Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which megapolis would come first?
Texas triangle 109 52.91%
Piedmont Atlantic 97 47.09%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:35 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post
Does it really matter if the Piedmont area has more 2nd, 3rd, 4th tier cities if the Triangle still comes out on top in terms of GDP output. SouthmoreAve did a revised calculation of the areas combined GDP, the Texas Triangle still had a noticeable gap lead compared to the Piedmont area despite having a smaller population. Now if Houston or DFW were to be struck by a catastrophe, then the Triangle and the state would really feel the effects. But until that really happens (and God forbids), I think the Texas Triangle will have the economic edge for the foreseeable future.
Exactly. The Piedmont doesn't compare to the Texas Triangle economically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 05:43 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post
Does it really matter if the Piedmont area has more 2nd, 3rd, 4th tier cities if the Triangle still comes out on top in terms of GDP output. SouthmoreAve did a revised calculation of the areas combined GDP, the Texas Triangle still had a noticeable gap lead compared to the Piedmont area despite having a smaller population. Now if Houston or DFW were to be struck by a catastrophe, then the Triangle and the state would really feel the effects. But until that really happens (and God forbids), I think the Texas Triangle will have the economic edge for the foreseeable future.
It matters when they're not counted in the GDP output. I'm not aruging the Piedmont GDP is larger than the Texas Triangle, I'm arguing against the notion that the "Piedmont just doesn't match up economically with the Texas Triangle." when more than half of that gap existed when SouthmoreAve added up the GDP's is because, he or she didn't add up all the piedmont cities, and their GDP's are closer.

it's more like
Texas Triangle 966,500
Piedmont Atlantic 848,136

NOT

Texas Triangle 966,500
Piedmont Atlantic 608,136

A 350,000 gap is alot larger that of a 120,000 gap.

This was his post. the 3rd tire cities are red, and also he or she counted none of the 4th tires cities on the piedmont. Again the piedmont is more balance the 3-4 tires cities add up more in population then that of Atlanta or any of the 2nd tire cities. Unlike the Texas triangle with more than half it's population in 2 metros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Piedmont Atlantic-
Atlanta: 269,799
Charlotte: 118,350
Birmingham: 54,274
Relaigh: 53,464
Durham/Chapel Hill: 32,309
Greensboro: 33,175
Greenville,SC: 24,829
Winston-Salem: 21,936
Total GRP(Gross Regional Product): 608,136

Texas Triangle-
Houston: 403,202
DFW: 379,863
San Antonio: 80,896
Austin: 80,077
: 14,552
Waco: 7,943
*couldnt find Bryan/CS numbers, so I'm guessing their economically irrelevant surprisingly.
Total GRP: 966,500

The Piedmont has less than 2/3, or 62.9% of the GAP of the Texas Triangle, so it depends on what your definition of superiority is. But it kind of is, considering the Piedmont has about 19 million residents, while the TX Triangle is closer to 17-17.5 million, so having a million+ less people yet having more than 1.5 times the GRP is being superior.

(2008 Figures from the BEA)
But yet he or she didn't count the 19 million, more like 13 million of the piedmont. The Texas Triangle is a million residents less but have a GDP 120,000 more, not a million people less but have a GDP 1.5 size of the Piedmont.

Looking at Greenville and Winston-Salem, they're 20,000, add Augusta, Columbia, Macon, Columbus, Chattanooga, Huntsville, Fayetteville that aleast 120,000 right there, than some of those metros are larger than Greenville and Winston-Salem so it's proably larger than that.

Now look at waco. Killeen, there 7,00 to 15,000

So lets say that, these metros GDP is 10,000. Cullman, Anniston, Gadsden, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, and Talladega Al, Athens GA. Spartanburg, Anderson, Rome, Dalton, Gainesville that's atleast 120,000 combined

Together with the piedmont cities he posted the Piedmont is a round 848,136. A 240,000 difference. Point the Texas triangle GDP is larger but they're comparable and closer than what posters are describing.

like this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Exactly. The Piedmont doesn't compare to the Texas Triangle economically.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:49 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
I love how worked up everyone here is getting over GDP. LOL!

