Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Feels Bigger.
Memphis 63 29.30%
Nashville 152 70.70%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:28 AM

9 posts, read 15,500 times

Advertisements

Set skylines, population, etc. aside, which city has the more vibrant economy?

I did some online research, each city seems to have several fortune 500 companies. Memphis has Fed X and AutoZone, but more of Nashville's corporations seem to be more well known world wide such as Bridgestone and Nissan, and HCOA. Harrahs also has a big presence in the Memphis area, but that is not even in our state.

Memphis does seem to have somewhat of an edge over Nashville in the film industry, but Ithe music industry in Nashville can swallow the Memphis film industry many times over.

If Memphis is supposed to be this top dog city premeir in Tennessee, why does Memphis not have a Cheesecake Factory, Tiffany's, Louis Vuitton or ANY high end stores that I know of, not even as much as a Trader Joes!? It seems like everything high end that makes a debut in Tennessee prefers the Nashville market over Memphis. Why did Nordstrom prefer Nashville over Memphis?

Memphis obviously can not hold a candle to Nashville as far as the economy, growth, etc...

I need to correct myself, there is a Swarovski......

Last edited by Tnguy11; 10-22-2010 at 12:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 10:38 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Memphis feels more urban, but Nashville feels larger and more spread out. You see many big city overpasseswider interstates and taller buildings even out in the suburbs, Memphis has nothing like this. However, once you come into dowtown, Memphis feels like a real city. There is a chunky cluster of density that surrounds you (that feeling that you don't know where you are because you are surrounded on all sides). Nashville doesn't have that quite yet, there are many gaps and parking lots downtown that make it much easier to navigate. Where Nashville shines is its growing skyline. Several tall office and residential buildings are either planned or under construction (the Gulch neighborhood (first all green neighborhood in the southeast). Memphis hasn't built a new tower in over twenty years. Both cities have high crime, but Memphis much much more. It's not really fair to compare Memphis to Nashville because Nashville' economy is bigger, better, and more diversified.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:21 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
To me, Nashville feels smaller than Memphis. There's downtown and a few urban areas, but then you could be in the middle of the country or suburbs and still be in the city limits. Memphis is much more dense.
Agreed, but Nashville has a much better economy and is much better set for the future. Memphis feels more urban but its also plagued with problems that prevent it having the kind of growth Nashville is enjoying.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed, but Nashville has a much better economy and is much better set for the future. Memphis feels more urban but its also plagued with problems that prevent it having the kind of growth Nashville is enjoying.
Memphis's decline really is a shame. It had the potential to be a major area had it not been for the corrupt political system and lack of funding that Nashville received being the state capital. Nashville is becoming more urban, fast. Many new hotels, apartments, homes, and retail is planned or under construction right now. 4,000 new units will be added by the end of the year alone. The problem that Nashville has to work on is traffic. The interstate system is good, however, mass transit is severely lacking.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:52 PM

367 posts, read 996,063 times
Both of these cities have something that the other one can't touch

Nashville is beautiful, more Newer Buildings,..the Gorgeous Parthenon the new Music City Center is spectacular (it just recently opened),..if you ever visit downtown Nashville you can't miss it,. its HUUUGE

Nashville's setting in the Hills and Mountains,...I just love it

Memphis is more Urban,..it isn't as beautiful as Nashville but has more energy,..Memphis has a better downtown and in some angles it's skyline looks bigger than Nashville's,...(Nashville's Skyline isn't that great)...Downtown Memphis has a better vibe and I like Beale Street better than 2nd avenue because its more predestrian friendly and has more intimate party like vibe to it

Memphis has the Mississippi river which can't be touch by anything in Nashville,...the Cumberland river is a stream compared to the Mississippi...Memphis's completion of Beale Street Landing and the Bass Pro Pyramid which now is suppose to have a Skyride to the top of the Pyramid a bowling ally, water falls and a zip line etc would only help cement Downtown Memphis as the Best Downtown in the State IMO...so to me although downtown Nashville LOOKS better,..Downtown Memphis IS better

Memphis tho can't touch Nashville in Shopping,..The Mall of Green Hills is SO Darn pretty,..looks like a Palace on the inside with's it's Gold and White layout,..and Includes the CheeseCake Factory Louis Vutton and Burburry etc,... Nashville also has Oprymills,..the rest of the malls look just like any other regular suburban malls though The 100 Oaks Area is a pretty nice shopping are as well...the Closest Memphis comes to Nashville in shopping is the Wolfchase Galleria and the Oak Court Mall,,, but they are not as High End,..and Where is Memphis's Cheesecake Factory?

Memphis Has the Better Zoo, which is one of only 5 in the U.S I think to receive the rare Panda Bears from China

I'll give them a tie for Sports,...It could be argued that Nashville is better since it has more sports but Memphis is More Successful in Sports you hardly hear any good news about the Predators and the Titans But the Grizzlies Make the playoffs every year as of late and I think Memphis embraces the Grizzlies more Than Nashville embraces either of their teams

Outside of Downtown I think Nashville has more to offer Nashville shores, a cheaper airport, Opryland's Massive Hotel etc But Memphis is constructing all kinds of things so the gap may be closing here soon in this category.

I like Memphis's new bike lanes and how the city is constructing a new boardwalk right over the Mississippi (New Harahan Bridge Project)

I aslo like the Red Carpet Hollywood like atmosphere and all the celebrities that the CMA AWARDS bring to Nashville every year but I also like the New Blues Music Hall of Fame that Memphis is Building

5 or 10 years ago I would have said Nashville hands down but Memphis has made some major strides
As of right now I still give the slight edge to Nashville but in 3 or 4 years it could be a tie

I live in one and visit the other frequently I wish Tennessee would build a high speed rail between the two lol

Either way it goes I think these are some of the coolest medium sized cities in the Country

Last edited by JMT; 06-11-2013 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: Please keep it to just Nashville and Memphis, not Atlanta

Old 06-09-2013, 03:36 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
4,000 new units will be added by the end of the year alone. The problem that Nashville has to work on is traffic. The interstate system is good, however, mass transit is severely lacking.
4k units by the end of the year is extremely impressive for any city.

Interstate system is horrible in Nashville! Can't even drive 5 minutes without a split. Too much lane changing in a short distance. Too many accidents when it's raining.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
4k units by the end of the year is extremely impressive for any city.

Interstate system is horrible in Nashville! Can't even drive 5 minutes without a split. Too much lane changing in a short distance. Too many accidents when it's raining.
Exactly, more and more towers are going up soon. A big problem with Nashville is the amount of five lane super highways that are not limited access. Nolensville Pike, Murfreesboro Road, and many others were developed in a mostly suburban way. This constant stop and go traffic will cause backups during peak times in the day. Another thing is the lack of a suburban loop, like 240 in Memphis or 240 in Asheville. Interstate 440 is too small and too close to the inner city to sustain the growth. Briley Parkway is ok, but 440 should have been built farther out like between antioch and smyrna areas.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:22 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
Just curious. Are Wild oats and Easy Way still open? Hopefully, Easy Way is still all over town. I really hate that Schnucks was muscled out of town. What about Dach Oriental Imports? I wish them unending success! Man, I loved that place!

Does Nashville have an Easy Way?

Old 10-22-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Just curious. Are Wild oats and Easy Way still open? Hopefully, Easy Way is still all over town. I really hate that Schnucks was muscled out of town. What about Dach Oriental Imports? I wish them unending success! Man, I loved that place!

Does Nashville have an Easy Way?
I'm not really sure what Easy Way is, but Wild Oats closed several years ago. We now have Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Fresh Market and the Turnip Truck as our major organic grocers. Publix and Kroger also heavily dominate the market here too. Many of the Publix are brand new and nearly all of the Nashville area Krogers have been significantly expanded and remodeled. Someone on another forum also mentioned Earthfare will enter the market very soon...stay tuned.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:06 PM

49 posts, read 90,039 times
Nashville is bigger by a long shot. All of the musicians that live there make it high populated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City