Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:27 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times

Advertisements

Can someone show me proof that Cleveland is going through a renaissance? Or is this something that people just "sense" is going on right now? In any case, can the renaissance be "felt" among those currently living there? Is there a vibe of optimism right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 11:41 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Here's about 175 pages of proof:

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...sions-175.html

To your second question, yes, the renaissance can definitely be felt; abandoned skyscrapers are coming back to life, downtown residency is booming to unprecedented levels, formerly rough neighborhoods are rejuvenating. It can be felt all across the city, especially by long-time residents who have seen the city in much darker days.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:45 AM

869 posts, read 1,277,338 times
If you follow the new construction and $$$:

- Cleveland with Biotech investment: http://www.bioenterprise.com/resourc...28FINAL%29.pdf
- Cleveland attracting college degreed people much faster than some peer cities...including Chicago Unexpected brain gain boosts Cleveland toward new economy, study finds | cleveland.com
- 7-8 new hotels Downtown Cleveland Cleveland a "city of choice" for development
- $5.5 Billion in new development Downtown 23 reasons why downtown Cleveland is "back"!

Last edited by usaf_1832; 02-19-2015 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-19-2015, 11:46 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Can someone show me proof that Cleveland is going through a renaissance? Or is this something that people just "sense" is going on right now? In any case, can the renaissance be "felt" among those currently living there? Is there a vibe of optimism right now?
For starters, you stated previously that there are lots of jobs in your field. Employment opportunities are always a good sign.

Last edited by Kamms; 02-19-2015 at 11:55 AM..

Old 02-19-2015, 12:06 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
The city hit bankruptcy in 1978. During that 15-20 year stretch, the decline, which had already been felt because of the manufacturing sector which was declining, became more rampant. There was building during this stretch, the early workings of getting the city back on the right track, and having a strong urban core.

However, those things didn't necessarily pay off, as various factors, including corrupt politicians, led to the Flats, which was the Northern French Quarter of it's time, becoming a crime filled wasteland, and it was eventually knocked down. BP, a major employer who many thought would never leave due to the Standard Oil connection, left for Chicago during this period of decline. In addition, National City, one of the largest banks in the country ran into trouble during the financial crisis, and the city had increased financial difficulties during that time because of that. I can say that as a child, the only time I went to Cleveland was mainly for our world class museums, sports and theater districts, many other portions of the city either didn't have anything to see, or were considered dangerous.

Since then though, I can name at least ten specific things that have happened for the better, to prove this to you.

1. The Cleveland Clinic and University Hospital systems have both experienced tremendous growth in their employee sector and quality provided. Cleveland now boasts 2 of the top 10 hospitals in America, and one, the Cleveland Clinic, has been considered arguably the best, with only MGH and Mayo standing as rivals. The hospital has a 3 billion endowment and has always been good, but it has experienced tremendous growth. The city added a Medical Mart downtown, just as a result of this, and to further add to the advantage of being outside of Boston, the healthcare hub of the nation.

2. KeyBank was a merger of Society Bank and AmTrust, I believe, which formed in the 1990's. Many people that have their "picture" of what Cleveland is, haven't seen this bank which I believe is still among the 20 largest in the US, and only became a "big league bank" recently. Also, there has been growth in the local banking sector recently as well, from what I have heard.

3. Nestle to move jobs to Solon from Colorado | cleveland.com Not positive, but Nestle seems to be having an increasingly large presence in the Cleveland area, and that seems to be helping. Also, many of the manufacturing sector jobs that are still here are now thriving, but Cleveland has made the shift away from being a rust belt city reliant on industry. We're basically Pittsburgh, except were doing it a decade later.

4. Certain jobs are moving back to the region, and into the downtown core. For instance, Ernst & Young put a major operation base right near downtown, and others again are starting to invest and express confidence in the region.

5. Look at downtown residential population. I believe it was something like 5,000 the year I was born, and now is up to about 15,000. Projections are that it will hit 25,000 before the end of the decade. The amount of people downtown with a college degree has increased by 300 PERCENT during that time.

6. Both Case Western Reserve and Cleveland State have actually been improving their reputations in recent years, attracting higher quality students, and in Cleveland State's case, growing the number of students who both attend the school, and live in the downtown core. As a result of that and other factors, Cleveland now ranks 8th in the number of educated people moving to the region, which is a much, much more critical metric than actual population statistics. Other places may be growing faster, but they also have a bunch more people only in service/minimum wage jobs.