I come into the thread every now and then to see if the conversation has progressed out of the GDP stage, lol.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post

I come into the thread every now and then to see if the conversation has progressed out of the GDP stage, lol.
Yo they're ignoring 6 million people worth of GDP on the piedmont not being added, then say the piedmont doesn’t compare to the hold Texas triangle. Naw really? )

Old 05-25-2010, 06:10 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Yo they're ignoring 6 million people worth of GDP on the piedmont not being added, then say the piedmont doesn’t compare to the hold Texas triangle. Naw really? )
6 million people is Houston metro's size, meaning it's massive. I'm guessing based off of my estimated math, that if it maintains a unemplyment of 8.5% (average for overall below national) with 6 million people, it will be something like 180 billion USD. And that's just with my estimates going off of the number of people with moderate employment. I'm not near my laptop and using my phone, so I'll calculate it later on when I get the chance for the actual number.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:25 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
It matters when they're not counted in the GDP output. I'm not aruging the Piedmont GDP is larger than the Texas Triangle, I'm arguing against the notion that the "Piedmont just doesn't match up economically with the Texas Triangle." when more than half of that gap existed when SouthmoreAve added up the GDP's is because, he or she didn't add up all the piedmont cities, and their GDP's are closer.

it's more like
Texas Triangle 966,500
Piedmont Atlantic 848,136

NOT

Texas Triangle 966,500
Piedmont Atlantic 608,136

A 350,000 gap is alot larger that of a 120,000 gap.

This was his post. the 3rd tire cities are red, and also he or she counted none of the 4th tires cities on the piedmont. Again the piedmont is more balance the 3-4 tires cities add up more in population then that of Atlanta or any of the 2nd tire cities. Unlike the Texas triangle with more than half it's population in 2 metros.

But yet he or she didn't count the 19 million, more like 13 million of the piedmont. The Texas Triangle is a million residents less but have a GDP 120,000 more, not a million people less but have a GDP 1.5 size of the Piedmont.

Looking at Greenville and Winston-Salem, they're 20,000, add Augusta, Columbia, Macon, Columbus, Chattanooga, Huntsville, Fayetteville that aleast 120,000 right there, than some of those metros are larger than Greenville and Winston-Salem so it's proably larger than that.

Now look at waco. Killeen, there 7,00 to 15,000

So lets say that, these metros GDP is 10,000. Cullman, Anniston, Gadsden, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, and Talladega Al, Athens GA. Spartanburg, Anderson, Rome, Dalton, Gainesville that's atleast 120,000 combined

Together with the piedmont cities he posted the Piedmont is a round 848,136. A 240,000 difference. Point the Texas triangle GDP is larger but they're comparable and closer than what posters are describing.

like this
Did you just completely miss this post? https://www.city-data.com/forum/14300428-post85.html

So again, the Piedmont can't compare to the Texas Triangle economically, even with a higher population.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:20 AM

937 posts, read 927,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You guys must live in the NORTHERN ATL suburbs to get to Charlotte in only 3hrs. Either that, or you guys are going 75 the whole way on I-85.
Well, south east of Smyrna, and I follow the flow of traffic and there's usually one person that's going really fast. So I just tail that guy from a slight distance.
I don't think I've ever hit a speed trap in SC. It may just be the times of day that I make my CLT-ATL trips

Old 05-25-2010, 10:45 AM

213 posts, read 420,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post

I Knew it was going to be brought in that way too... Thats why I said both regions are great regions for young and old... They both beat each other in some area... Its going to get worse and the thread will close.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Did you just completely miss this post? https://www.city-data.com/forum/14300428-post85.html

So again, the Piedmont can't compare to the Texas Triangle economically, even with a higher population.
He or she still left out Chattanooga, Huntsville, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Talladega, Gainesville, Anderson, Spartanburg, which is probably between 25,000-75,000 to the Piedmont judging by the other small piedmont cities, but what ever.

Piedmont-711,435
Triangle-972,964
is what he or she got adding those cities not all the piedmont cities but still alot better it’s over 100,000 more to the piedmont.

Again Point the Texas triangle GDP is larger but they're comparable and closer than what posters are describing. Then what your describing even when seeing it. Your acting like it's 400,000 to 900,000. Serously Piedmont can't compare to the Texas Triangle economically really? wow are we looking at the same thing.

Then The Texas Triangle and The Piedmont populations is compable your acting like the piedmont is 5 to 10 million more. but yeah your right they're not comparable the piedmont to the texas triangle it’s like comparing Chicago to New York in GDP.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:05 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
Quote:
He or she still left out Chattanooga, Huntsville, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Talladega, Gainesville, Anderson, Spartanburg, which is probably between 25,000-75,000 to the Piedmont judging by the other small piedmont cities, but what ever.

Piedmont-711,435
Triangle-972,964
is what he or she got adding those cities not all the piedmont cities but still alot better it’s over 100,000 more to the piedmont.

Again Point the Texas triangle GDP is larger but they're comparable and closer than what posters are describing. Then what your describing even when seeing it. Your acting like it's 400,000 to 900,000. Serously Piedmont can't compare to the Texas Triangle economically really? wow are we looking at the same thing.

Then The Texas Triangle and The Piedmont populations is compable your acting like the piedmont is 5 to 10 million more. but yeah your right they're not comparable the piedmont to the texas triangle it’s like comparing Chicago to New York in GDP.
I’m looking at the same numbers and it don't compare. Nobody is dissing the Piedmont but with all respect it doesn't compete very well economically with the Texas triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City