Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which megapolis would come first?
Texas triangle 109 52.91%
Piedmont Atlantic 97 47.09%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:40 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
Houston was Continental's hub airport. Even though the new United's headquarters is headed for Chicago, Houston will remain United's largest hub w/ O'Hare coming in second. That said, Bush is likely to see an increase in passenger traffic since the merging of Contiental's and United's routes will converge in Houston. In addition, United (weird, I'm so used to saying Continental) will offer two new nonstop routes from Houston to Auckland and from Houston to Lagos. I'm sure the Auckland route will increase traffic since it'll be one of few nonstop routes from the U.S to the New Zealand/Australia area. I think most Qantas routes stop in LA or Guam, I could be mistaken...

...either way, United will bring more traffic to Bush.
Just curious, I understand Guam but wouldn't LA be a direct flight from the US out of a larger airport and city? so not sure i follow the point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I know that Intercontinental is/was a huge hub for Continental, but if I'm not mistaken, Newark is even larger. Where's LAnative10 when we need him?

At any rate, the Southwest buyout of AirTran and their takeover of the ATL hub will boost Atlanta's numbers even higher in the near future (conservative initial estimates say an additional 2 million passengers annually).

I think IAH is much larger for Continental, Cleveland may be larger as well

EWR like PHL are hubs but do so with a lot NE commuter flights - main destination travel to NYC/NJ/Philly and are also large on the International flights. It was always my understanding that IAH was a larger hub for Continental. Airports like EWR and PHL have those tight runways and only two and get screwed on the weather and approaches. When weather/visibility gets even remotely bad the approaches into the NE gets all messed up. Some of the approach areas of EWR and PHL are shared because of proximity and creates a lot of ground delays even when the weather is pretty good. Theor runways are too close and they each really have only have two that can handle larger jets.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I know that Intercontinental is/was a huge hub for Continental, but if I'm not mistaken, Newark is even larger. Where's LAnative10 when we need him?

At any rate, the Southwest buyout of AirTran and their takeover of the ATL hub will boost Atlanta's numbers even higher in the near future (conservative initial estimates say an additional 2 million passengers annually).

These are some numbers LANative provided me on end destination travel for some perspective. i think these are relevant in actual passengers that end up in the city

Markets / Passenger(mil)
1. New York - 66.2
2. Chicago - 39.3
3. Los Angeles - 33.7
4. Las Vegas - 30.7
5. Orlando - 28.8
6. Dallas/Fort Worth - 26.4
7. Atlanta - 26.4
8. San Francisco - 25.0
9. Washington, DC - 24.9
10. Denver - 24.4
11. Phoenix - 22.1
12. Boston - 21.8
13. Seattle - 21.6
14. Houston - 21.4
15. Fort Lauderdale - 17.9
16. Philadelphia - 17.3
17. Baltimore - 16.4
18. San Diego - 16.1
19. Minneapolis/St. Paul - 16.0
20. Tampa - 15.9
21. Detroit - 14.9
22. Miami - 13.2
23. Honolulu - 12.0
24. Portland, OR - 11.0
25. Salt Lake City - 10.1

Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I think so, too. The only thing I keep hearing though is that there is very limited gate availability at CLT. USAirways sure continues to beef up what has become their largest hub, though. The continual announcement of international expansion is very impressive for the region, at any rate.

Who would have imagined just a few years ago that there would be nonstops from Charlotte to places like Rio and Sao Paulo, for example?

US Air is interesting in that CLT has the S American Flights yet no flight to Paris from CLT - In looking at the route maps it is pretty clear to see that CLT is the bigger US Hub whereas PHL is a big Eurpoean hub for PHL (About as many major European cities as major us cities); oddly they are adding a direct PHL to Hong Kong on US Air. I have never completely understood the US air strategy

CLT
US Airways route map - from Charlotte

PHL
US Airways route map - from Philadelphia

Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Yeah, it is absolutely amazing. I think Paris is next on the list if not here already. There is an expansion going on here. What that means exactly I don't know in regards to the gate. I also hear and perhaps seen that RDU is undergoing expansion, but to what degree I don't know. Perhaps rnc2mbfl or someone else can comment.

