Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:03 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,404,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
So are you suggesting that what Maher presents as evidence of stupid is all a lie? If you believe that then you being exactly like the people Maher makes fun of.
Bill Maher makes fun of people's intelligence? Pot. Kettle. Black.

Have you ever seen one of his shows? He stutters and stammers like he just had a lobotomy.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
So are you suggesting that what Maher presents as evidence of stupid is all a lie? If you believe that then you being exactly like the people Maher makes fun of.
What Im saying is Maher is a political commentator. He is no better or worse than Rush Limbaugh, Al Franken, Hannity, or any other yahoo from the left or right. They get where they are by offending people. They also twist and turn facts to present their case. They all do it. This isnt a one-sided issue. Can you really say that these states are actually the stupidest? Is there any scientific evidence? Political commentators on all sides dont spit the truth as is. They have to twist it or it isnt as funny.

Who determines who is "stupid" and who isnt? Not Bill Maher and none of us either.

Reading this thread has made me realize how they can turn otherwise intelligent people into mindless sheep.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:57 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Tell the people in Israel how "stupid" they are for taking religious warfare to extreme levels. Have you been watching the news lately, people in Israel are suffering, dying without food and water and being attacked. Does that make Israel stupider than Texas? No, neither is stupid, people are people, and you're bound to have problems everywhere.

One being a little stupider doesn't nullify the other. No Texas doesn't take part in humans rights abuses...

Or do they?

Will Texas Execute a Man with Mental Retardation? | Human Rights Now - Amnesty International USA Blog

Taliban Texas Still Executing Mentally Retarded Inmates - Christopher di Spirito - Open Salon

Texas is about to execute a mentally retarded man - James Clark - even though the U.S. Supreme Court prohibits it. Petition

Quote:
Laughing at religion and how a state reacts and embraces to religion is the same as laughing at a state for it's economic troubles. It's neither funny now is it something to be proud of.

Would you laugh at Illinois because of the corruption here? You wouldn't. Any normal person would want things to work out for all the better. You have to be an extremist from one side to laugh at the misfortunes, Right wing nut cases laughing at the families who can't pay their next bills because they live in a blue state. Left wing lunatics laughing at innocent children for not retaining proper knowledge because they live in a red state.
How are you relating religious fanaticism to government corruption? Again, I can laugh at Mississippi for being both poor and stupid. I think the reason they are poor is related to them being stupid, which is a result of them taking the Bible literally.

IL might have elected some crooked politicians, but many of them, even Blago, passed some decent legislation while they were in office. George Ryan placed a moratorium on executions after a bunch of Northwestern journalism students exonerated 13 inmates who were on IL's death row.

Quote:
No Jluke, he lost credibility far before he even named a state, he lost credibility when he titled his list "stupidest states" when it should have been "stupidest state governments". He lost credibility for generalizing millions of people as "stupid" because of a few hundred state government officials.
He lost credibility for listing the entire state of Alaska for just "Sarah Palin". I didn't know one person spoke for thousands of people. I didn't know one person is the icon for the way thousands of people are in that state.

So Jluke, this man he lost credibility even before he got started.

There should be no state on that list, not Texas not California.
Who elects those officials to power in the first place? Not to mention, many of those laws were passed through referendums.

Quote:
I'm Indian. How much about my country do you know?

Let's see if you can school me about my own country. Why don't you compare the per capita income of Texas and India. Tell me in which place would people be more better off? Answer, Texas. Why don't you go to India during political elections and see if you can support a party and not get kidnapped, does that happen in Texas? No, it doesn't. Happens more in India. Watch some of the documentary films about Indian politics and then come here and talk about India and China before you make generalizations about which place "stands a chance".
All I need to know in the context of this discussion is that India and China kick the crap out of the U.S. when it comes to educating children in the areas of science and mathematics. You bringing per capita income into the equation is a total red herring, and has no bearing on what is being discussed as India is a 3rd world nation and Texas is located in the wealthiest country on earth.

Quote:
And I suppose you're the same person who thinks it's okay for Illinois to be a axis of political corruption, because it's not a bible thumper like Texas, right?
You're probably the same person who thinks it's okay for California to be drowning into economic turmoil, because it's not a bible thumper right?

Nice to see your one track mind showing. Please play again.
IL doesn't legislate morality like the South does. Political corruption doesn't effect people's everyday lives the way a ban on gay adoption does.

Quote:
I don't see Texas on your list. It's my state, the only state on Maher's stupid list that I'm concerned for. What's your argument for that? In fact, what even is your point?
Um, I don't know how it could be clearer. Perhaps you should go back and re-read it a few times.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/14512980-post100.html

Quote:
Weren't you the same person that called me out for having an "inferiority complex" because I said San Francisco has more pedestrians than Chicago (the city I actually do live in) and then I gave my sources and links to support why I said it only to be debunked by you with the words "you seem to have an inferiority complex". You're reasoning is flawed, how do I have an inferiority complex when i gave another city props above my own city? That is what I mean. I truly can't take anything you say seriously anymore after that post and after this thread.
I don't even want to go into the other thread, but SF only has more pedestrians on a per capita/sq mile/whatever basis. Even if there were a million commuters and a million tourists in the city everyday (which there aren't), there still wouldn't be as many people as are in Chicago everyday. It's pretty elementary.

