Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:55 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times

Advertisements

"Modern" is probably best defined by region that continually creates the most valuable new companies and jobs

And that modern region is not a city (such a Luddite concept); rather, it's suburban sprawl with no one epicenter/skyline/downtown called "Silicon Valley"

And most of top engineers in SV are random white dudes from all over US...and a hell of a lot of Indians who legally migrated from India...but disproportionately few Chinese, let alone other Asians or Mexicans or blacks

Natural selection and capitalism usually prevail over social engineering attempts of communist towns that journalists (who don't understand basic economics, statistics and business) tend to favor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 11:31 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
100% agree with you

Old 05-31-2010, 11:47 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
100% agree with you

More...

Whites Dominate Progressive Enclaves. Why?

Old 05-31-2010, 12:16 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
I'm not sure what you guys are trying to say about Austin, but that city has a terrible reputation among African-Americans. It has very few black professionals, and the ones who live there are dying to leave. The problem has been addressed by the city for years now...

"...Different races picked different cities...Black Generation Xers flocked to Atlanta, Washington and Dallas. At the same time, the proportion of black Xers fell in Austin..."

Link 1:Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com

Link 2: Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/04/03/0403sixthstreet.html - broken link)

Link 3: Quality of Life for Blacks in Austin: Going Beyond Midtown Austin News - AustinChronicle.com

Link 4: Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com (http://www.statesman.com/specialreports/content/specialreports/citiesofideas/genx/1207genx.html - broken link)

Old 05-31-2010, 12:25 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
I don't think Anti-Black is the correct term. But I do think it is interesting that a lot of cities held up as progressive attract very little blacks (this is nothing new to me though).

Old 05-31-2010, 12:26 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
^^Yes, when it comes to blacks moving to Texas, Austin doesn't really seem to be on the radar compared to other cities in Texas. Dallas and (especially) Houston seem to be favorites among blacks relocating to Texas with Austin being a distant third.

Last edited by grindin; 05-31-2010 at 01:13 PM..

Old 05-31-2010, 12:30 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Actually, it did. Paul Quinn (First HBCU in Texas) was founded in Paul Quinn, it has a history of slavery, and if you read into the history of Austin; you'd find out it has plenty historical black districts that have been either renamed or forgotten.
There are many cities that have a history of slavery and many cities that have historical black districts as well even in the North and that's nice that the first HBCU in Texas was found in Austin. Still doesn't change the fact that Austin never really had a large black population percentage wise relative to Houston, Dallas, hell, even Beaumont.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:34 PM

67 posts, read 126,927 times
I think people overly concentrate on white/black demographics today. Austin has a large latino and pretty large asian community considering geographic location and city size. I consider Austin a pretty diverse city. I admit though, I am not in-tune with how African Americans as a whole feel about Austin.

I would say my main issue with the city is the segregation along I35 and basically splitting the wealthier part of town to the west with the poorer part to the east. This is mainly due geographics and the east being flat and west being hilly. But this isnt uncommon to most cities and one of the reasons I dislike building too many highways as it encourages this type of growth.

There are issues as well as that top link explained, Austin attracts more and more whites/latinos due to its culture so it will continue to lean more and more in that direction. Unfortuantely, I am not sure what can really be done about that. In the end though, we have to look beyond how large of an African American population a city has to judge its "so called" diversity.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:35 PM

65 posts, read 120,362 times
I'm not saying anything about the conclusion made from the article, I just have a slight problem with the statistics used. I'm entirely sure Minneapolis has a lower minority population than other cities, but its saying that it has a lower percentage of African-Americans than the national average by citing its county's African-American population percentage is wrong. Off the top of my head, Hennepin County is about 1 million people, but Minneapolis only comprises probably 300k of that. The minority population percentage of Minneapolis is obviously more than the rest of the county which is suburban and even rural in the outer parts, and while it isn't much more than the national average, it's deceiving to say that it's lower.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:08 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,108 times
Quote:
A very interesting article

The rest here :
The White City | Newgeography.com
How are these cities anti-black though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City