Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which megapolis would come first?
Texas triangle 109 52.91%
Piedmont Atlantic 97 47.09%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times

Advertisements

While the TT has Houston and DFW as top tier cities and PAM only has Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham out perform San Antonio and Austin GRP by $30 billion. Added to that fact, as previously mentioned, you have other mid-sized cities that are gravitated to ATL. Mainly I am referring to East Tennessee. I do have to concede that Houston and DFW prove to have a distance too far and great for these cities to make up for. That being said I believe the distance will get closer due to the amount of cities in PAM which are being led in econ growth by Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham. I am not ignoring the growth of Houston and DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 01:10 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The speed limit is at least 65 through all parts of SC, and is 70 most of the way between Atlanta and Charlotte. I adhere to the speed limit the entire way due to past infractions, and I easily get to Charlotte in 3 hours - living in the southside of Atlanta.
I see. The last time I made the drive up through NC/VA/MD, I was coming from Kennesaw. Now that I live in Decatur, it'll be much faster for me to get out of Metro Atlanta (and avoid the Top End of I-285). I'm usually flying through on I-85 in Georgia, but as soon as I hit the SC border, I slow down.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:34 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I see. The last time I made the drive up through NC/VA/MD, I was coming from Kennesaw. Now that I live in Decatur, it'll be much faster for me to get out of Metro Atlanta (and avoid the Top End of I-285). I'm usually flying through on I-85 in Georgia, but as soon as I hit the SC border, I slow down.
Yeah, I got a speeding ticket in Greenville not long ago...where the speed limit suddenly drops to 65 and I was still going 75. I don't usually go more than 5 mph over the speed limit.

It will definitely make your trips faster by avoiding the top end Perimeter. You can easily spend half an hour there.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:45 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I completely agree! I am a bit bias though.

Yeah I know. It sucks. I'd hate to see that all the way from Killeen to San Antonio, which is the way things seem to be heading.
I went back to Austin last summer after 5yrs, and witnessed the Californification of Austin and SA. Palm trees being planted everywhere, Spanish/California-style apartments on a hill in Round Rock with palm trees. And the wost part about it is, I kinda think it looks nice. But I agree, they don't want to OVER do it. But it looks quite nice to me.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:49 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
You guys must live in the NORTHERN ATL suburbs to get to Charlotte in only 3hrs. Either that, or you guys are going 75 the whole way on I-85.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:29 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,706 times
It takesme 3.5 to 4 hours to drive between Charlotte and Atlanta 75-80 in GA and NC 65-70 in SC. And this is coming from Oakhurst Neighborhood in CLT to Riverdale in ATL

Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I went back to Austin last summer after 5yrs, and witnessed the Californification of Austin and SA. Palm trees being planted everywhere, Spanish/California-style apartments on a hill in Round Rock with palm trees. And the wost part about it is, I kinda think it looks nice. But I agree, they don't want to OVER do it. But it looks quite nice to me.
I mean, growth is exciting and all and well planned suburbs can be very nice, but over doing it in that area can be a bad thing. Hopefully, most of that development wont expand too far west and stays mostly to on the east side.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Right, I realize that...but this was DV1033's post: "Texas Triangle has DFW and Houston, while Piedmont has ATL. There really isn't much of an economic comparison."

My response was to the fact that he left out 5 Piedmont cities and 2 TT cities that are easily large enough to be mentioned. The Piedmont isn't just Atlanta, and the TT isn't just Dallas and Houston.
That's true but I was merely speaking of economic powerhouses, should have been clearer. Individually, Houston and DFW are greater than ATL, but together they are enormous compared to Piedmont's two largest metros. Piedmont certainly has more medium sized cities compared to Texas but Houston and DFW make up for that. Piedmont just doesn't match up economically with the Texas Triangle.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:50 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
That's true but I was merely speaking of economic powerhouses, should have been clearer. Individually, Houston and DFW are greater than ATL, but together they are enormous compared to Piedmont's two largest metros. Piedmont certainly has more medium sized cities compared to Texas but Houston and DFW make up for that. Piedmont just doesn't match up economically with the Texas Triangle.
Oh Yes the piedmont does! your really missing what DeaconJ is saying

The Texas triangle

1. DFW, Houston
2. Austin San Antonio
3. Killen/Temple, Waco, Bryan

The Piedmont

1. Atlanta
2. Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Birmingham
3. Winston-Salem, Greenville, Augusta, Columbia, Macon, Columbus, Chattanooga, Huntsville, Fayetteville
4. Cullman, Anniston, Gadsden, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, and Talladega Al, Athens GA. Spartanburg, Anderson, Rome, Dalton,

On the piedmont If you add the 3 tier up the population is over 4 million, If you added the 4 tier up the population is over 2 million. unlike the Texas triangle with most of population staying in 2 metros. The piedmont is more balance. The GRP of these mid size metro combine 3 and 4 tier on the piedmont are highier than Atlanta.

Southmoreave did a GRP of the piedmont and left over 6 million people worth of GRP out! Of the piedmont. Yes the Texas triangle has 2 top tier cities but the medium size metros which the Piedmont has way more of, adds up.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:58 AM

200 posts, read 294,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Oh Yes the piedmont does! your really missing what DeaconJ is saying

The Texas triangle

1. DFW, Houston
2. Austin San Antonio
3. Killen/Temple, Waco, Bryan

The Piedmont

1. Atlanta
2. Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Birmingham
3. Winston-Salem, Greenville, Augusta, Columbia, Macon, Columbus, Chattanooga, Huntsville, Fayetteville
4. Cullman, Anniston, Gadsden, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, and Talladega Al, Athens GA. Spartanburg, Anderson, Rome, Dalton,

On the piedmont If you add the 3 tier up the population is over 4 million, If you added the 4 tier up the population is over 2 million. unlike the Texas triangle with most of population staying in 2 metros. The piedmont is more balance. The GRP of these mid size metro combine 3 and 4 tier on the piedmont are highier than Atlanta.

Southmoreave did a GRP of the piedmont and left over 6 million people worth of GRP out! Of the piedmont. Yes the Texas triangle has 2 top tier cities but the medium size metros which the Piedmont has way more of, adds up.
Does it really matter if the Piedmont area has more 2nd, 3rd, 4th tier cities if the Triangle still comes out on top in terms of GDP output. SouthmoreAve did a revised calculation of the areas combined GDP, the Texas Triangle still had a noticeable gap lead compared to the Piedmont area despite having a smaller population. Now if Houston or DFW were to be struck by a catastrophe, then the Triangle and the state would really feel the effects. But until that really happens (and God forbids), I think the Texas Triangle will have the economic edge for the foreseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City