Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 12:47 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Normally I itch for a good political discussion like this. And I've even got two sides to pick from (Texas or Illinois).

But my experience with politics and discussion is at the loss of some friends and mistrust of family. There's always two sides the everything, that's why politics is and always will be a fail.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:47 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Classic case of being able to act out being the "mean guy in high school" and make fun of those who are different by cherry-picking laws and/or events in some places but not others, indirectly promote an agenda, in front of an audience, and get paid well for it.

No wonder he does it. But rather pathetic and sad, if you ask me.
No, it's sad and pathetic for the governor of your state to pretend like he has the right to secede from the Union. Are you saying those laws aren't stupid and shouldn't be ridiculed? In the future, do you think our country stands a fighting chance against places like China and India, if we're unwilling to stop questioning the validity of evolutionary science? Evolution, like global warming, is not an issue up for debate anywhere else except here in this stupid country, in these stupidest of states.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:50 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
No, it's sad and pathetic for the governor of your state to pretend like he has the right to secede from the Union. Are you saying those laws aren't stupid and shouldn't be ridiculed? In the future, do you think our country stands a fighting chance against places like China and India, if we're unwilling to stop questioning the validity of evolutionary science? Evolution, like global warming, is not an issue up for debate anywhere else except here in this stupid country, in these stupidest of states.

^^ This.

We're doomed. I wish Texas and the rest of the South would secede. Both sides would be better for it.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:55 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Also, California is ran by a Republican, Arnold Shwartzenegger. How come it doesn't get mentioned? Hasn't California been in debt for a couple of years now and has been having housing market problems like Florida? Last I heard, California was going bankrupt...
It seems that the obvious escapes certain posters. Comedians make fun of ignorance. States like California and Florida going into serious debt because of a recession generally isn't very funny. How many jokes have you heard that make fun of disaster? [ie the oil spill]. There isn't any humor in people's misfortune.

Schwarzenegger's accent is funny and even he laughs at Leno's jokes. Also Arnold being married to a liberal Kennedy gets plenty of jokes. That kind of humor is different from jokes about states that will actually take science and compare it to some Bible stories by forcing it's children to believe that God created the world 6000 yrs ago. The reason Maher seizes these issues is that it is almost criminal how ignorance can be actually codified. He is making sure the U.S. is fully aware of such stupidity and embarrass citizens into voting out ignorant people.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
I heard you @ OmShahi, I feel the same way. I don't know much about politics, and I don't really care for it either.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
^^ This.

We're doomed. I wish Texas and the rest of the South would secede. Both sides would be better for it.
Ignorance at its finest. This is why this country is doomed to fail.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,453,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Normally I itch for a good political discussion like this. And I've even got two sides to pick from (Texas or Illinois).

But my experience with politics and discussion is at the loss of some friends and mistrust of family. There's always two sides the everything, that's why politics is and always will be a fail.
Understood, but I'll bet your "Texas" side still appreciates a good fight....!

Old 06-07-2010, 01:01 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
I see @ californio sur, its hard to talk about Florida though because North Florida is a lot different than South Florida. South Florida isn't even in the Bible Belt and leans more to the Liberal Democratic side of things while North Florida might as well be in Alabama. I've heard stories about how South Floridians want to be a seperate state than the rest of Florida.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:03 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
What I've got from the crap being spoken in this thread is:

Conservatives and Christians are Bad, close-minded, stupid, and backwards while Liberals and Atheist are good, open-minded, intelligent, and progressive???

Old 06-07-2010, 01:04 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
California? You mean the state that's been paying for the plurality of federal services? The one that's given by far the most to the federal government for our collective good and for projects around the US? The state with what's by far the greatest gap between federal tax revenue and federal spending?

How interesting!

What are these liberal stereotypes, eh? And who are the tea partiers but citizens without the foresight to make any action or be aware at all until a crisis hits?
I find it incredibly ironic that these same conservative tea-baggers in states like Arkansas and Mississippi are always calling for less government and smaller government, when the reality of the situation is that their states would actually suffer disproportionately as a result of any type of cuts in federal spending.

TaxProf Blog: Red States Feed at Federal Trough, Blue States Supply the Feed

States Receiving Least in Federal Spending Per Dollar of Federal Taxes Paid:
1. New Jersey ($0.62)
2. Connecticut ($0.64)
3. New Hampshire ($0.68)
4. Nevada ($0.73)
5. Illinois ($0.77)
6. Minnesota ($0.77)
7. Colorado ($0.79)
8. Massachusetts ($0.79)
9. California ($0.81)
10. New York ($0.81)

States Receiving Most in Federal Spending Per Dollar of Federal Taxes Paid:
1. D.C. ($6.17)
2. North Dakota ($2.03)
3. New Mexico ($1.89)
4. Mississippi ($1.84)
5. Alaska ($1.82)

6. West Virginia ($1.74)
7. Montana ($1.64)
8. Alabama ($1.61)
9. South Dakota ($1.59)
10. Arkansas ($1.53)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City