7. Cleveland's Biotechnology Industry is thriving, I don't have any specific numbers, but it is quickly becoming a hub for this type of industry. When I was born, that industry was essentially non existent here.

8. Cleveland is gradually attracting more attention as an arts destination. Despite not having the population base of larger cities like New York City and Chicago, I think it could be argued that Cleveland's art museum made the biggest leap of all of them recently, and is now among the Top 3 in country and Top 10 worldwide. They not only added a $350 million renovation to store their collection, but during that time they added interactive technology not present in any other museum, and added the Apollo sculpture done by Praxiteles, which is probably the most important ancient antiquity/artwork present in the Western Hemisphere. Severance Hall is considered not just among best in the US, but has been voted best in the world. Also, Playhouse Square got a new makeover, and the local arts scene in all the neighborhoods is thriving.

9. Cleveland is specifically focusing on things that millenials want and enjoy, and is primed for being a 21st century city with this type of thinking. There are literally dozens of farmers markets around town, including the World Renowned West Side Market, and the Ohio City Farm, one of the largest urban farms in America. Not only are they big on that sustainable movement, but the city has become probably one of the top ten foodie destinations in America, with the likes of Iron Chef Michael Symon operating several restaurants around town. Cleveland is seen now as a destination city for many things, including conventions, such as the Republican National Convention which chose Cleveland as it's destination of choice because of all the city had to offer, and the connectivity present within the city. The city is now looking to become one of the most bike friendly cities anywhere. By 2020, you will be able to bike from the shores of Lake Erie, through a beautiful national park, all the way to the Appalachian Mountains, without encountering even a single car. They are also adding an East Side and West Side Greenway, perfect for people looking to commute by bike or foot, and sort of imitating the High Line Park in New York City, which will only encourage more development in that area.

10. Ohio post recession now has one of the lower unemployment rates of the US, and Cleveland now has a lower unemployment rate than many cities, including Atlanta. While the population in the region has declined, part of that is that people have moved to Northern Summit County, which as many people have pointed out is very much a part of the Cleveland Metro area. Also, want proof of a come back within the city? Look at housing values in near city neighborhoods. There are places in Ohio City, Little Italy and Tremont that were less than $100,000 15-20 years ago, that now have been fixed up and are going for $300-$400 thousand.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, as there is currently over $6 Billion in development planned, and much of that is coming from private dollars. The most exciting thing is the potential that stems from having a lakefront/riverfront to develop, which likely will be at least partially developed by 2020.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
The city hit bankruptcy in 1978. During that 15-20 year stretch, the decline, which had already been felt because of the manufacturing sector which was declining, became more rampant. There was building during this stretch, the early workings of getting the city back on the right track, and having a strong urban core.

However, those things didn't necessarily pay off, as various factors, including corrupt politicians, led to the Flats, which was the Northern French Quarter of it's time, becoming a crime filled wasteland, and it was eventually knocked down. BP, a major employer who many thought would never leave due to the Standard Oil connection, left for Chicago during this period of decline. In addition, National City, one of the largest banks in the country ran into trouble during the financial crisis, and the city had increased financial difficulties during that time because of that. I can say that as a child, the only time I went to Cleveland was mainly for our world class museums, sports and theater districts, many other portions of the city either didn't have anything to see, or were considered dangerous.

Since then though, I can name at least ten specific things that have happened for the better, to prove this to you.

1. The Cleveland Clinic and University Hospital systems have both experienced tremendous growth in their employee sector and quality provided. Cleveland now boasts 2 of the top 10 hospitals in America, and one, the Cleveland Clinic, has been considered arguably the best, with only MGH and Mayo standing as rivals. The hospital has a 3 billion endowment and has always been good, but it has experienced tremendous growth. The city added a Medical Mart downtown, just as a result of this, and to further add to the advantage of being outside of Boston, the healthcare hub of the nation.

2. KeyBank was a merger of Society Bank and AmTrust, I believe, which formed in the 1990's. Many people that have their "picture" of what Cleveland is, haven't seen this bank which I believe is still among the 20 largest in the US, and only became a "big league bank" recently. Also, there has been growth in the local banking sector recently as well, from what I have heard.