On another note a shout out to all 3.5 Southern megaregions making strides and progress SoFlo, TT, PAM and the hal megaregion of the Gulf.
RDU tore down its newer terminal and is in the process of replacing it. Why, you might ask, did they tear down the NEWER one? Well, when it was built, it was intended to be a hub for American. It had limited ticket counter and security since it was supporting mostly connecting traffic (how high traffic airports get their numbers). The new terminal is almost fully complete and is scheduled to be operational before the NHL All Star game in Raleigh this Winter. Phase One of it was opened a few years ago and the second half is finishing up now. The new terminal will consolidate more airlines in one location. Once it's fully open, replacement of the older terminal will commence. When it's completed, RDU will continue to have two terminals that flank either side of an already completed parking structure with moveable sidewalks connecting the two.

Though not nearly exact, the new terminal sort of reminds me of Austin's airport. Its structure is exposed and there is a lot of natural light. However, RDU's roof structure is giant arching laminated wood beams instead of steel.

See more here at the airport website.

Google Image Result for http://www.rdu.com/terminal2/project/suppfiles/images/term-10.jpg

Old 10-06-2010, 02:47 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
^^^ Interesting in that I didnt realize that CLT was as close as it was to IAH in volume - though I believe it is the largest hub in terms of passenger volume for US Air
Yeah, CLT is quickly becoming a major airport, for those that don't think it isn't already. BUT, once you factor in Hobby Airport's passengers to IAH's passengers, Houston is the better airport hub, overall, with 48 million for Houston vs 34 million for Charlotte.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:43 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,763 times
Quote:
Just curious, I understand Guam but wouldn't LA be a direct flight from the US out of a larger airport and city? so not sure i follow the point
I'm talking about flights leaving from the Central and Eastern United States. I know some make a stop in LA to refuel before making the long trek over the Pacific...

...but with Boeing's new 787 coming to United (and it's largest hub: Houston), direct flights from Houston (and other central cities like Chicago) will be possible without a refueling stop.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:02 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,303,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Yeah, CLT is quickly becoming a major airport, for those that don't think it isn't already. BUT, once you factor in Hobby Airport's passengers to IAH's passengers, Houston is the better airport hub, overall, with 48 million for Houston vs 34 million for Charlotte.
Houston is definitely the better hub. But considering that CLT is about 1/3 the size of Houston's, I like our chances in the future.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,303,190 times
Quote:
These are some numbers LANative provided me on end destination travel for some perspective. i think these are relevant in actual passengers that end up in the city

Markets / Passenger(mil)
1. New York - 66.2
2. Chicago - 39.3
3. Los Angeles - 33.7
4. Las Vegas - 30.7
5. Orlando - 28.8
6. Dallas/Fort Worth - 26.4
7. Atlanta - 26.4
8. San Francisco - 25.0
9. Washington, DC - 24.9
10. Denver - 24.4
11. Phoenix - 22.1
12. Boston - 21.8
13. Seattle - 21.6
14. Houston - 21.4
15. Fort Lauderdale - 17.9
16. Philadelphia - 17.3
17. Baltimore - 16.4
18. San Diego - 16.1
19. Minneapolis/St. Paul - 16.0
20. Tampa - 15.9
21. Detroit - 14.9
22. Miami - 13.2
23. Honolulu - 12.0
24. Portland, OR - 11.0
25. Salt Lake City - 10.1
Nobody want to come to Charlotte And more people are going to SLC over Charlotte! I can't believe it's not butter.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:15 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Nobody want to come to Charlotte And more people are going to SLC over Charlotte! I can't believe it's not butter.
what is harder to believe is that more people are going to Fort Lauderdale and Tampa than Miami

also, why is FL not combined with the rest of its metro like DFW and Minn/St Paul?

That makes me question, is that figure for DC just one airport or all airports? What about SF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City