Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 12:30 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, what? That is about the national average, if not slightly below the national average. You could also say that Raleigh's Black percentage is more than twice the national average too. So, it is a matter of perspective.
Raleigh's urban area is 68.3% white. Nashville's is 71.3% white. Seattle is 73.8% white and Austin's is at 71%. Atlanta and Houston, on the other hand, are 53.1% and 61.8% white. Raleigh and Nashville fit in with the likes of Austin and Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 12:34 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
^^Those stats regarding Raleigh are not including the Durham side of the Triangle, where the majority of Blacks in the RDU Triangle live.
According to the American Community Survey, there are 95,069 Black or African Americans in the Durham urban area. The Raleigh urban area has 139,430.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:23 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
^^Those stats regarding Raleigh are not including the Durham side of the Triangle, where the majority of Blacks in the RDU Triangle live.
Durham has a larger percentage of black citizens in their city and county populations. However, Raleigh's city population is much larger than Durham's and Wake County is more than triple the population of Durham County.
So, Raleigh and Wake County have more black population but with less of a percentage in respect to its overall population.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:24 PM

571 posts, read 1,174,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
You don't know what you're talking about. There has never been a large black population in Portland because the city was never a center of black domestic migration. Now blacks tend not to move to places like Portland, because there isn't a strong African-American community there. Equating a small black population to being anti-black is one of the stupidest conclusions I have ever seen drawn on this site. Portland certainly isn't a destination for African-Americans, but its not anti-black.

The city of Raleigh is only 3.8% Asian, does that make it anti-asian??? No, of course not.

Portland, Seattle, Austin, etc. are still some of the most progressive cities in the country and I honestly couldn't care less how many black people live in them.
Agreed, and this issue has been brought up ad nauseam. I don't understand how a citys demographics have anything to do with its progressiveness. Cities of the pacific northwest are socially and fiscally liberal, environmentally progressive, and, yes, of a causasian majority. These cities are far from anti-black, and as PDX_LAX stated, have never been places that African Americans have migrated to for any number of reasons (some of which probably have something to do with this country's history)...it's just a tired subject.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:33 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I would say Raleigh has much more in common with dynamos like Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte, Dallas, and Nashville--

Not the "so-called progressive" cities of Portland, Austin, Seattle, etc.
I completely disagree. Raleigh has more in common with Austin, Seattle, San Jose and NoVA than it does with Dallas, Nashville, Houston or Atlanta. I'll take myself out of a determination on Charlotte since it's a sister city within the state.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:34 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I thought it was well known that the PNW and Texas(Juneteenth anybody?) were hostile towards blacks moreso than most of the country.

For someone who acts like he's so pro-black, you sure have little knowledge regarding the history of Juneteenth.

And even though I personally disliked Texas, it's a much better place for black people to live in than Filthydelphia...

Old 06-01-2010, 04:47 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I thought it was well known that the PNW and Texas(Juneteenth anybody?) were hostile towards blacks moreso than most of the country.
I think Juneteenth had more to do with East Texas, because even in most of the Hill Country, slavery was opposed by the Germans living there, and West Texas wasn't really considered Confederate territory. So Austin(and TX in general) isn't more well known than any other state in it's hostility towards blacks: Juneteenth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and Juneteenth doesn't really say much about how racist Texas is. I think you're confused. I mean, you're coming from a city in which they put a statue of a FICTIONAL white boxer, before they put a statue of some of your greatest BLACK boxers.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:08 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
For someone who acts like he's so pro-black, you sure have little knowledge regarding the history of Juneteenth.

And even though I personally disliked Texas, it's a much better place for black people to live in than Filthydelphia...
I know this is way off topic. But I'm curious as to how you came up with your moniker.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:09 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,594,065 times
Okay, this may come out sounding a little odd, but i'm still just confuse. I find it odd that everything in the US has to be directed towards pleasing african-americans. And quite a few prominent african-americans make it such a point to be around thier own race, race bait and make big deals over race issues. I mean really, like previous posters have said, you don't see people complaining about the lack of Asian's or Hispanic's in X city, so why do people go so far just to appeal to african-americans?

Maybe it's just cuz I can't relate (im white) but it just confuses me and seems so counter-productive. Can someone please explain.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:18 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Okay, this may come out sounding a little odd, but i'm still just confuse. I find it odd that everything in the US has to be directed towards pleasing african-americans. And quite a few prominent african-americans make it such a point to be around thier own race, race bait and make big deals over race issues. I mean really, like previous posters have said, you don't see people complaining about the lack of Asian's or Hispanic's in X city, so why do people go so far just to appeal to african-americans?

Maybe it's just cuz I can't relate (im white) but it just confuses me and seems so counter-productive. Can someone please explain.
Nobody said anything has to be directed at AA's. We're simply discussing a topic about cities with small black populations. And as a white American, you probably do take for granted the fact that in most places you go you will be if not the majority, still make up a sizable portion of the population. Even in "black meccas" like Atlanta, Houston, or Dallas whites are still very much present. Much more so compared to blacks in other popular cities that cater moer to whites. And i'm not saying that to try to insult you, I would most likely be the same way. It's natural you would wonder why.

As far as hispanics go. In most of the places you will find them in, they are starting to become the majority already. Espescially in Texas and Cali. And even if they aren't the majority, they are still a very sizeable portion of their population.

There are not as many asians as there are blacks. They just seem like a really tight knit when they get here so they don't feel that isolated (it also helps that quite a few of them assimilate into mainstream white culture easily).

I've gotten way off topic however, my point was I don't think we are asking anybody to cater anything to us. We are just sayin why we don't migrate to some other places like other races do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City