3. Nestle to move jobs to Solon from Colorado | cleveland.com Not positive, but Nestle seems to be having an increasingly large presence in the Cleveland area, and that seems to be helping. Also, many of the manufacturing sector jobs that are still here are now thriving, but Cleveland has made the shift away from being a rust belt city reliant on industry. We're basically Pittsburgh, except were doing it a decade later.

4. Certain jobs are moving back to the region, and into the downtown core. For instance, Ernst & Young put a major operation base right near downtown, and others again are starting to invest and express confidence in the region.

5. Look at downtown residential population. I believe it was something like 5,000 the year I was born, and now is up to about 15,000. Projections are that it will hit 25,000 before the end of the decade. The amount of people downtown with a college degree has increased by 300 PERCENT during that time.

6. Both Case Western Reserve and Cleveland State have actually been improving their reputations in recent years, attracting higher quality students, and in Cleveland State's case, growing the number of students who both attend the school, and live in the downtown core. As a result of that and other factors, Cleveland now ranks 8th in the number of educated people moving to the region, which is a much, much more critical metric than actual population statistics. Other places may be growing faster, but they also have a bunch more people only in service/minimum wage jobs.

7. Cleveland's Biotechnology Industry is thriving, I don't have any specific numbers, but it is quickly becoming a hub for this type of industry. When I was born, that industry was essentially non existent here.

8. Cleveland is gradually attracting more attention as an arts destination. Despite not having the population base of larger cities like New York City and Chicago, I think it could be argued that Cleveland's art museum made the biggest leap of all of them recently, and is now among the Top 3 in country and Top 10 worldwide. They not only added a $350 million renovation to store their collection, but during that time they added interactive technology not present in any other museum, and added the Apollo sculpture done by Praxiteles, which is probably the most important ancient antiquity/artwork present in the Western Hemisphere. Severance Hall is considered not just among best in the US, but has been voted best in the world. Also, Playhouse Square got a new makeover, and the local arts scene in all the neighborhoods is thriving.

9. Cleveland is specifically focusing on things that millenials want and enjoy, and is primed for being a 21st century city with this type of thinking. There are literally dozens of farmers markets around town, including the World Renowned West Side Market, and the Ohio City Farm, one of the largest urban farms in America. Not only are they big on that sustainable movement, but the city has become probably one of the top ten foodie destinations in America, with the likes of Iron Chef Michael Symon operating several restaurants around town. Cleveland is seen now as a destination city for many things, including conventions, such as the Republican National Convention which chose Cleveland as it's destination of choice because of all the city had to offer, and the connectivity present within the city. The city is now looking to become one of the most bike friendly cities anywhere. By 2020, you will be able to bike from the shores of Lake Erie, through a beautiful national park, all the way to the Appalachian Mountains, without encountering even a single car. They are also adding an East Side and West Side Greenway, perfect for people looking to commute by bike or foot, and sort of imitating the High Line Park in New York City, which will only encourage more development in that area.

10. Ohio post recession now has one of the lower unemployment rates of the US, and Cleveland now has a lower unemployment rate than many cities, including Atlanta. While the population in the region has declined, part of that is that people have moved to Northern Summit County, which as many people have pointed out is very much a part of the Cleveland Metro area. Also, want proof of a come back within the city? Look at housing values in near city neighborhoods. There are places in Ohio City, Little Italy and Tremont that were less than $100,000 15-20 years ago, that now have been fixed up and are going for $300-$400 thousand.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, as there is currently over $6 Billion in development planned, and much of that is coming from private dollars. The most exciting thing is the potential that stems from having a lakefront/riverfront to develop, which likely will be at least partially developed by 2020.
That sounds a heck of a lot more interesting than anything happening in St. Louis right now. I could be wrong though.

I just hope that Cleveland doesn't turn into some yuppie/young/hipster mecca like so many other cities have become. That's why Cleveland currently appeals to me more than Columbus, because it seems to be everything that Columbus is NOT.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
For starters, you stated previously that there are lots of jobs in your field. Employment opportunities are always a good sign.
Yes, there are significantly more corporate tax jobs that I'm qualified for in Cleveland than in Columbus even! Hopefully the competition factor is easier in Cleveland than it is in Columbus.

Do you think Cleveland employers would be willing to hire a transplant as qualified as me? Or do they only care about native candidates?

