Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you think Houston belongs more?
Gulf Coast Region 33 61.11%
Texas Triangle Region 21 38.89%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:54 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I never even realized Houston's geographic position between to BIG music cities.
Yeah just the location alone plays a huge role on Houston's music scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 12:58 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times
I'm going to say the gulf region.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:04 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Houston does have a nice Jazz scene. It's moreso the mainstream refined jazz though verses the improvised big brass sound. The Zydeco and Nu-Step scenes are authentic, but I don't know how big of a following those genres have in the metro.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:28 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Houston does have a nice Jazz scene. It's moreso the mainstream refined jazz though verses the improvised big brass sound. The Zydeco and Nu-Step scenes are authentic, but I don't know how big of a following those genres have in the metro.
I have never heard of Nu-Step, but the variations of Dubstep are becoming quite popular in Houston. Dubstep is catching like wildfire in some parts of the city.
I don't know if there's any presence of that in New Orleans, but it's really start to mix up in Houston now...

Overall I think the city is pretty divided between the two regions, possibly leaning more to Texas Triangle though.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:28 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Houston accents are not neutral. Anyway, I'd probably say more influential in the Texas Triangle; However, it's more connected to the Gulf Coast.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:46 PM

74 posts, read 249,919 times
houston is more associated with the gulf because houston is:
1. coastal
2.has a good jazz scene-accociates it with NOLA
3.has a port(like most gulf cities)
4.looks like gulf cities which is flat, marshy and swampy and usually have those beautiful victorian style homes with a nice porch (lake charles, venice, NOLA, beaumont,Tampa)
5. has an oil-based economy(not the only thing, though) like most gulf cities...

AND plus it's least like the other texas cities...no accents(for the most part), more cosmopolitian, and more liberal (along w austin and dallas city)

Houston looks like everything along I-10 east, not THE TRIANGLE

Old 06-23-2010, 10:57 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,018 times
Texas Triangle

Old 06-23-2010, 11:20 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
It depends on which region of the Gulf Coast. The Gulf can be split into several distinct regions with differing economies and cultures.
1. Coastal Texas - Southwest Louisiana
2. Southeast Louisiana
3. New Orleans
4. Coastal Mississippi - Coastal Alabama - Panhandle Florida
5. Central Florida
6. Southwest Florida.
Only the first is heavily influenced by Houston.

Question: When did Houston get a neutral accent??? When people make this claims about Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and even Miami it boggles my mind. Each of those cities have distinguishable accents that vary across social lines but are still local.

Back on topic, you can argue that Houston is influenced by Louisiana culturally with Texan mixed in.
- Culture.. SW Louisiana-Texas hybrid
- Accents.. Houston accents are much slower than both Louisiana and East/North Texas
- Connection.. I think its more connected to Lake Charles, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans economically; but outside of LC its cultural/social influence is minimal in BR and almost none-existent in NO.
- Food.. Mixture of Soul Food, Cajun, Creole, and Mexican
- Music... I don't get the New Orleans connection here.. Houston is more known for Zydeco than Brass Band.

I think the Western Gulf influences Houston culturally, but Houston influences the Western Gulf economically.
because new orleans is its own entity, i will be somewhat of an enclave of the gulf coast, but houston's influence reaches all the way into mississippi, in my opinion

Old 06-23-2010, 11:34 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
On the 3rd Coast.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:36 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
because new orleans is its own entity, i will be somewhat of an enclave of the gulf coast, but houston's influence reaches all the way into mississippi, in my opinion
I'm just saying that each one of those areas are noticeably different from each other. IMO opinion the first 3 three or more or less affected by Houston while the others aren't. I agree that a portion of Mississippi is influenced by Houston, but not the coastal areas. New Orleans is like the midpoint. West of NOLA is flat swampy and connected to Houston, east of NOLA is hilly with pines and white sand beaches. The culture of coastal Mississippi is more like Mobile or Pensacola. I'd say that the portions of Mississippi influenced by Houston are those northwest of New Orleans. (yes, NOLA is east of the Mississippi River)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City