Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Feels Bigger.
Memphis 63 29.30%
Nashville 152 70.70%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:19 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times

Advertisements

Lol, Nashville as a trailer park - yeah, horse trailers maybe. Thre's some seriously big money in the Nashville area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 11:03 PM

9 posts, read 15,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Lol, Nashville as a trailer park - yeah, horse trailers maybe. Thre's some seriously big money in the Nashville area.
You are very correct, there is some serious money in the area. I was joking about calling Nashville a trailer park. Nashville is a very unique city in many ways and we who live in the area are very fortunate.

Even during a massive recession and a massive flood to go with it, the city is still in much better shape with its economy even with Opryland and Opry Mills both being closed and loosing tourism dollars than Memphis has ever been in recent years.

Nashville definately has a more impressive skyline than Memphis as well!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:34 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Memphis definitely feels bigger.
Really, you think so? Nashville clearly feels like the larger city/CSA to me.
Quote:
Plus, who thinks Nashville has a better skyline?
Me!
Quote:
Memphis' skyline is much more impressive, with taller buildings, the "M" bridge, and the pyramid. Nashville's is pretty underwhelming with those little stumpy buildings.
I understand your rationale and agree to a certain extent but being more of a glitz/gleam type enthusiast, Nashville gives me more of what I like than Memphis where skylines are concerned.
Quote:
Whenever I'm in Nashville I feel like it's just a giant, overgrown small town. Even the "inner city" areas feel a lot more open and spread out. I'm thinking of Downtown and Midtown in Memphis and there's really nothing that dense and urban in Nashville.
This is true. Memphis is much more densely developed than Nashville undoubtedly, but Nashville on the other hand still feels busier to me.
Quote:
I don't mean to put down Nashville in any way- It's a great town with lots of culture, shopping, entertainment, etc. But if you're going by which city feels more urban, it's Memphis without a doubt.
I second this. Let's take a look at the skylines of each.

Memphis
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc434/ATL_Aficionado/Memphis2.jpg (broken link)

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc434/ATL_Aficionado/Memphis1.jpg (broken link)

Nashville
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc434/ATL_Aficionado/Nashville1.jpg (broken link)

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc434/ATL_Aficionado/476044838_f5f6ccbdc2_b.jpg (broken link)

Had I never stepped foot in either city, I may have possibly chosen Memphis based on these types of images, but having seen both (within the same weekend just weeks ago) I have to go with Nashville. I agree that Nashville's skyline could use a bit more height, but architecturally it is much more in line with what I prefer than Memphis. Nashville also has the Pinnacle which is practically showroom new, and another nice addition.

For the record, I enjoy visiting the city of Memphis more than Nashville though. Nashville has always felt pretty sterile compared to Memphis IMO which I'm not always in the mood for; especially when vacationing.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,829 times
Maybe it's just because Memhpis' skyline has more "hills and valleys" that I think it looks taller, whereas Nashville's is more like a tabletop.

But yes, Nashville's is definitely newer. However, Memphis was supposed to be getting One Beale, but I think the recession killed that. And whatever happened to the Signature Tower plans in Nashville? Same story?

I also had to lol at that billboard in the bottom pic. "Get Down to Memphis." Hahaha.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,595 times
Have you ever been to downtown Nashville? It is very hilly...that's why the buildings on the capitol side look taller than they really are.

Also, Nashville just built a new skyscraper this year: Pinnacle at Symphony Place. It is the city's 4th tallest.

The last skyscraper was built in 2006: The Viridian

By comparison, none of Memphis' 10 tallest buildings were built in the 2000s, and only one was built in the 90s (The pyramid in 91)

Old 10-20-2010, 08:53 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Maybe it's just because Memhpis' skyline has more "hills and valleys" that I think it looks taller, whereas Nashville's is more like a tabletop.

But yes, Nashville's is definitely newer. However, Memphis was supposed to be getting One Beale, but I think the recession killed that. And whatever happened to the Signature Tower plans in Nashville? Same story?

I also had to lol at that billboard in the bottom pic. "Get Down to Memphis." Hahaha.
it's actually the opposite. Memphis is flat, Nashville is hilly

Old 10-20-2010, 06:33 PM

I mean the actual skylines, not the geography of the cities. It seems like there's more variation in the heights of the buildings in Memphis than in Nashville. Of course, this could change depending on where you view them.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:47 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Memphis' urban area is actually bigger than Nashville's.

Memphis Urban Area- population: 972,091. Density: 2431 per sq mi.
Nashville Urban Area- population: 749,935. Density: 1741 per sq mi.

List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-21-2010, 07:04 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Memphis' urban area is actually bigger than Nashville's.

Memphis Urban Area- population: 972,091. Density: 2431 per sq mi.
Nashville Urban Area- population: 749,935. Density: 1741 per sq mi.

List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ture but it's also larger than Charlotte and Austin and I feel like those cities also feel larger than Memphis.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:30 PM

Let's be honest with ourselves, though. In the big scheme of things, they're really not all that much different, either in terms of character or population, especially when compared to cities like NYC and Chicago. In that light, they might as well be the same place. And both their skylines are pretty pitiful, even compared to larger Southern cities like Atlanta and Houston.

Does Nashville's extra 300,000 people in its metro area matter much? Not really. Does Memphis' extra 700 people per square mile really make a huge difference? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City