Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which mall is better?
NorthPark Center 28 50.00%
Houston Galleria 28 50.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 02:21 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Okay...flagship store. Says nothing about it being a flagship store for Texas or the South. You made that part up.
This tells you the 3 largest Dilliard's store in the USA, use your common sense. If Dallas has the largest Dilliard's in Texas I am sure it is the largest in the south, because they didn't list another store that is larger.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:27 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
This tells you the 3 largest Dilliard's store in the USA, use your common sense. If Dallas has the largest Dilliard's in Texas I am sure it is the largest in the south, because they didn't list another store that is larger.
That's Wikipedia though. There aren't even reference links. Doesn't matter though.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:30 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
That's Wikipedia though. There aren't even reference links. Doesn't matter though.
No, it really doesn't matter.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:31 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
sidenote.

One store in Dallas I really love is Stanley Korshak. Local exclusive department stores are my favorite(shame that most cities dont have them anymore) because that's where you find the clothes that the fashionistas in that particular city are wearing.

Stanley Korshak reminds me of Ultimo in Chicago, Louis Boston and Wilkes Bashford in SF.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:40 PM

192 posts, read 504,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
It's the mall to go to for a lot of people (particularly out-of-towners), and it's atmosphere is a bit more egalitarian than the more refined (and somewhat snobbish) Northpark. The view of the ice skating rink with the skylight above is an iconic Houston image. I also like how hotels and office buildings were incorporated into the structure. Northpark is a great mall, but Galleria has that "city-within-a-city" feel to it due to it's more complex layout.

It's a mall that has had a variety of renovations and expansions over the years. However, I don't like how you have to walk through Saks (or bypass it on an outdoor corridor) to get to the Galleria III section though. I think that the Galleria III section has suffered due to this (it can be pretty empty compared to the rest of the mall) and the duplication of Macy's (the Macy's in Galleria IV was originally a Foley's). Plus, I find that section of the mall to be sort of dated (at least the last time I went there). I like how Galleria IV has a curving pathway plus an awesome fountain.

Both are great malls and Texas is lucky to have them. In a day and age when malls are considered passe and people preferring to go to "lifestyle centers" to fulfill their retail needs, Northpark and The Galleria have both managed to keep up with the times the way a mall should.
Great, fair depiction of the Houston Galleria.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:13 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
The tourists seem to prefer Galleria Dallas up north.
I don't like how the upscale shopping is split into two malls rather than one mall. Northpark might have been the premier shopping destination in TEXAS over Houston Galleria if not for the Galleria Dallas.

Quote:
The Galleria is cool. It reminds me of a much larger Lenox Square. It's the mall to go to for a lot of people (particularly out-of-towners), and it's atmosphere is a bit more egalitarian than the more refined (and somewhat snobbish) Northpark. The view of the ice skating rink with the skylight above is an iconic Houston image. I also like how hotels and office buildings were incorporated into the structure. Northpark is a great mall, but Galleria has that "city-within-a-city" feel to it due to it's more complex layout.
Even the townspeople regularly shop there with all the middle-class stores included in II and IV (and the upscale shoppers have to mix in with them). You can even get into the iconic Williams Tower through a passageway in the third level. The Galleria area is akin to L.A.'s Century City on its Westside. I prefer Westfield Century City and the Century City area in general over the Galleria area because of the elegance of the Westside and the area's architecture which includes some famous buildings.

Quote:
However, I don't like how you have to walk through Saks (or bypass it on an outdoor corridor) to get to the Galleria III section though. I think that the Galleria III section has suffered due to this (it can be pretty empty compared to the rest of the mall) and the duplication of Macy's (the Macy's in Galleria IV was originally a Foley's). Plus, I find that section of the mall to be sort of dated (at least the last time I went there). I like how Galleria IV has a curving pathway plus an awesome fountain.
I end up desensitized after all those moments of going through Saks to make it into the old Macy's. If you are there at night and want to check out what you may have missed in the other one, you better cross Saks before they close for the day or else go outside in the humidity.

I heard that Simon was going to tear down III and do something new with it.
Quote:
Here is a picture of the Texas' flagship Barneys New York
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2/Barneys2.jpg
Like someone on this forum once said, I don't take a chain naming their finite number of stores "flagships" seriously. Their fashions are a joke but the humor runs out after 5 minutes.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:53 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times
I couldn't agree more. I like it whenever I want to go shopping, I only need go to one place. That's why I like South Coast Plaza so much. I regard it as the nation's best in terms of shopping because it really has pretty much EVERYTHING under one roof and is still growing with more stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I don't like how the upscale shopping is split into two malls rather than one mall.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:53 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
NorthPark Center have new parking garages that was built when the mall was expanded.
Not nearly as many as Houston's Galleria & not nearly as large. You won't find any 6-7 story parking garages at Northpark, no way. Northpark is all surface lot for the most part...ugly.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:51 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times
That said, I really think North Park can hold its own. There are very few stores for which you need go to Galleria Dallas if you are all for upscale shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
I couldn't agree more. I like it whenever I want to go shopping, I only need go to one place. That's why I like South Coast Plaza so much. I regard it as the nation's best in terms of shopping because it really has pretty much EVERYTHING under one roof and is still growing with more stores.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:54 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Lol @ people keep making these Dallas vs. Houston threads and Dallas keeps winning. Polls don't really meaning anything though. Plus I bet Houston would win in other categories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City