Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New emerging state of the decade
Wyoming 2 4.76%
Idaho 14 33.33%
South Dakota 2 4.76%
North Dakota 6 14.29%
South Carolina 18 42.86%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:11 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,652,142 times

Advertisements

Alot of states that have already grown alot are suppoused to grow even more. Neveda, Arizona, Georgia, Colorado, California, Florida, Texas, ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Alot of states that have already grown alot are suppoused to grow even more. Neveda, Arizona, Georgia, Colorado, California, Florida, Texas, ect.
Yeah, Texas will grow stronger this decade

Old 05-27-2010, 12:28 PM

457 posts, read 1,108,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
What in the world are you basing that claim on?
I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject. But, I have seen Boise appear on a lot of up and coming/emerging city lists. Seems to have a little more of yuppie feel (ala..Boulder, Austin, Denver, etc). More so than say: Greenville SC or Sioux Fall, SD. Seems to have a key piece: good tech base, a well educated population, and a good quality of life. Probably to small and cold for my taste, but I could see people liking it.

http://www.economist.com/world/united-states/displaystory.cfm?story_id=16112080

http://www.kiplinger.com/features/archives/2008/05/2008-best-city-boise.html

Looks like a up and coming yuppie town to me..Boise in Full Bloom - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 05-27-2010, 02:28 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject. But, I have seen Boise appear on a lot of up and coming/emerging city lists. Seems to have a little more of yuppie feel (ala..Boulder, Austin, Denver, etc). More so than say: Greenville SC or Sioux Fall, SD. Seems to have a key piece: good tech base, a well educated population, and a good quality of life. Probably to small and cold for my taste, but I could see people liking it.

http://www.economist.com/world/united-states/displaystory.cfm?story_id=16112080

http://www.kiplinger.com/features/archives/2008/05/2008-best-city-boise.html

Looks like a up and coming yuppie town to me..Boise in Full Bloom - SkyscraperPage Forum

I agree. I don't think it's somewhere I would choose to live, but I have a feeling it's going to become one of the new "trendy" spots, like Austin or Portland have been in recent years. That doesn't necessarily mean it will become super huge, but I do think we will begin to hear more and more about Boise.

Last edited by Kris000; 05-27-2010 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-27-2010, 03:49 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
South Carolina because its on the East Coast.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:12 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I have some thoughts that a few on this list aren't. California isn't growing at a high percentage and is becoming more like New York with immigrants moving in while native-born people leaving. Nevada and Arizona might of hit a brick wall and will have much slower growth. Florida will also have slower growth due to less retirees moving in than before, it might start becoming more like California in migration and growth patterns at some point in the future. (likely later this decade) Georgia is going to start having slower growth mainly due to traffic issues not being resolved making advantages evaporate with the perception of being overbuilt. This will likely spur growth in neighboring states which is starting to happen. Colorado and Texas are in their prime growth phases right now and will be in it likely for the next 10-20 years, after that likely will develop issues related to other places before. It could be either in being overbuilt, politics, or social issues start being a problem.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:14 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I have some thoughts that a few on this list aren't. California isn't growing at a high percentage and is becoming more like New York with immigrants moving in while native-born people leaving. Nevada and Arizona might of hit a brick wall and will have much slower growth. Florida will also have slower growth due to less retirees moving in than before, it might start becoming more like California in migration and growth patterns at some point in the future. (likely later this decade) Georgia is going to start having slower growth mainly due to traffic issues not being resolved making advantages evaporate with the perception of being overbuilt. This will likely spur growth in neighboring states which is starting to happen. Colorado and Texas are in their prime growth phases right now and will be in it likely for the next 10-20 years, after that likely will develop issues related to other places before. It could be either in being overbuilt, politics, or social issues start being a problem.
For Nevada and Arizona I think it's just in the short term their growth will continue.Because californians will continue to flee their state which is too taxed and its housing isn't affordable.These 2 states can be quiet I think.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:23 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
I have some thoughts that a few on this list aren't. California isn't growing at a high percentage and is becoming more like New York with immigrants moving in while native-born people leaving.
But that's been the case for darn near 30 years now-it didnt just start happening last summer.

Immigrants have been the staple of population growth in Los Angeles and The Bay Area for decades now.

Even more impressive is California's Gross Product growth over the last 10 years. The state has gained $700 Billion in GDP despite native born citizens leaving.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:41 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
The reason you said Georgia wouldn't grow, why would other sunbelt states grew like Texas it dosen't make sense. It's not that, the reason is the economy. Georgia has slowed but a reminder it's still one of fast growing states even now, growth will pick back up after the recession. not as fast as it once was but probability Top 5.

But anyway my list for new states
South Carolina
New Mexico
Okalahoma

Old 05-28-2010, 04:24 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The reason you said Georgia wouldn't grow, why would other sunbelt states grew like Texas it dosen't make sense. It's not that, the reason is the economy. Georgia has slowed but a reminder it's still one of fast growing states even now, growth will pick back up after the recession. not as fast as it once was but probability Top 5.

But anyway my list for new states
South Carolina
New Mexico
Okalahoma

I think with Texas the traffic hasn't hit critical yet, that and there are multiple areas of growth so one could slow. Although I think in 10 to 20 years it will hit the same issue.

With Georgia the growth will be slower and more upwards than outwards. (with exceptions mainly the area between Atlanta and Athens) I picture the pattern shifting towards South Carolina and places in Tennessee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
For Nevada and Arizona I think it's just in the short term their growth will continue.Because californians will continue to flee their state which is too taxed and its housing isn't affordable.These 2 states can be quiet I think.
Well the problem is the short term might take years and then some time to catch back up, at that point the decade could be at least half-over. I also think the tax and housing cost issue that moved people to Nevada and Arizona will eventually catch up with them there as the two states start looking more like California. The water issue is not likely to creep up yet which is the big long-term issue, barring major drought this decade of course. The other wild card could be the immigration bill in Arizona if that has any long-term effects since that is a wild card.

Last edited by imperialmog; 05-28-2010 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: added quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City