Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which megapolis would come first?
Texas triangle 109 52.91%
Piedmont Atlantic 97 47.09%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:38 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Education goes to the Piedmont easily. Atlanta and Raleigh-Durham alone are enough for that one. I'd give Texas a slight edge in the medical field largely because of Houston, but the Piedmont is not very far behind at all. Maybe that's worth looking into though, because it could be equal with Raleigh-Durham, Atlanta, and Birmingham taking the lead in that area. Don't know enough about biotech as an industry in Texas to really say, but that is Raleigh-Durham's specialty.

There's also San Antonio

South Texas Medical Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brooke Army Medical Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 12:20 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,706 times
Medical- I'd give the edge to Triangle because of TMC, but the Piedmont is not that far behind with Atlanta, Durham in RDU, and Birmingham

Biotech-I definitly give to Piedmont. NC has 4 actual Research Parks in the State by itself, with South Carolina having One outside of Clemson and One in Alabama. While texas has 4. Then there are the research schools in Piedmont Atlantic, Birmingham has 1, Atlanta has 3, SC partion has 1 at Clemson, and in NC there are 6. While in Texas there are 5 public research schools and 2 private that I could find.

Media, Would go to Piedmont, Georgia and NC are in a lot of Movies and Atlanta HQ for some networks puts it over Texas

Food Industry-for Variety I would go with TExas, but for taste I would say its a Tie

Financial- 5 of the 30 largest banks are located in Piedmont while 2 are located in Texas

Retail- I dont shop expensive so I wouldnt know who has better ritzy shopping

Tourism- I want to say Texas because Houston is located on the Water, but who could really tell, it might even be even.

Convention- I know that Atlanta and Houston are big Convention cities with lots of conventions, IDK about Dallas/other texas cities and other Piedmont cities so I couldnt tell you the better one.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:01 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
You always say this, but can you prove it?

Nope.

Education - draw
Medical - Texas Triangle
Biotech - draw
Media - Piedmont
Food Industry - Texas Triangle
Financial - Piedmont
Retail - Texas Triangle
Tourism - I'd say draw for now, but the TT leading in the future
Convention - Texas Triangle
Education - Draw? you can't be serious? Atlanta by itself beat every Texas city, The research triangle beats every Texas city. But somehow Atlanta and the Research triangle combine is a draw with the Texas Triangle? What?

Biotech - May be it is a draw? but when the fort mcpherson redevelopment is complete into a biotech research park, The Piedmont.

Medical- This is actually debatable, Houston would be number 1, Atlanta would be 2, and the Research triangle would be 3. The blow for the Texas triangle would be DFW isn’t a major medical center especially for it’s size. Their's is San Antonio and Austin, but their's Birmingham, Charlotte and Greensboro and the Upstate. I don’t know but probably the piedmont got this. but I say it's debatable.

Food Industry - Would imagine Texas wining in cattle, but as quantity of food companies the piedmont.

Tourism and Convention see below
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulchild23 View Post
Atlanta Alone is more tourism and
conventions from overseas and local. I know it passed Houston for both..

Most visited cities by overall overseas travelers 2009

1. New York City - 7,792,000
2. Miami - 2,661,000
3. Los Angeles - 2,518,000
4. Orlando - 2,399,000
5, San Francisco - 2,233,000
6. Las Vegas - 1,853,000
7. Washington - 1,544,000
8. Honolulu - 1,497,000
9. Boston - 1,140,000
10. Chicago - 1,118,000
11. San Diego - 618,000
12. Philadelphia - 594,000
13. Atlanta - 570,000
14. Houston - 428,000

Top Cities for Leisure Travel.

1. New York City - 20.5%
2. Miami 14.8%
3. Los Angeles 9.8%
4. Honolulu 8.9%
5. Newark 7.7%
6. Guam 6.7%
7. Chicago 5.3%
8. Orlando 5%
9. San Francisco 4.9%
10. Atlanta 2.7%
11. Washington 2.5%
12. Boston 1.8%
13. Philadelphia 1.6%
14. Houston 1.2%

Top Cities for Business Travel.

1. New York City - 17.5%
2. Miami 12.7%
3. Los Angeles 11.9%
4. Chicago 8.8%
5. San Francisco 8.6%
6. Newark 8.3%
7. Atlanta 5.8%
8. Washington 5.6%
9. Houston 3.6%
10. Boston 3.1%
11. Philadelphia 2.5%
12. Honolulu 1.1%
13. Orlando 0.9%
14. Guam 0.3%

http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/outreachpag...or_Profile.pdf

Old 05-22-2010, 02:14 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
I am a Texan and we don’t come close to the piedmont as far as education. No secret the state of Texas puts as less money as possible in education. This is mainly why we only have 3 tier one institutions in the entire state very pathetic.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:26 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,744 times
Well for education, you have major instititutions like Texas A&M, University of Texas, SMU, Baylor, and Rice. You also have some notable ones like TCU, Trinity University, UH to a much lesser extent, etc.

But thats just to prove that the TX triangle has some pretty good universities, its much more than just UT and TAMU, etc. But I would assume the Piedmont beats the Triangle in this reguard.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Education - Draw? you can't be serious? Atlanta by itself beat every Texas city, The research triangle beats every Texas city. But somehow Atlanta and the Research triangle combine is a draw with the Texas Triangle? What?

Biotech - May be it is a draw? but when the fort mcpherson redevelopment is complete into a biotech research park, The Piedmont.

Medical- This is actually debatable, Houston would be number 1, Atlanta would be 2, and the Research triangle would be 3. The blow for the Texas triangle would be DFW isn’t a major medical center especially for it’s size. Their's is San Antonio and Austin, but their's Birmingham, Charlotte and Greensboro and the Upstate. I don’t know but probably the piedmont got this. but I say it's debatable.

Food Industry - Would imagine Texas wining in cattle, but as quantity of food companies the piedmont.

Please don't underestimate DFW in Medical department. In 2007 there where 5 DFW hospitals among the nation best Baylor University Medical Center, Baylor Institute for Rehabilitation, Parkland Memorial Hospital, Presbyterian.

UT Southwestern Medical Center ranked 20th for primary care and 20th for research.

I would certainly hope the largest metro in the south would have some good medical institutions.
Five Dallas hospitals among nation's best, magazine says - Dallas Business Journal

Old 05-22-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Well for education, you have major instititutions like Texas A&M, University of Texas, SMU, Baylor, and Rice. You also have some notable ones like TCU, Trinity University, UH to a much lesser extent, etc.

But thats just to prove that the TX triangle has some pretty good universities, its much more than just UT and TAMU, etc. But I would assume the Piedmont beats the Triangle in this reguard.
UT-Dallas has the highest SAT scores in the State our institutions are top notch just that we need more tier 1's schools in the state.

Tier 1=research=$$$$$

Old 05-22-2010, 02:49 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

Dallas has a Medical District called Southwestern Medical District.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:07 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Dallas has a Medical District called Southwestern Medical District.

Most major cities have a major medical complex or hub - Houstons is very notable for it's size and ratings plus growth over the last 20 years

Old 05-22-2010, 03:22 PM

213 posts, read 420,930 times
Both regions are great region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City