Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which megapolis would come first?
Texas triangle 109 52.91%
Piedmont Atlantic 97 47.09%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 03:28 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Most major cities have a major medical complex or hub - Houstons is very notable for it's size and ratings plus growth over the last 20 years
Southwestern Medical District, 231 acre campus in Dallas.

Hospitals: Parkland Memorial Hospital, Children's Medical Center, St. Paul University Hospital, and Zale Libsey University Hospital.

Schools: The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (UT Southwestern) is one of the leading academic medical centers in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 03:33 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I think the real question is, do we really WANT to see both of the areas continuously built up between their major metro areas? It would be an absolute sprawlicious mess.
+1 for you!

I completely agree! The Southern part of the Appalachians and the Texas Hill Country (and I've been to both) are two of the most beautiful parts of the US and it would suck to see both areas natural land scape cut up and ruined by California hills style cookie cutter suburbs.

Anyway, to answer the topic, I'm going to have to go with the Triangle. Obviously, the main reason is because I live here, but we also have a better music scene, art scene, food scene, better architecture, more business opportunities etc. Honestly, I even prefer the landscape of the Hill Country over the Piedmont area.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:39 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Well for education, you have major instititutions like Texas A&M, University of Texas, SMU, Baylor, and Rice. You also have some notable ones like TCU, Trinity University, UH to a much lesser extent, etc.

But thats just to prove that the TX triangle has some pretty good universities, its much more than just UT and TAMU, etc. But I would assume the Piedmont beats the Triangle in this reguard.
Honestly, as much as I'd hate to go against Texas and my own university (UofH), I'd still have to go with Piedmont for higher level education. Although those are all great schools you mentioned, even the combination of all of the can compete with the combination of Georgia and the Research Triangle. So I would have to agree with you on this.

Last edited by wpmeads; 05-22-2010 at 04:01 PM..

Old 05-22-2010, 04:13 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You Do know Atlanta and Upstate SC is between Charlotte and Birmingham right? it's like saying how far is DC is to NY as if Baltimore and Philly didn’t exist.

Let me stop you their.

But Atlanta is 1 1/2hr from the Upstate SC CSA Upstate South Carolina which is right next to Metro Charlotte. Don't jump from Atlanta to Charlotte, Atlanta-Upstate SC- then Charlotte. Yall are acting like Greensville doesn't exist when it's CSA is over a million.

"Charlotte to Birmingham is like 5hrs" and Boston to Philly is like maybe 5hrs? I don't get why did you stated that?

Peterburg VA where did that come from? VA is not consider apart of the Piedmont Megapolis. Charlotte, Greenboro (the triad), Raleigh (The triangle) is apart of the Piedmont Cresent, Raleigh is the last city.

Maybe this is a better way to put this

Birmingham, Aniston AL, Atlanta, Greenville SC. Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh is a clear corridor like the northeast it just need to be Denser. I wounder How many people are voting ignoring areas on the corridor like Upstate South Carolina CSA and confusing their selves by making gaps?

The idea was The Piedmont cities have little to none gaps between it just need to grow denser but it's growing slower, The Texas triangle is growing faster but has very large gaps. so which one would come first.
I was thinking the same thing in regards to this thread. The Piedmont Crescent is where the piedmont megaregion starts and it spreads through Upstate, SC down to Atlanta and to Bham. Some of these cities pill in other mid-size to smaller cities. Like Raleigh pulling in Fayetteville, Charlotte pulling in Coulmbia, etc.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:01 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Well for education, you have major instititutions like Texas A&M, University of Texas, SMU, Baylor, and Rice. You also have some notable ones like TCU, Trinity University, UH to a much lesser extent, etc.

But thats just to prove that the TX triangle has some pretty good universities, its much more than just UT and TAMU, etc. But I would assume the Piedmont beats the Triangle in this reguard.
Both areas have some good schools, but the Piedmont wins this one 10-4...

Top 100 National Universities:

Piedmont - Duke (8), Emory (17), UNC-Chapel Hill (28), Wake Forest (28), Georgia Tech (35), UGA (58), Clemson (61), Auburn (88), NC State (88), Alabama (96)

Texas Triangle - Rice (17), UT-Austin (47), Texas A&M (61), SMU (68)

*I apologize in advance if I left anyone out.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:30 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Both areas have some good schools, but the Piedmont wins this one 10-4...

Top 100 National Universities:

Piedmont - Duke (8), Emory (17), UNC-Chapel Hill (28), Wake Forest (28), Georgia Tech (35), UGA (58), Clemson (61), Auburn (88), NC State (88), Alabama (96)

Texas Triangle - Rice (17), UT-Austin (47), Texas A&M (61), SMU (68)

*I apologize in advance if I left anyone out.
Baylor (80)

Old 05-22-2010, 07:25 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Is Auburn in the Piedmont megalopolis. Seems to be too far out to be considered.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Baylor (80)
Oops...10-5.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Is Auburn in the Piedmont megalopolis. Seems to be too far out to be considered.
Auburn is part of the Columbus GA CSA...and Columbus is definitely part of the Piedmont Crescent.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:45 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,646 times
Texas Triangle has DFW and Houston, while Piedmont has ATL. There really isn't much of an economic comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City