Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston (Metropolitan area included) 261 47.11%
San Francisco (Bay Area/Metro) 293 52.89%
Voters: 554. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 07:24 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
There’s no independence hall if we didn’t have the revolutionary battles....Quincy market and Faneuil Hall are part of the freedom trail 2.5 miles of history that includes Paul reveres ride preceding battles of lexington and concord, early revolutionary battle at bunker hill, events leading to revolution including a tea party and a massacre, us first public school attended by Ben Franklin, Emerson, Sam Adams, America’s first Public Park, events leading to abolitionist movement, oldest continuously operating bar, taverns that served George Washington, Ben Franklin, JFK..the marketplace is a stop on the journey to eat and be entertained. There’s no philly or dc if we are a British colony..If Boston doesn’t have an instantly recognizable landmark for you then
I suggest brushing up on the events that led to the country you live in today...
These places are tremendously important in history to be sure, but I do see the point about recognizable landmarks. I can recognize Old North Church in pictures, for example, but I live in the Boston area, so I'm familiar with that spot. I'm not so sure how many people out there in the world, who had never visited Boston, would recognize the, um, lantern place in pictures as anything but just any ol' house of worship with traditional church architecture. Despite the historical significance of many sites in Boston, I'm not sure how many are instantly recognizable by many people out in the world who might see them in pictures.

On the other hand, knowing that a city's landmarks are known worldwide on sight does not especially make any difference to me regarding whether I would care to live in that city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 02:18 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutUpWillYou View Post
Boston’s elitism doesn’t match its amenities. New York can be elitist. It has everything in spades. Boston? Small, tiny Boston? What does Boston have to be elitist about? Are the streets paved in gold? Literally everything you get in Boston you get in other Northeast cities. Difference is, the others don’t boast. Just be what you are and shut your mouth. Maybe you wouldn’t be mentioned so much for being Most Overrated Northern City because if it.

What is there to be smug about when you’re digging out of 60” of snow and paying San Francisco prices for rent?

Fall is coming. Wonderful. More basic white girls can talk about pumpkin spice and how much they “looove” Boston. There’s less brown people here, too!
Boston is muuuuuch browner than SF, not even close.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:58 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
These places are tremendously important in history to be sure, but I do see the point about recognizable landmarks. I can recognize Old North Church in pictures, for example, but I live in the Boston area, so I'm familiar with that spot. I'm not so sure how many people out there in the world, who had never visited Boston, would recognize the, um, lantern place in pictures as anything but just any ol' house of worship with traditional church architecture. Despite the historical significance of many sites in Boston, I'm not sure how many are instantly recognizable by many people out in the world who might see them in pictures.

On the other hand, knowing that a city's landmarks are known worldwide on sight does not especially make any difference to me regarding whether I would care to live in that city.

Care to live sure I agree, but definitely care to visit. Seeing a world famous landmark in person to me is a accomplishment in my life to be able to see the most famous things on Earth before my time in life is up.

It seems most manmade built structures associated with history isolated to a country (war or political history) don't get as much attention at the international level. A student in Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. isn't going to have U.S History in their school curriculum. That is why cities like Boston, Philadelphia and other large cities not named NY, SF, LA, DC and to a lesser extent Chicago don't have the international allure for visitors. Pictures tell a thousand words and is the best advertising tool. Eiffel Tower, Statue Of Liberty, Hollywood, Pyramids, Roman Coliseum, Big Ben, Golden Gate Bridge, Great Wall Of China, etc. have a international allure because of it's unique design or setting or a place in WORLD history.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:24 PM

4,397 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston is muuuuuch browner than SF, not even close.
It's not if you compare the metros as a whole.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:54 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Care to live sure I agree, but definitely care to visit. Seeing a world famous landmark in person to me is a accomplishment in my life to be able to see the most famous things on Earth before my time in life is up.

It seems most manmade built structures associated with history isolated to a country (war or political history) don't get as much attention at the international level. A student in Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. isn't going to have U.S History in their school curriculum. That is why cities like Boston, Philadelphia and other large cities not named NY, SF, LA, DC and to a lesser extent Chicago don't have the international allure for visitors. Pictures tell a thousand words and is the best advertising tool. Eiffel Tower, Statue Of Liberty, Hollywood, Pyramids, Roman Coliseum, Big Ben, Golden Gate Bridge, Great Wall Of China, etc. have a international allure because of it's unique design or setting or a place in WORLD history.
I'd make a distinction here between instant visual recognition and being worth visiting. People in other countries may not learn about, for that matter may not care about, U.S. history, but for Americans places like Old North Church and Independence Hall, for example, are worth a visit, even if they won't spark the instant recognition for many people that you have with the sites you note in your post.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:07 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
It's not if you compare the metros as a whole.
The thread isn’t about metro levels as a whole.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:38 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
The thread isn’t about metro levels as a whole.
Naw I think it is based on the poll. Still, Boston Metro is more AfAm than the San Fran Metro but 12% Hispanic versus 21% is the biggest difference. But still that’s only because the Boston metro includes two New Hampshire counties and not Worcester County MA or the Providence area. If you were to look just Eastern MA and Providence area... San Fran is certainly no browner than the Boston area. The main difference is a huge Asian population.

Boston has a wider array of ethnicities amongst white blacks and Hispanics. Oakland is only as AA percentage wise as Boston..

Boston has blacker cities like Brockton/Randolph 40-50-% Black (nothing like that in the SF area)

Asian cities like Quincy/Malden/Lowell all 20-30% Asian (not menotioning a working class Chinatown and parts of Dorchester)

Hispanic cities like Chelsea/Lynn/Lawrence 40-80% Hispanic (hispanic from so many countries).
Providence is closer geographicallly than much of the New Hampshire area and is over 40% Latino and is 15% black.

That being said if your white you could easily navigate the Boston area avoiding cities with large minority population and maybe even not have to see any of you stay in your bubble. The georgraphic footprint of minorities in New England is smal because they hyper concentrated in urban areas with only a MAYBE a dozen true suburbs that experience diversity.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:47 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Naw I think it is based on the poll.
You’re right! My bad; I totally missed that.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:36 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn7YMouuU8g

2:30 to 2:41 = ROFLOL

Old 09-25-2018, 08:09 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,835,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Does Philly have triple deckers? I really don’t know; that is an honest question.
Philadelphia has row houses in many varieties, mostly brick, some stone. I have never seen anything remotely resembling a three-decker house in Philly. New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware have that mid-Atlantic rowhouse building type, not just Philly but in just about any Pennsylvania city. In New York it’s mostly in Manhattan and Brooklyn but some of the upstate towns have rowhouses too, like Newburgh, Troy, Geneva. Otherwise lots of freestanding wood frame houses just as you’d find in Boston or Worcester—or Milwaukee. The historic New England pattern is definitely free-standing houses, with lots of two and three-family houses in the cities, and usually wood frame. Boston isn’t really a rowhouse city although the central area is full of them—Back Bay, South End, Beacon Hill. They aren’t called rowhouses in Boston and even in Philadelphia, the ‘rowhouse’ term may apply more at the lower end than in fancy streets like Delancey Place and in Society Hill. For lack of a general term we’re seeing the New York term “brownstone” applied to Boston row houses which is unfortunate as very few of them, other than on Blackstone Square and some in the Back Bay, have any brown stone in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City