Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston (Metropolitan area included) 261 47.11%
San Francisco (Bay Area/Metro) 293 52.89%
Voters: 554. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 06:35 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
completely agree except for ignoring Boston's incredible/amazing parks near W. Roxbury/Rozzie/JP, Brookline etc. The 2 cities both offer highly accessible/ functional park experiences.
The delta of diversity of culture/ people for SF/ Boston seems wayyy overblown, imo.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Br...!4d-71.1211635

additional note: i made sure to highlight Brookline.
The rest of all that green is Boston's Rozzie, W. Roxbury, JP & Roxbury neighborhoods.
click over to Earth imagery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 09:33 PM

291 posts, read 201,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Both cities are amazing, some of the best cities in the USA. I'd personally have to go with SF and the Bay Area though since I was born in California and it's more "like home" than any east coast city would be. Boston looks like such a cool city, very european like, walkable, dense. Also Boston is now more expensive than San Francisco, which is a shame. I should also mention both cities and their metros are known for their punk/hardcore scenes. So if you're into that like I am, you can't go wrong with either city.
Boston is more expensive than SF now?

Old 10-04-2022, 02:59 PM

817 posts, read 626,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
Boston is more expensive than SF now?
When it comes to housing yes

https://www.businessinsider.com/rent...ancisco-2022-1

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren.../us/ma/boston/

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren...san-francisco/

Old 10-04-2022, 03:09 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Boston is not more expensive than SF -_- absolutely not

There a huge chunk of affordability in Boston that simply doesn’t exist in SF these numbers will tell you a completely different story. You can still find 2 bedrooms under 2100 in Bosotn and 2 bedroom condos for under 350k…

As soon as you go outside Boston city limits it gets cheaper from there. Boston is by no means more expensive than SF lol. You’re not buying a 2 bedroom condo in SFs equivalent of the south end for $400k.

The thing in Boston is many of the larger Victorian multi family properties and triple decker go on sale with 11/12 bedroom that and the sticker prices of the bran new units (half of the ones on sale) inflate the price of Boston wayyy wayyy above what most people actually pay.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-04-2022 at 03:17 PM..

Old 10-04-2022, 04:01 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
That's depressing. I had hoped other cities would avoid the horrors of our rental price crisis.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:23 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That's depressing. I had hoped other cities would avoid the horrors of our rental price crisis.
Well Boston is very similar, in some ways worse, than SF in regards to housing construction/completion/zoning.

Old 10-04-2022, 05:28 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
- Languages spoken: Not sure. Probably rather close. Maybe San Francisco
Makes me wonder about the distribution of languages spoken by the Chinese here. With a 1/3 Chinese population, I feel like there must be small communities --- not really advertised or put on maps --- speaking not just Mandarin or Cantonese, but Fuzhounese, Wu, etc.

Quote:
- Benefits from location: Boston (Closer to Europe and Northeast cities)
This one's debatable imo. I feel like people in the Bay Area as a whole --- though many of them (especially in SF) are carless --- utilize NorCal's national parks and forests more than people in the Boston area utilize the other Northeast cities. Although maybe Cape Cod tips it back in Boston's favor...?

Quote:
- Vibrancy of downtown: San Francisco[/b]
Been here recently? It's pretty desolate downtown (excluding Chinatown).

Quote:
- History: Boston
I might have been skeptical of this before I moved here and started doing more research, but now I totally agree. SF is old by west coast standards but most of the city really isn't as old as I thought. Most of the Sunset District (~southwest 1/4 of the city) wasn't really developed until after the 1906 earthquake, and some areas not until the '40s or '50s (!)

Old 10-04-2022, 06:07 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
This one's debatable imo. I feel like people in the Bay Area as a whole --- though many of them (especially in SF) are carless --- utilize NorCal's national parks and forests more than people in the Boston area utilize the other Northeast cities. Although maybe Cape Cod tips it back in Boston's favor...?
I guess I can’t speak for the whole of the Northeast, but I go to NYC and MTL fairly often. I have at least 2 coworkers that drive to Philly many times a year.

And remember that there are a lot of great destinations in New England! People from other parts of the Northeast/Canada flood the area in the summer to go to the beaches in Maine or Rhode Island or the Mountains in VT or NH!

Old 10-04-2022, 06:22 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
https://www.facebook.com/TorySBulloc...70175321839510

Old 10-04-2022, 06:23 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Boston easily. It's a cleaner, better looking city, that is better for us Americans of the African diaspora...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City