually. Baylor College of Medicine.

The land was first donated to build a hospital (I think that was Memorial Hospital). Pioneers like Michael DeBakey (he invented the device that made open heart surgery possible) pushed for expansion to what the medical center is today.

But Yes, It grew from a Hospital and a university into 49 medical Instituitions, 11 hospitals, and over 85 000 employees.
Baylor is in Houston? That is real neat. Way to go TMC!

Old 10-18-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I think you're confusing what I was saying. The RTP is a result of Duke, UNC, and NC State. The research park was due to that. My point was not to compare research parks but to add RDU to Atlanta's level when it comes to the quality of higher ed. In addition to RDU in PAMs arsenal you have the Triad which has Wake Forest, a list of HBCUs especially A&T. In Upstate you have Clemson and Wofford, Columbia has USC, Birmingham has UAB, and the list goes on of quality higher caliber higher ed. But I was highlighting RDU because it is well known around the country that this metro of 1.6 million is mentioned in the same sentence as Boston, New York, Phily, etc. As higher ed centers. They do exceed RDU indeed, but considering that RDU is 1/4 the size of them, that's pretty impressive.

I think if we listed the top colleges from PAM to the top colleges of TT, I'm certain PAM comes out on top.

I understood perfectly what you were saying but you completely missed what I was saying. what I am saying is that you don't even need the areas outside of ATL metro to win, you win based on that alone, because TT does not have a lot of highly ranked nationally known unis.

YOU don't need all of PAM for higher ed, ATL has you covered already. I gave you that how many posts ago when you first mentioned higher ed. go back and check.

see post 213. My exact words for higher ed: "I will give you that."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City