Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which megapolis would come first?
Texas triangle 109 52.91%
Piedmont Atlantic 97 47.09%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:59 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The Piedmont has more chance of becoming a megalopolis because the cities are daisy chained closer together. This is already happening among Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro and Winston Salem. Each year it gets harder and harder to find yourself in no-man's land as development spills to the edges along I-40/I-85. It's sort of following the path of Florida along I-95. a bigger gap exists between Greensboro and Charlotte but I can see that changing over time as well. From there southward, I don't have enough experience to comment.
There is much less of a gap between Winston-Salem and Charlotte...and it's closer than Greensboro-Charlotte using I-40 to I-77.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 04:49 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post

Taking over the thread isn't going to make it happen. I'd rather read logical explainations.
Thank you. I don't understand why so man want to turn this into a dick-riding/pi$$ing contest, but to each their own I guess.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:43 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
They are both great regions of this country. I do think the Texas Triangle has a lot more to offer and is the fastest growing area in the country now. But the Piedmont Corridor is a nice area.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:26 AM

415 posts, read 1,209,966 times
DUUHHH PIEDMONT TRIAD! Said and done! lol love Greensboro Winston-Salem and High Point! And High Point is an International City itself!!

Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You Do know Atlanta and Upstate SC is between Charlotte and Birmingham right? it's like saying how far is DC is to NY as if Baltimore and Philly didn’t exist.

Let me stop you their.

But Atlanta is 1 1/2hr from the Upstate SC CSA Upstate South Carolina which is right next to Metro Charlotte. Don't jump from Atlanta to Charlotte, Atlanta-Upstate SC- then Charlotte. Yall are acting like Greensville doesn't exist when it's CSA is over a million.

"Charlotte to Birmingham is like 5hrs" and Boston to Philly is like maybe 5hrs? I don't get why did you stated that?

Peterburg VA where did that come from? VA is not consider apart of the Piedmont Megapolis. Charlotte, Greenboro (the triad), Raleigh (The triangle) is apart of the Piedmont Cresent, Raleigh is the last city.

Maybe this is a better way to put this

Birmingham, Aniston AL, Atlanta, Greenville SC. Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh is a clear corridor like the northeast it just need to be Denser. I wounder How many people are voting ignoring areas on the corridor like Upstate South Carolina CSA and confusing their selves by making gaps?

The idea was The Piedmont cities have little to none gaps between it just need to grow denser but it's growing slower, The Texas triangle is growing faster but has very large gaps. so which one would come first.
They both have large gaps, the route from ATL to GREENVILLE, to Charlotte, to Raleigh, to Durham, is very rural and heavily wooded. Not alot of infill, just like the TX Triangle(except for the wooded part).

Old 05-21-2010, 08:43 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
They both have large gaps, the route from ATL to GREENVILLE, to Charlotte, to Raleigh, to Durham, is very rural and heavily wooded. Not alot of infill, just like the TX Triangle(except for the wooded part).
True and another thing to point is that the Texas triangle is like the size of Georgia itself; of course it won't have amazing infill, but the 35 corridor has tons of it and you won't have to go over 100 miles (maybe even 50) without seeing some type of development or infill.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:51 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
The Florida Triangle wins this Tampa, Orlando, Miami. We're already getting the rail suckas!

But of these two I'd rather live in Piedmont, nicer weather in my opinion.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
True and another thing to point is that the Texas triangle is like the size of Georgia itself; of course it won't have amazing infill, but the 35 corridor has tons of it and you won't have to go over 100 miles (maybe even 50) without seeing some type of development or infill.
Exactly. From Dallas to San Antonio has ALOT of sprawl from the satellite cities and suburbs of the medium sized cities that populate I-35(especially Austin to San Antonio).

Old 05-21-2010, 10:26 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
NOO very small gap seriously unlike the Texas triangle don’t even try ). The Piedmont is very wooded, the cities and metros are also very wooded. Texas triangle has 2 hours gaps the piedmont has 20-30 minutes to no gaps seriously. Piedmont Atlantic need to grow denser! gaps aren’t really the issue.

Raleigh-Durham-Cary CSA

Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point CSA

Charlotte CSA abuts Greenville's CSA there is no gap they just need to grow denser.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...trolinamap.png

Greenville-Anderson- Spartanburg CSA or Upstate SC 1,335,571,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9b/Upstate_South_Carolina.png (broken link)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9b/Upstate_South_Carolina.png (broken link)

"to Raleigh, to Durham" You do know Raleigh, Chapel Hill and Durham is already in CSA call The Triangle?

Atlanta CSA, Athens MSA, Rome MSA

Only 4 rural counties separate Atlanta CSA and Athens MSA from Greenville CSA. That’s 20-30 min remember how small GA counties are. It's like 1 texas county, if that.

This is the other small gap but there are small Metros between Atlanta and Birhingham. Directly, 30 mins either way, not like Waco, and Killeen TX between DFW in Austin that like 1 to 2 hours gap either way.

Anniston–Oxford metropolitan

and Gadsden MSA

Than Birmingham–Hoover–Cullman

Last edited by chiatldal; 05-21-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 05-21-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
NOO very small gap Seriously unlike the Texas triangle don’t try. The Piedmont is very wooded, the cities and metros are also very wooded. Texas triangle has 2 hours gaps the piedmont has 20-30 minutes to no gaps seriously. Piedmont Atlantic need to grow denser! gaps aren’t really the issue.

Raleigh-Durham-Cary CSA

Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point CSA

Charlotte CSA abuts Greenville's CSA there is no gap they just need to grow denser I know what I saying.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...trolinamap.png

Greenville-Anderson- Spartanburg CSA or Upstate SC 1,335,571,

"to Raleigh, to Durham" You do know Raleigh, Chapel Hill and Durham is already in CSA call The Triangle?

Atlanta CSA, Athens MSA, Rome MSA

Only 4 rural counties separate Atlanta CSA and Athens MSA from Greenville CSA. That’s 20-30 min remember how small GA counties are. It's like 1 texas county, if that.

This is the other small gap but are small Metros between Atlanta and Birhingham.

Anniston–Oxford metropolitan

and Gadsden MSA

Than Birmingham–Hoover–Cullman
I live in Charlotte, and have been to Raleigh and ATL, and Durham and I used to live in Austin. THE PIEDMONT HAS GAPS!! Just like the Texas Triangle does. Those maps don't show much, they only show the respective metros. The Piedmont is NOT continuous urbanization. It's just like the Texas Triangle(if not more rural). The Texas Triangle has roughly 17million people within a land area the size of Georgia. I mean Rock Hill, Fort Mill, VERY rural and it's a while before you see real urbanization again when heading South towards Greenville and ATL. Why do people think it's any different with the piedmont than with the TX triangle? BOTH are fairly rural in-between there cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City