Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best downtown in Florida
Miami 35 54.69%
Tampa 7 10.94%
Orlando 5 7.81%
Jacksonville 2 3.13%
St. Pete 8 12.50%
Ft. Lauderdale 6 9.38%
Tallahassee 1 1.56%
Daytona Beach 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:06 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Like which ones?
West Palm Beach and Hollywood are 2 I can think of right now that have CBD's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 05:07 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,998 times
Clearly I forgot about Hollywood as well.

Clearwater does too.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:14 PM

Yeah, there are some not up there, but like I said, it's all good.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:37 PM

Google Maps< The old Versace Mansion which is now a hotel.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:42 PM

Google Maps< I love this street, Miami Beach has a lot of urban neighborhoods, they just don't look like the typical urbanity you see in New York or Chicago for example, but still very walkable.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:51 PM

Some more Miami Beach urbanity:

Google Maps
Google Maps
Google Maps

Old 06-09-2010, 03:46 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,998 times
Orlando Certainly has the cleanest downtown.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:28 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
i REALLY NEVER KNEW THAT PART OF TAMPA EXISTED. I ALWAYS LIKED CLEARWATER AND BELLAIR BEACH
Belleair Beach? That's gotta be the most sterile beach town out of all of the Pinellas beaches. Clearwater isn't much better. Downtown is pretty much the Church of Scientology and Clearwater Beach is, at least aesthetically, trashy.

South County is where it's at.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:30 AM

22 posts, read 68,958 times
So I stopped reading at page 7 regarding the Orlando Vs Gainesville Downtown.

First let me say I grew up in Daytona Beach, moved to Orlando in my late teens early 20's and also lived in Tallahassee for a few years after that. I moved to Gainesville in 2002.

Here's my opinion... Orlando is horrible. The downtown sucks. If you want a Disneyfied place, I suppose Orlando would be for you. I consider downtown Orlando to be where all the tall buildings are (duh.) From Colonial to MAYBE Gore. With Orange running between the two. The Airport isn't even close. They do have some restaurants but nothing worth mentioning. Thorton Park is much better. At least the restaurants there have some character. And no, I do not consider that Downtown Orlando. It's a sub-neighborhood.

Tallahassee, has no downtown to really speak of. Period.

So that leaves Gainesville. Gainesville's downtown runs from about SE 4th Ave to NE 8th Ave (North to South) and NE 3rd to NW 6th street (I do not consider the bars and such surrounding the University on Univ ave as "downtown.") The number of restaurants in the DT G'ville area outnumber downtown Orlando hands down. Bars/clubs/music venues in Gainesville are awesome. Some are not for me (8 Seconds ... hey, they have (had?) one of those in Orlando too!) but most have good shows and good music. (Common Grounds.)

I am also 33 years old, married, with children. So no, you don't have to be 25 and under to enjoy Gainesville. My husband is 40 and we frequent The Top, Maudes, Boca Fiesta, Brophy's...etc. As a family we go to the Library, The Downtown Farmer's Market, The Hippodrome. Also, consider the size of Gainesville area compared to the Orlando area. Orlando's downtown is sad if you think about it. They really have nothing to offer unless you want to go dancing and get a cheap tattoo.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:02 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlylithx View Post
So I stopped reading at page 7 regarding the Orlando Vs Gainesville Downtown.

First let me say I grew up in Daytona Beach, moved to Orlando in my late teens early 20's and also lived in Tallahassee for a few years after that. I moved to Gainesville in 2002.

Here's my opinion... Orlando is horrible. The downtown sucks. If you want a Disneyfied place, I suppose Orlando would be for you. I consider downtown Orlando to be where all the tall buildings are (duh.) From Colonial to MAYBE Gore. With Orange running between the two. The Airport isn't even close. They do have some restaurants but nothing worth mentioning. Thorton Park is much better. At least the restaurants there have some character. And no, I do not consider that Downtown Orlando. It's a sub-neighborhood.

Tallahassee, has no downtown to really speak of. Period.

So that leaves Gainesville. Gainesville's downtown runs from about SE 4th Ave to NE 8th Ave (North to South) and NE 3rd to NW 6th street (I do not consider the bars and such surrounding the University on Univ ave as "downtown.") The number of restaurants in the DT G'ville area outnumber downtown Orlando hands down. Bars/clubs/music venues in Gainesville are awesome. Some are not for me (8 Seconds ... hey, they have (had?) one of those in Orlando too!) but most have good shows and good music. (Common Grounds.)

I am also 33 years old, married, with children. So no, you don't have to be 25 and under to enjoy Gainesville. My husband is 40 and we frequent The Top, Maudes, Boca Fiesta, Brophy's...etc. As a family we go to the Library, The Downtown Farmer's Market, The Hippodrome. Also, consider the size of Gainesville area compared to the Orlando area. Orlando's downtown is sad if you think about it. They really have nothing to offer unless you want to go dancing and get a cheap tattoo.
if you moved to gville in 2002 and lived in tallahassee before that, then you must of been in Orlando in the 90s... Downtown has changed a lot since then, and is actually a pretty decent downtown with a lot more life. Thornton park is a downtown neighborhood that boarders downtown, you can walk to the CBD from Thornton park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City