Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:07 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Ignorance at its finest. This is why this country is doomed to fail.
No, this country is doomed to fail due to willful ignorance and the elites that really pull the strings to keep it that way. Remember, a misinformed population is an easily influenced one. You don't think that textbook crap going on in Texas is by accident, do you?

People better wake the hell up.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:09 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Understood, but I'll bet your "Texas" side still appreciates a good fight....!
Haha if you guys want to see my debate politically. Then call me in. Lol, but just to give a heads up, I'm very aggressive politically.

Let me know if you want me to join in?

Old 06-07-2010, 01:12 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
OK, I will give you credit for at least citing examples. And yes, it is stupid to spend money when there isn't any. But trying to help the poor and regulate polluting industry is not stupid. BTW California is one state among all states that is struggling with deficits. But Maher is concentrating on states that tend to legislate laws based on ridiculous religious principles or ignorance. It is much more humorous to make fun of things that are blatantly dumb than things that are merely a result of fiscal problems.
There are extremes on both the conservative and liberal side. Maher is taking advantage of that at the expense of conservatives. Like you said, it's stupid to spend money when there isn't any; something the current administration (AND the former G "Dubya" Bush) did as well.

As far as legislating religious ideals, I'm kind of a Ron Paul guy. Stay the heck out of religion and leave people alone to practice what suits them as long as it isn't hurting someone. If gay people want to be married then they should be allowed to get married. WHO are they hurting by getting married?

Conservatives need to butt out. IMO, they're only pandering to hard core neocons.

Likewise, Democrats need to butt out when it comes to gun laws and such. Leave the freaking people alone. All of these governmental regs on people are driving us to the brink.

That's the reason why I'm becoming more of a Libertarian; the Progs and Repubs seem to be leaning toward big government to satisfy all of our desires. I think both are just short of pond scum and are leading us into disaster, both fiscally and our position in the world.

We should butt the hell out of other people's business around the world; stop being the police of the world and maybe, just maybe we wouldn't be in the position we're in.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:12 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
As has been already pointed out, his list would appeal to about half or less of the population. If you agree with any conservative policy or law, it's null and void.

Why was Arizona nominated?

I strongly, in every sense of the word, support Arizona's enforcement of the law against illegal immigration.

I strongly support its laws to preserve and extend gun rights.

I strongly support doing away with ethnic studies in this country.

I don't care much about the birth certificate issue either way, but I can't stomach Obama and it's nice to see any state flip the bird to that Marxist hack.

The only law he mentioned that I'm against is the banning of stem cell research.
Why don't you support this? It doesn't hurt either way. What's wrong with ethnic studies?

Old 06-07-2010, 01:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
No, this country is doomed to fail due to willful ignorance and the elites that really pull the strings. Remember, a misinformed population is an easily influenced one.
This is coming from someone who wishes the south succeeds and speaks ill about the black population of the south. I'm more disturbed by the fact that someone who tutors and teaches the youth of today could be so spiteful towards her own people; I just hope you leave your negative views and opinions back at the house and not influence those type of issues on those kids.

Btw, I don't support what Texas is trying to do with the textbooks.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:17 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You make some good points. Keep in mind that Maher is an atheist and therefore goes after religion more than any other issue. I am Catholic but tend to agree with Maher on his disgust of religion.
Bill Maher is not an atheist. Atheists are as certain there is no god, as religious people are certain there is a god. It's the certainty that he has a problem with. Bill claims that he doesn't know what happens when we die and neither does anybody else.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:18 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
This is coming from someone who wishes the south succeeds and speaks ill about the black population of the south. I'm more disturbed by the fact that someone who tutors and teaches the youth of today could be so spiteful towards her own people; I just hope you leave your negative views and opinions back at the house and not influence those type of issues on those kids.
We've been through this before son. I get along just fine with folks from other parts of the South. I have family in the Carolinas for chrissakes. Ya'll are just different as hell out that way.

And I pretty much hate everyone until I get to know them. I came scratching and clawing out of the womb as a misanthrope.

And I'm not spiteful towards my people. If anything, I want us to do better (and many of us have, but we have a long way to go), and people tend to get angry at the way I say things because I'm not all Sugar Honey Ice Tea or politically correct with it. It says a lot about a person regarding how they respond to harsh truths. More of a reflection on them than me. Whenever a black person dares to think outside the box or think different, then we're labeled as "Uncle Toms" or "Aunt Jemimas," but we're the first ones always hollering out that "we're not monolithic!"

I'm pretty sure I know how to be as unbiased as possible when I'm teaching the chilluns, but of course, you make assumptions as usual. As always, you and many others misinterpret everything I do and say. I'm used to it.

And it's secede. I see all that good Texas edumacation is being put to good use.

I'm pretty sure I won't get a response. The Queen has spoken

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 06-07-2010 at 01:37 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 01:20 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Don't you love how all these people talking crap about CA don't even have their locations listed.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:21 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Who is he to make such a determination? He makes me sick.
Maher is the poster child for stupid people.

GL2

Old 06-07-2010, 01:23 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
There are extremes on both the conservative and liberal side. Maher is taking advantage of that at the expense of conservatives. Like you said, it's stupid to spend money when there isn't any; something the current administration (AND the former G "Dubya" Bush) did as well.

As far as legislating religious ideals, I'm kind of a Ron Paul guy. Stay the heck out of religion and leave people alone to practice what suits them as long as it isn't hurting someone. If gay people want to be married then they should be allowed to get married. WHO are they hurting by getting married?

Conservatives need to butt out. IMO, they're only pandering to hard core neocons.

Likewise, Democrats need to butt out when it comes to gun laws and such. Leave the freaking people alone. All of these governmental regs on people are driving us to the brink.

That's the reason why I'm becoming more of a Libertarian; the Progs and Repubs seem to be leaning toward big government to satisfy all of our desires. I think both are just short of pond scum and are leading us into disaster, both fiscally and our position in the world.

We should butt the hell out of other people's business around the world; stop being the police of the world and maybe, just maybe we wouldn't be in the position we're in.
Gotca! And I think most Americans tend to agree with you. Permanently separating the church from the government means applying sound constitutional limits. Maher even made a movie called "Religulous" that I think should be required viewing by all public school students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City