Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:35 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
Are you moving to OHIO? Or are you trolling?

No one here is moving to North Carolina. The 12 circle of hell. Or are you here to annoy the lady?

We who live in Ohio, do not "love the South". Get it? She was very clear - she has no intention of moving to your state, but was responding to a malcontent who want Tampa.

Put down Ohio all you want - on your home state thread. I won't see it. I too have no interest in the South. None.

There is nothing "hypocritical" about preferring where you live over another region.
Please point out the post where I put down Ohio. You won't find one. Nor did I ever suggest that anyone move to where I live. Perhaps you have me confused with someone who has an issue with Ohio?

All I did was point out that some posters get all in a huff when they perceive that another poster is not a fan of their choice of location. I pointed out that those posters, who claim to want people to respect and accept their choices, should extend the same courtesy to others. It is hypocritical to complain and whine about it being unfair when someone is saying crappy things about where you live and then turn around and say crappy things about where others live.

And I agree, it's not at all hypocritical to prefer one region over another. It is, however, hypocritical to bash where others live and then cry foul when it happens to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 01:19 PM

454 posts, read 793,482 times
I love 4 seasons... also love living here in So.Calif..... also loved living in Western PA... and love vacationing in autumn in New England! Every state has something uniquely wonderful to offer regarding it's weather.

I've learned long ago not to judge/complain about/bash weather in all states... people tell me "Oh i wish i lived in San Diego, year around bikinis and 80 degree weather". NOT!!! We get some pretty nasty gloomy days March to June with the chilling clammy marine layer.

Could i live in Ohio or any state with major freezing winters? Probably not (i tremble and turn blue when it's below 70 degrees LOL). But i sometimes daydream how lovely it would be to go sledding in Vermont, or watch the snowfall outside your window on Christmas Eve in Minnesota.

Guess what i'm trying to say is love and enjoy your state!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:19 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyLuvsToTravel View Post
I love 4 seasons... also love living here in So.Calif..... also loved living in Western PA... and love vacationing in autumn in New England! Every state has something uniquely wonderful to offer regarding it's weather.

I've learned long ago not to judge/complain about/bash weather in all states... people tell me "Oh i wish i lived in San Diego, year around bikinis and 80 degree weather". NOT!!! We get some pretty nasty gloomy days March to June with the chilling clammy marine layer.

Could i live in Ohio or any state with major freezing winters? Probably not (i tremble and turn blue when it's below 70 degrees LOL). But i sometimes daydream how lovely it would be to go sledding in Vermont, or watch the snowfall outside your window on Christmas Eve in Minnesota.

Guess what i'm trying to say is love and enjoy your state!
And that's what I'm trying to say - Love where you live or start packing! Not complaining on internet forums. Look for a place that you actually LIKE and MOVE!

We have one life. Live Where You LOVE!

Good point, Sandy!

Old 07-17-2013, 03:02 PM

440 posts, read 595,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I would NEVER EVER EVER consider moving to Florida. People look at Miami and think that the whole state is a huge beach party. Could not be farther from the truth. Florida is probably the most backwards place in the country, not even by a small margin. It really takes the cake.

If you wanna move to Florida, then move to Florida. If you don't like Ohio, then leave Ohio. I can't stand the constant complaining. Put up or shut up.

Note, it would be different if people complained about specific things in Ohio, like the government's policies, the urban design, whatever. But obsessively kvetching about a freaking gray cloud or a snowflake is just terrible. Some of you people must have sad, sad, sad, tragic, depressing, lonely lives.
Once again from the guy that lives in Boston....
And outta curiosity why exactly are you there and not here again, hmm?
I'm sorry if i suffer from a psychological disorder that millions of other people in the world also suffer from being in a cold/cloudy state. If it was something i could control then i would! Yes i try to be active in the winter, but there is only so much you can do outside without freezing your a$$ off, and no i don't prefer to wear 20 layers of clothes to go for a jog. I can guarantee there are plenty more people with the same opinion as me about this place but they just aren't posting, especially by the reps i get on here when i mention such things. But you know what, instead of complaining and doing nothing about it, I will be doing something and heading south this Fall. So FL isn't for everyone, well obviously either is Ohio or the Midwest for that fact for ALOT of other people i hear from on this forum. Let me clarify, i'm not trashing the state of Ohio, although it has its many problems, so does every state, no place is perfect. I grew up here my whole life and all my family and friends are here, and i will always be a Browns/Indians/Cavs fan no matter where i go. But i will express my discontent with the weather, because after all, it is a free country and i'm free to express my opinion. And i would assume it would help other people trying to move to this area to know what they are in for in case they haven't done their research. That is all...

Old 07-17-2013, 04:13 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
Once again from the guy that lives in Boston....
And outta curiosity why exactly are you there and not here again, hmm?
I'm sorry if i suffer from a psychological disorder that millions of other people in the world also suffer from being in a cold/cloudy state. If it was something i could control then i would! Yes i try to be active in the winter, but there is only so much you can do outside without freezing your a$$ off, and no i don't prefer to wear 20 layers of clothes to go for a jog. I can guarantee there are plenty more people with the same opinion as me about this place but they just aren't posting, especially by the reps i get on here when i mention such things. But you know what, instead of complaining and doing nothing about it, I will be doing something and heading south this Fall. So FL isn't for everyone, well obviously either is Ohio or the Midwest for that fact for ALOT of other people i hear from on this forum. Let me clarify, i'm not trashing the state of Ohio, although it has its many problems, so does every state, no place is perfect. I grew up here my whole life and all my family and friends are here, and i will always be a Browns/Indians/Cavs fan no matter where i go. But i will express my discontent with the weather, because after all, it is a free country and i'm free to express my opinion. And i would assume it would help other people trying to move to this area to know what they are in for in case they haven't done their research. That is all...
You're talking to a guy that used to live in Russia. I don't feel bad for you or your 20 layers of clothing. Just get over it.

I left Cleveland to pursue my ideal career. Not because it's a terrible place. I like Cleveland more than Boston, to be candid.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You're talking to a guy that used to live in Russia. I don't feel bad for you or your 20 layers of clothing. Just get over it.

I left Cleveland to pursue my ideal career. Not because it's a terrible place. I like Cleveland more than Boston, to be candid.

Funny. I lived in Ukraine for a year. I don't complain. Really, if I don't like where I live I begin to check out other places. Then I move.

I lived in Ukraine on business. It didn't kill me.

Happy that the OP has plans in place to move. She sounds miserable.

Let's all hope that she follows through.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:04 PM

182 posts, read 272,785 times
Some people believe that they can find "happiness" by relocating to some new place, some "paradise"---real estate agents can prey upon such people---they are the ones who came up with "The Sunshine State" and "Sarasota is Paradise"----the pursuit of "the perfect place"-----but alas, there is no such perfection on this earth...yes, the South has somewhat more sun than Ohio...but also has more bugs---LOTS more bugs, more alligator, more hurricanes, LOTS more humidity, more homeless panhandlers...there is no perfection...there is also a reason why the early settlers chose the Ohio Country....wonderful farmland, mild temperate climate, few natural disasters...but, human nature being what it is, since Ohio is not "perfect," many of its citizens strike out to parts unknown, ever in search of that "perfect place" where they will find the "happiness" that has mysteriously eluded them here...sadly, they will not find it at their new destination, for to a large degree, "happiness" is not a place, it is a state of mind...

Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Read the bolded sentences. If you don't like people putting down Ohio, then why do you frequently do the same to others? You love where you live. So do other people. If you really believe what you said above, then take your own advice. It was good.
She likes where she lives. Do you live in Ohio? Thinking about moving there? So what's your point?

You love UNC and North Carolina - stay there and enjoy the hell out of it.

Last edited by SoulJourn; 07-26-2013 at 02:23 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 02:20 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.ess.ess.esq. View Post
Some people believe that they can find "happiness" by relocating to some new place, some "paradise"---real estate agents can prey upon such people---they are the ones who came up with "The Sunshine State" and "Sarasota is Paradise"----the pursuit of "the perfect place"-----but alas, there is no such perfection on this earth...yes, the South has somewhat more sun than Ohio...but also has more bugs---LOTS more bugs, more alligator, more hurricanes, LOTS more humidity, more homeless panhandlers...there is no perfection...there is also a reason why the early settlers chose the Ohio Country....wonderful farmland, mild temperate climate, few natural disasters...but, human nature being what it is, since Ohio is not "perfect," many of its citizens strike out to parts unknown, ever in search of that "perfect place" where they will find the "happiness" that has mysteriously eluded them here...sadly, they will not find it at their new destination, for to a large degree, "happiness" is not a place, it is a state of mind...

Exactly and well said. I like the climate here. If the OP doesn't she should move. Why she wants permission from Ohioans is strange to me. We don't want to move to the South or to put down our state.

This is silliness!

My first Summer in Ohio and I love the relatively cool and humidity free climate. I like the low cost of living and the fact that the state is diverse politically, and people don't judge you by your politics.

I am proud of the beauty of my adopted state, and of the role that my particular area played in the abolitionist movement. I am also proud of the huge number of highly competitive and esteemed institutions of higher learning in Ohio.

We have Oberlin, Kenyon, Ohio State, Case Western Reserve, Ohio University, Hiram, Ohio Northern, College of Wooster, Ohio Wesleyan and so many more.

We have beautiful State parks and a coast. From the shores of Lake Erie to Hocking Hills and places I've yet to explore, this place is beautiful.

And it's people. friendly and open to new comers. Nothing against Easterners or Westerners. I don't feel like jumping through hoops of fire to prove myself to Southerners. They are still fighting the Civil War.

So really, if anyone wants humidity, entrenched racism, bad schools, suspicion of Northerners, a pure Red state and all of that phoniness - move south! Be my guest.

Why Southerners are here defending the South, does not surprise me at all. Most of them are defensive about everything. I don't venture on to Southern sites.

That poster had every reason to express his opinion about the south. On an Ohio forum.

I wouldn't suggest he try that in Mississippi, North Carolina or Alabama though.

Just a heads up.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:34 PM

182 posts, read 272,785 times
As for the pollen? My Florida friends say that every year they have to brush the pollen from their cars, just as we do with snow...they also say that for one months each spring and each fall, you have to wash your car every day because of the bugs all over it....no thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland