Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:57 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Also consider Cleveland Heights near coventry: Coventry Village | Cleveland Heights Ohio
This area would allow you to hit downtown in under 30 minutes, even take the train or bus if you desire. It is also within 30 minutes of much of the I-271 area. The other area where you might find employment would be the Rockside road area in Independence south of downtown. This area would be about 40 minutes from Coventry, but less than 30 minutes if you were in Lakewood.
Good luck in your new-home search.
The OP stated he did not want a "happening" area, nor one overrun with college students. For this reason I didn't suggest Coventry because I didn't think it would be a good fit.

Other, quieter parts of Cleveland Heights might fit the bill, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 08:07 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
The OP stated he did not want a "happening" area, nor one overrun with college students. For this reason I didn't suggest Coventry because I didn't think it would be a good fit.

Other, quieter parts of Cleveland Heights might fit the bill, however.
Yes. I want to live in a sleepy, quiet area, but not with a family oriented vibe. If that exists.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:08 PM

I'm also curious about the public transportation system in Cleveland. Not that I intend to use it, but it seems cool to know about. Is it as extensive as say, NYC or Chicago? What is it like? Is it an underground subway system? Above ground? Any maps or pictures about it? Have you used it yourself?

Old 02-17-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's fine as long as it's in good shape and has decent soundproofing between units. And as long as it's updated on the inside. I could probably stretch my budget to $900, if I need to.
Now you've hit upon a possible sticking point. Cleveland is somewhat behind the curve when it comes to having the most up-to-date interiors. There is a downside to low housing costs.

In Lakewood, for example, many apartments have good bones and loads of character, but have very dated kitchens and bathrooms. Even in grander suburbs such as Shaker Heights, many of those stately homes have kitchens that are out of date.

Have you ever watched the TV show "Hot in Cleveland"? Look at that big house the women live in, and then check out that totally ancient kitchen.

If your idea of "updated" means the latest and greatest granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, marble flooring, etc., that might be tough to find (except in newer complexes downtown). And if you do find it, you will likely pay more.

Of course, once you get settled and buy your own place, then you can update it however you want.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Now you've hit upon a possible sticking point. Cleveland is somewhat behind the curve when it comes to having the most up-to-date interiors. There is a downside to low housing costs.

In Lakewood, for example, many apartments have good bones and loads of character, but have very dated kitchens and bathrooms. Even in grander suburbs such as Shaker Heights, many of those stately homes have kitchens that are out of date.

Have you ever watched the TV show "Hot in Cleveland"? Look at that big house the women live in, and then check out that totally ancient kitchen.

If your idea of "updated" means the latest and greatest granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, marble flooring, etc., that might be tough to find (except in newer complexes downtown). And if you do find it, you will likely pay more.

Of course, once you get settled and buy your own place, then you can update it however you want.
Okay then what if I stretch my budget up to $1,000 a month for a 1 bd unit? You mean to tell me that even for $1,000 a month in Cleveland, I can't get an apartment with updated interiors (kitchen, bathroom, etc.)? If that's the case, then Cleveland isn't such a bargain after all.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Okay then what if I stretch my budget up to $1,000 a month for a 1 bd unit? You mean to tell me that even for $1,000 a month in Cleveland, I can't get an apartment with updated interiors (kitchen, bathroom, etc.)? If that's the case, then Cleveland isn't such a bargain after all.
You can. You might even be able to get it for $850.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:19 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
I'm also curious about the public transportation system in Cleveland. Not that I intend to use it, but it seems cool to know about. Is it as extensive as say, NYC or Chicago? What is it like? Is it an underground subway system? Above ground? Any maps or pictures about it? Have you used it yourself?
Why don't you just google it? It's all there, complete with pictures. Especially since you don't plan to use it, look on the internet. Also, visit Cleveland for the real feel of the place. You can ride the Red Line from the Airport into downtown; this will give a taste of it.

If the public transportation were as extensive as NY's, you wouldn't be wondering about it.

It's great that you're interested in Cleveland, but c'mon, relying on internet answers for a possible relocation is not the wisest thing to do.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
You're posting about apartments etc with someone who has lived in Chicago for the past 20 years.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
You can. You might even be able to get it for $850.
I just searched on Craigslist at listings and I'm having a hard time believing how low the prices are for apartments and house rentals.

Seriously....$1,100 for a 1,650 sq ft HOUSE? Unless it's in a bad area, I don't know. It can be purchased for $90K, which is a piece of cake for me

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/apa/4891175757.html

That's insane. It must be in a bad area. I don't believe it. Right now I'm paying $1,750 to rent a 600 sq ft 1 bd apartment.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:27 PM

[quote=nep321;38487435]I just searched on Craigslist at listings and I'm having a hard time believing how low the prices are for apartments and house rentals.

Seriously....$1,100 for a 1,650 sq ft HOUSE? Unless it's in a bad area, I don't know. It can be purchased for $90K, which is a piece of cake for me

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/apa/4891175757.html

That's insane. It must be in a bad area. I don't believe it. Right now I'm paying $1,750 to rent a 600 sq ft 1 bd apartment.[/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland