Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:50 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Yeah if you're okay with rampant heroin and other hard drug use, then orange would be great. Every school has it's problems.
Sources or GTFO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 07:36 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Sources or GTFO
My only source is the people I know who went to Orange, including one who ended up dying of a heroin overdose.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:48 PM

11,058 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
My only source is the people I know who went to Orange, including one who ended up dying of a heroin overdose.
hmm me no likey anecdotes...

Old 03-12-2014, 09:48 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdublin21 View Post
Highly recommend Chagrin Falls. The commute will be on average 40minute trip going (at the most--maybe less). Chagrin is great, and well worth it. Can't go wrong with the Chagrin, Solon, and Orange school districts!
Lived in Chagrin, as I have said before IMO the best place in OH to live and worth the commute.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:03 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,033 times
Quote:
Good luck finding somewhere that doesn't have heroin issues. That's like saying you know people who live somewhere where people do meth.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,534 times
I don't live in Chagrin Falls, but I would vote for it for you based on your desires. A lot of the homes near the town center are late-1800's to early 1900's that have been very well maintained and retrofitted with modern stuff like air conditioning. The town center is very walkable.

One note - a lot of the area in Chagrin Falls is on hills, and the roads going into and out of the town are relatively narrow with steep parts (like old roads from the 1800's that were modified for car traffic). I don't think it's a big deal at all, but in the snow it would be beneficial to have an awd car or a car with snow tires.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:02 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,255,600 times
I can't believe there's been no suggestion of LAKEWOOD? Lakewood is a "first ring" suburb with urban charms, good schools and a wide variety of eclectic neighborhoods and housing stock. The city is also making BIG IMPROVEMENTS to Lakewood Park, making it much more accessible for residents to reach the shoreline.

Lakewood is beautiful and it IS very safe - The Lakewood Police are known for their quick response times if the need arises.

The city is probably one of the most walkable suburbs in the entire metro area - it is also one of the few suburbs that actually has a large "Downtown" district of it's own.

I've lived in Lakewood, it is a very engaged community with a lot of civic PRIDE, too. It has been voted one of the most ICONIC and BEST SUBURBS in America.

It is about a 25 to 35 minute commute to East Cleveland, so not a bad work commute at all.

City of Lakewood, Ohio

Lakewood Park Improvements

Lakewood Park Waterfront Improvements - YouTube

Old 03-15-2014, 12:03 AM

493 posts, read 639,825 times
Shaker Heights isn't 100% safe, and there are a lot of 20 year olds and college students there, so I consider it a pretty noisy neighborhood. Solon is a good place to go because the schools are one of the best in Ohio, and Solon it self is safe. Solon doesn't really have too many older houses, but mostly newer houses built in the 80's, 90's and still are being built. The houses are way below the $800,000 limit, most of them costing around $300,000 to $400,000. And these are nice houses. They aren't those wooded private drive mansion 5+ acres type houses, but more so "living in comfort" in a nice looking house on about half an acre of land with beautiful streets and great neighbors. The commute to downtown is decent, and Solon is close to 271, 77, 480 and the turnpike. Solon is close to the neighboring suburbs with the nightlife such as Beachwood and Cleveland Heights. Hope this helped

Old 03-15-2014, 01:58 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
Shaker Heights isn't 100% safe, and there are a lot of 20 year olds and college students there, so I consider it a pretty noisy neighborhood.
??? That's a huge and inaccurate generalization. It's not like Shaker is just one neighborhood besides.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:50 AM

236 posts, read 695,743 times
Jen,

Solon is to Cleveland as West Chester or Mason is to Cincinnati. While it's fine for some, it doesn't sound like what you are looking for. As a former Cincinnati resident myself, the closest thing to Wyoming is probably Rocky River or Shaker Heights, but they vary for many different reasons (east (SH)/west (RR)/diverse (SH)/not diverse (RR)). When we relocated to Cleveland from Charlotte a few years ago, we chose Shaker Heights. To be fair, the taxes are very high due to the lack of a commercial tax base, but we knew that going into it. The homes (most) have significant charm, as many built in the 1920's. Shaker has an educated and typically a rather politically liberal resident profile (top 3 with % residents college degrees around Cleveland) but it does have its areas that are less desirable which do impact the overall rating of the school district.

Since moving here, we have experienced no issues with safety or crime and every one of my neighbors sends their kids to Shaker Heights Public Schools; most have nothing but positive things to say about their experience with the schools, but to be fair, they are biased based upon their own experiences.

I'm sure many people who live in Rocky River have their own positive experiences about that community as well. Great schools, older homes with character.

There are many other communities like Chagrin Falls (in town), that might fit your criteria. The commute from Chagrin Falls to E. Cleveland could be a challenge.

Unfortunately, the City of Cleveland lacks neighborhoods like Hyde Park, Oakley and Mt. Lookout for example that would also be an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland