Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which megapolis would come first?
Texas triangle 109 52.91%
Piedmont Atlantic 97 47.09%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:58 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,098,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I live in Charlotte, and have been to Raleigh and ATL, and Durham and I used to live in Austin. THE PIEDMONT HAS GAPS!! Just like the Texas Triangle does. Those maps don't show much, they only show the respective metros. The Piedmont is NOT continuous urbanization. It's just like the Texas Triangle(if not more rural). The Texas Triangle has roughly 17million people within a land area the size of Georgia. I mean Rock Hill, Fort Mill, VERY rural and it's a while before you see real urbanization again when heading South towards Greenville and ATL. Why do people think it's any different with the piedmont than with the TX triangle? BOTH are fairly rural in-between there cities.
I lived in the Charlotte area as a child, concord, I just didn't put charlotte in my user name because it wasn't long, And I had live out in texas about 8 years. I personally drove from Dallas to waco to Austin as well as Fort Worth to Killeen tx. The piedmont Metros and CSA are already adjust and touching each other of course the outer end of each MSA or CSA is exurb to rural. they just need to become more DENSE that what your seeing. but their are multi hours gaps just between the metro CSA in the Texas triangle alone. it's not same "The Piedmont is NOT continuous urbanization" The Texas Triangle is not even continuous at all.

Last edited by chiatldal; 05-21-2010 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 11:12 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Polo does have an argument for Interstate 35 portion of the Texas triangle though. It's about 50 to 60 minutes of rural land between Dallas and Waco. Once you get through Waco, you arrive in Temple in about 20 minutes and once you leave Temple-Belton, you arrive in the Austin area in about 30 minutes. The only real gap on the I-35 portion is the DFW to Waco part. The rest is equal to the piedmont that many are talking about. The gaps are not that long.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:37 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I lived in the Charlotte area as a child, concord, I just didn't put charlotte in my user name because it wasn't long, And I had live out in texas about 8 years. I personally drove from Dallas to waco to Austin as well as Fort Worth to Killeen tx. The piedmont Metros and CSA are already adjust and touching each other of course the outer end of each MSA or CSA is exurb to rural. they just need to become more DENSE that what your seeing. but their are multi hours gaps just between the metro CSA in the Texas triangle alone. it's not same "The Piedmont is NOT continuous urbanization" The Texas Triangle is not even continuous at all.
I've also driven from Austin up I-35 all the way to Charlotte when me and my fam were moving here(I also currently live in Concord). I-35 has the same type of continuation I-85 does(I mean Austin is a city of 700,000+ only an hour from SA 1.3million), and I-45 from Houston to Dallas just looks like 85 from Charlotte to Greenville and Greenville to Atlanta( there is a HUGE gap from Greenville to ATL). And remember, the Texas Triangle Area has 17million people in a land area the size of GA.

Last edited by polo89; 05-21-2010 at 11:51 AM..

Old 05-21-2010, 11:39 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
When you are driving NE from Atlanta on I-85 and you pass the Mall of Georgia it is very rural for the next 2 hours until you reach the Greenville area. Once you leave Spartanburg it is rural until Gastonia. I havent been past Charlotte on 85 to Raleigh but I cant imagine that whole corridor is very developed. I wouldnt even include the Atlanta to Birmingham stretch because between those two cities is open countryside. The west side of Atlanta isnt very developed and Birmingham isnt that large of a metro.

In Texas the I-35 corridor is much more developed minus a stretch between Waxahachie and Waco. But the trip from Dallas to Houston or Houston to SA/Austin or SA/Austin to Dallas is much closer than Raleigh to Birmingham. I think the Texas Triangle has a lot more potential.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:08 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,098,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Polo does have an argument for Interstate 35 portion of the Texas triangle though. It's about 50 to 60 minutes of rural land between Dallas and Waco. Once you get through Waco, you arrive in Temple in about 20 minutes and once you leave Temple-Belton, you arrive in the Austin area in about 30 minutes. The only real gap on the I-35 portion is the DFW to Waco part. The rest is equal to the piedmont that many are talking about. The gaps are not that long.
Look at the Piedmont corridor and then look at the Texas triangle itself. There are rural and exurban areas in the Piedmont corridor but their waaay more gaps and rural areas in the Texas triangle. The piedmont has already reach exurb to exurb in some places it just the density is not up to Megatropolis yet. The Texas triangle metros haven’t expand to abut each other yet. Now if Polo is going to say referring the maps I posted earlier not the ones below “Those maps don't show much, they only show the respective metros. The Piedmont is NOT continuous urbanization” Well.. the Problem with that is if there rural areas regardless, that most of the metros are adjusted and touching each other in piedmont what does that say about the Texas triangle when most of the metros are not abutting each other?

