Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a better place to live?
Northern NJ 55 58.51%
Northern VA 39 41.49%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:11 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Better if both regions dropped into the sea, huh? A little dramatic? No?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 07:16 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,611,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Wrong how? How is Gainesville not a sprawling exurb?
What part of "we like it and you don't and never will, doesn't make our decision to live in Gainesville wrong", do you not understand?

Old 11-04-2010, 07:37 AM

509 posts, read 974,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
What part of "we like it and you don't and never will, doesn't make our decision to live in Gainesville wrong", do you not understand?
Indeed, someone tell me why it is not OK for some people to like Gainesville. Instead, I hear how it is selfish of them and they are destroying things for future generations. Good grief.

Whatever happened to different places to live for people who like different things. Some of us moved to Gainesville because we like the area, and had nothing to do with whether that interchange would be built or not built. Gainesville has a lot to offer for SOME people. Notice: I did not say for ALL people, sure there's plenty of people who would not like Gainesville and that's just fine! Just like there's plenty of people who would not like living in New York City, but there's plenty to do. That's what's great - there's many different kinds of places right here in the DC Metro area for people to live.

And, point me to a big city that doesn't have suburbs or exurbs something like Gainesville. Why all of the sudden is Gainesville the root of all things evil, and is being blasted on all kinds of threads in different subforums. I routinely search for Gainesville just to see if anyone's posting something of interest, and that's how I found it mentioned in all these disparate threads.

Pittsburgh (his choice of where to live) isn't exactly utopia either. I could write plenty of negative things about it but I won't. Pittsburgh is great for some people - and I would never make it sound like it's the root of all things evil.

Why is he an expert now on Gainesville after driving through it for 10 minutes, and looking at some satellite photos? He tells us we are wrong yet we've lived there for several years and obviously have a better handle on the area than he does.

Oh, I know - he'll say we are boosting Gainesville to prop up the prices of our homes, just like he's accused others of doing that on the forum.

No, I plan to live there many years, so the price of my home now is immaterial to me - in fact from a property tax point of view it's in my benefit for it to stay low! I don't plan on selling it anytime soon, in fact hope to live there in my retirement years unless something unforseen happens. Of course, I'm older so only 15 years away from retiring, so not as long from now as that might seem.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:51 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
Quote:
I'm waiting for more of the NoVA "homers" to show up to tell everyone that I "don't know what I'm talking about." It's an endless sprawl, and nothing anyone from NoVA will say can change that. Some people like living in an endless sprawl, and those individuals SHOULD vote for NoVA. As for me with 90% of the area being cul-de-sacs, strip malls, parking lots, freeways, big-box stores, etc. with 10% being "in-town" or "transit-oriented" I just can't give it a glowing review. People here will whine about traffic as they drive alone in their SUV between their cul-de-sac and their office park. It's sad, really. In Pittsburgh I can live within walking distance to Downtown for a fraction of the price.

P.S. To those saying NoVA is "cheaper" than NoNJ, are you for real? I just did a search on CraigsList for 1-BR apartments, and most decent places in sprawling NoVA are in the $1,100/month-$1,300/month range. That's about the SAME as I've been finding in WALKABLE neighborhoods of NoNJ. What gives? NYC > DC, yet the NYC 'burbs in NoNJ are now = NoVA 'burbs of DC in terms of cost-of-living?

One word for you, NoVA: INFILL!
There is nothing that turns me off more than sprawling suburbia with strip malls (as opposed to walkable downtowns).

Not only does Northern NJ have a *much* better mix of landscapes (super-dense true urban cities, ritzy suburbs, and true wilderness), but NJ's suburbs, which it is most known for, mostly have quaint, walkable downtowns.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:50 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times
Quote:
I'm waiting for more of the NoVA "homers" to show up to tell everyone that I "don't know what I'm talking about." It's an endless sprawl, and nothing anyone from NoVA will say can change that. Some people like living in an endless sprawl, and those individuals SHOULD vote for NoVA. As for me with 90% of the area being cul-de-sacs, strip malls, parking lots, freeways, big-box stores, etc. with 10% being "in-town" or "transit-oriented" I just can't give it a glowing review. People here will whine about traffic as they drive alone in their SUV between their cul-de-sac and their office park. It's sad, really. In Pittsburgh I can live within walking distance to Downtown for a fraction of the price.

P.S. To those saying NoVA is "cheaper" than NoNJ, are you for real? I just did a search on CraigsList for 1-BR apartments, and most decent places in sprawling NoVA are in the $1,100/month-$1,300/month range. That's about the SAME as I've been finding in WALKABLE neighborhoods of NoNJ. What gives? NYC > DC, yet the NYC 'burbs in NoNJ are now = NoVA 'burbs of DC in terms of cost-of-living?

One word for you, NoVA: INFILL!
Arlington is sprawl? Alexandria is sprawl? Bethesda is sprawl? You really do have no idea what you are talking about. Your little town of Reston isn't the only city in NoVa. It's actually a VERY far out suburb that no one goes to. Stop trashing DC on your opinion of a far out suburb that you don't like because its "suburban". DC has some of the most urban suburbs in the country. All you do is complain. Learn to be a big boy and do something about it so we don't have to hear it anymore.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:09 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,087,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
No.
No, it IS dramatic.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:17 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
NOVA hands down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City