BTW, I'm totally butthurt that you don't take my posts seriously.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-08-2010 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 06-07-2010, 03:59 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,383,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
What Im saying is Maher is a political commentator. He is no better or worse than Rush Limbaugh, Al Franken, Hannity, or any other yahoo from the left or right. They get where they are by offending people. They also twist and turn facts to present their case. They all do it. This isnt a one-sided issue. Can you really say that these states are actually the stupidest? Is there any scientific evidence? Political commentators on all sides dont spit the truth as is. They have to twist it or it isnt as funny.

Who determines who is "stupid" and who isnt? Not Bill Maher and none of us either.

Reading this thread has made me realize how they can turn otherwise intelligent people into mindless sheep.
So are you saying that it is wise to teach children that the world is 6000 yrs old? Does it show wisdom to condemn gays because some verses in the Bible say it is evil? Was Arizona using good judgment to require president Obama to prove that he is an American citizen or not be put on the ballot in 2012? These are just a few of the things Maher identifies as "stupid" and I certainly agree with him. Evidently you don't. And that's sad.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
So are you saying that it is wise to teach children that the world is 6000 yrs old? Does it show wisdom to condemn gays because some verses in the Bible say it is evil? Was Arizona using good judgment to require president Obama to prove that he is an American citizen or not be put on the ballot in 2012? These are just a few of the things Maher identifies as "stupid" and I certainly agree with him. Evidently you don't. And that's sad.
Dude, youre twisting my words and its kind of pissing me off.

Political commentators are just that, commentators. They are arm chair quarterbacks. I could get my own TV show, tell people who I thought was stupid, and I would be no better or worse than Bill Maher, Rush Limbaugh, or any of those other yahoos who do this.

Those things are bad. A lot of people in Texas are super pissed about the board of educations decisions. I am also a HUGE supporter of gay rights as are alot of people in places you wouldnt expect them. Dallas' mayor marches in the gay pride parade and Dallas has a lesbian sheriff. Austin has long been revered as a gay haven. Houstons mayor IS gay.

Youre trying to do just what Bill Maher is doing and that is make this a one sided issue. There is evil and wrong in the form of conservative and liberal. It goes across the board.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Sorry, unlike you, I'm capable of having two thoughts in my head simultaneously. I think Texas and Israel are both stupid.

One being a little stupider doesn't nullify the other. No Texas doesn't take part in humans rights abuses...

How are you relating religious fanaticism to government corruption? Again, I can laugh at Mississippi for being both poor and stupid. I think the reason they are poor is related to them being stupid, which is a result of them taking the Bible literally.
You should have quit while you were still ahead.

The fact that you laugh at a place because its poor shows that youre no liberal. Liberals try and help the poor, not laugh at them. That remark is disgusting.

The reason they are poor doesnt have anything to do with the bible, but rather the fact that Mississippi and alot of the South havent really recovered from their turbulent history.

I cant stand political extremest on the left or right. What happens to the 80% of the country that is in the middle of the political spectrum when we take the ideals of Bill Maher and Rush Limbaugh and present them as the only options?

Old 06-07-2010, 04:15 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, I forgot...they're also prone to relying upon dated, irrelevant Conservative stereotypes to support their arguments as well.
I so wish you were right. I deeply wish that the stubborn, irrational, bible-clinging stereotype was dated and irrelevant as you say.

Unfortunately, conversations like that happen every day in this country. There are millions of conservatives in America who believe and say exactly what I wrote.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:17 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
What I find stupid is you using Bill Maher as some type of reliable source. Your living in California trying to call us stupid??? hilarious.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
What I find stupid is you using Bill Maher as some type of reliable source. Your living in California trying to call us stupid??? hilarious.
Please prove that what Maher cites as "stupid" is not reliable. Do you honestly believe that he made up all that stuff? Maher is merely citing what exists. You don't like the truth because it is being articulated by a man who delights in mocking people. That does not mean Maher is lying. Maybe he is cruel but he speaks the truth about these issues unless you can prove him wrong. Good luck.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Dude, youre twisting my words and its kind of pissing me off.

Political commentators are just that, commentators. They are arm chair quarterbacks. I could get my own TV show, tell people who I thought was stupid, and I would be no better or worse than Bill Maher, Rush Limbaugh, or any of those other yahoos who do this.

Those things are bad. A lot of people in Texas are super pissed about the board of educations decisions. I am also a HUGE supporter of gay rights as are alot of people in places you wouldnt expect them. Dallas' mayor marches in the gay pride parade and Dallas has a lesbian sheriff. Austin has long been revered as a gay haven. Houstons mayor IS gay.

Youre trying to do just what Bill Maher is doing and that is make this a one sided issue. There is evil and wrong in the form of conservative and liberal. It goes across the board.
Here's what you wrote:
Quote:
They have to twist it or it isnt as funny.
All I asked is where Maher twisted the truth in what he cites as "stupid." Whether you like him or not is immaterial. Maher has every right to label "creationism" as stupid and you seem to agree with him, right?

Don't get all pushed out of shape because your state happens to be on Maher's list. He is merely pointing out the reality that creationism is being promoted by your state's board of education and in Kansas it is even worse. I get upset that my state is desperately in debt but it is the truth rather I like to acknowledge or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City