These maps show cores urban areas.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:27 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
I understand what you're saying. I was specifically talking about I-35. It is very similar to the I-85 of North Carolina. Now those maps look to be scaled from the 2000 census. Because the area between Austin and San Antonio has grown rapidly. Really, San Antonio to the Killeen-Temple area is one long megalopolis and that's around 130 miles. Then you have Waco 20-30 minutes up the road. Then there is a gap between Waco and Dallas.

Now when you bring Houston in the conversation, that's where we see eye to eye on that. It really isn't a good comparison because I-10 from SA to Hou will never be developed nor will Houston to Dallas on I-45.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:55 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I live in Charlotte, and have been to Raleigh and ATL, and Durham and I used to live in Austin. THE PIEDMONT HAS GAPS!! Just like the Texas Triangle does. Those maps don't show much, they only show the respective metros. The Piedmont is NOT continuous urbanization. It's just like the Texas Triangle(if not more rural). The Texas Triangle has roughly 17million people within a land area the size of Georgia. I mean Rock Hill, Fort Mill, VERY rural and it's a while before you see real urbanization again when heading South towards Greenville and ATL. Why do people think it's any different with the piedmont than with the TX triangle? BOTH are fairly rural in-between there cities.
Actually you don't even pass through Rock Hill or Fort Mill driving between Charlotte and Atlanta...isn't Rock Hill on the way to Columbia?

It seems like some people are judging the nature of certain areas by what is visible from the highway - I know I tend to do that as well. Keep in mind that most urban/suburban development ISN'T visible from the highway and areas can be very built up just beyond the trees.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:58 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
When you are driving NE from Atlanta on I-85 and you pass the Mall of Georgia it is very rural for the next 2 hours until you reach the Greenville area. Once you leave Spartanburg it is rural until Gastonia. I havent been past Charlotte on 85 to Raleigh but I cant imagine that whole corridor is very developed. I wouldnt even include the Atlanta to Birmingham stretch because between those two cities is open countryside. The west side of Atlanta isnt very developed and Birmingham isnt that large of a metro.

In Texas the I-35 corridor is much more developed minus a stretch between Waxahachie and Waco. But the trip from Dallas to Houston or Houston to SA/Austin or SA/Austin to Dallas is much closer than Raleigh to Birmingham. I think the Texas Triangle has a lot more potential.
That was my point in my last post...it's really impossible to judge how "built up" an area is just by what you can see from the highway. Some of the areas you mentioned are very developed (Gainesville, Anderson, Clemson, etc.) but you have to exit I-85 to see the development.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I understand what you're saying. I was specifically talking about I-35. It is very similar to the I-85 of North Carolina. Now those maps look to be scaled from the 2000 census. Because the area between Austin and San Antonio has grown rapidly. Really, San Antonio to the Killeen-Temple area is one long megalopolis and that's around 130 miles. Then you have Waco 20-30 minutes up the road. Then there is a gap between Waco and Dallas.

Now when you bring Houston in the conversation, that's where we see eye to eye on that. It really isn't a good comparison because I-10 from SA to Hou will never be developed nor will Houston to Dallas on I-45.
Exactly. I-35 corridor is a better comparion because it's structured similarly to the Piedmont area (Is Nashville really part of it?). The Texas Triangle is about the size of Georgia and is structured differently than the Piedmont region.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:04 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Look at the Piedmont corridor and then look at the Texas triangle itself. There are rural and exurban areas in the Piedmont corridor but their waaay more gaps and rural areas in the Texas triangle. The piedmont has already reach exurb to exurb in some places it just the density is not up to Megatropolis yet. The Texas triangle metros haven’t expand to abut each other yet. Now if Polo is going to say referring the maps I posted earlier not the ones below “Those maps don't show much, they only show the respective metros. The Piedmont is NOT continuous urbanization” Well.. the Problem with that is if there rural areas regardless, that most of the metros are adjusted and touching each other in piedmont what does that say about the Texas triangle when most of the metros are not abutting each other?

These maps show cores urban areas.

Yeah, to echo what Spade said, the map looks older. The I-35 corridor is ALOT more interconnected than what that map suggest. What about Beaumont and some of the other mid-sized cities sin East Texas? The Piedmont map seems to have EVERY city and town in-between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City