Old 02-19-2015, 01:06 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
Well I guess you can't necessarily have "both", haha. IF a city is doing well, which I think you'd want, you're probably going to find some people that are the yuppie/hipster types. Cleveland has them, as does any other city. What specific aspect of having those people do you not like? I think it's positive to have aspirational people around trying to do good things for themselves. Are some of those people jerks? Absolutely! But, I guess that's why you have to choose your friends wisely. Columbus is probably viewed in a more positive light right now, if that's what you mean, and I guess a major difference between Columbus and Cleveland, is that while Cleveland has young people, and people from all age groups, it isn't a major university city, where tons of college students are going to be at. There are great colleges here, but it isn't exactly what I'd describe as a college town, like Columbus, or Boston, or Pittsburgh, or Seattle. So I suppose, if what you're asking for is like a right balance, you could say Cleveland has that, but I'm not sure.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:02 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Well I guess you can't necessarily have "both", haha. IF a city is doing well, which I think you'd want, you're probably going to find some people that are the yuppie/hipster types. Cleveland has them, as does any other city. What specific aspect of having those people do you not like? I think it's positive to have aspirational people around trying to do good things for themselves. Are some of those people jerks? Absolutely! But, I guess that's why you have to choose your friends wisely. Columbus is probably viewed in a more positive light right now, if that's what you mean, and I guess a major difference between Columbus and Cleveland, is that while Cleveland has young people, and people from all age groups, it isn't a major university city, where tons of college students are going to be at. There are great colleges here, but it isn't exactly what I'd describe as a college town, like Columbus, or Boston, or Pittsburgh, or Seattle. So I suppose, if what you're asking for is like a right balance, you could say Cleveland has that, but I'm not sure.
Cleveland State is a very different university.

Many of its students work, often in co-op programs. It has a gigantic evening program.

Faculty is attracted to the school by the easy opportunity to consult/work during the day, but teach afternoon or evening classes.

Its academic programs are heavily oriented towards real world employment, especially its graduate programs. It has the largest law school in Ohio and a top-rated school of urban policy.

CSU doesn't have a great deal of university spirit compared to most universities, as many students also commute to work/school. Yet the maturity and hard-working attitude of its students is noted by many faculty members.

CSU is by far the largest university in Cleveland and is located next to PlayhouseSquare downtown.

So the only true university atmosphere in Cleveland is in the University Circle area where Case Western is located. Even there, there is not a heavy emphasis on athletics, much less so than at even Ivy League schools. The atmosphere is closer to the University of Chicago, but Case Western by comparison to any other school in the country is located within easy walking distance of some of the nation's great cultural institutions and medical centers.

University Circle also has an extraordinary emphasis on the arts due to the presence of the acclaimed Cleveland Institute of Art (Cleveland's "CIA" :-)) and the Cleveland Institute of Music, both among the top schools in their fields.

Case Western does have a football team, but it competes in the Div. III University Athletic Association, a conference unknown to most Clevelanders. It is a conference with members such as the Univ. of Chicago, Carnegie Mellon, New York University, Washington University in St. Louis and Brandeis, schools much more acclaimed for their academic than their athletic brawn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...urrent_members

Probably the top university athletic program in Greater Cleveland is the CSU basketball program, which plays at the university's Wolstein Center. CSU is a member of the Div. I Horizon League and regularly features top basketball programs, such as Ohio State, on its road schedule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon...urrent_members

John Carroll and Baldwin Wallace have top Div. III football programs, which receive some local publicity, but both schools are located in Cleveland suburbs. With noted and nearby Div. III athletic power Mount Union also a conference member, the Ohio Athletic Conference is one of the top Div. III athletic conferences in the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_At...urrent_members

By far, Cleveland's interest in university sports is focused on The Ohio State University Buckeyes, where many of Greater Cleveland's top high school athletes continue their careers.

Nearby Kent State Univ. and the Univ. of Akron are members of the Div. I Mid-American Conference, and MAC alumni are very plentiful in Cleveland. Cleveland annually hosts the MAC basketball championships, likely the top athletic event in downtown Cleveland, rivaled only occasionally by the fortunes of the CSU basketball program and frequent regional NCAA tournaments. Cleveland last year did host the Gay Games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Ame...urrent_members

Last edited by WRnative; 02-19-2015 at 02:31 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I don't have anything against those kinds of people. I just don't like when any one type of person is overabundant in a city. Heck, I'm a yuppie myself, I suppose. I'm white collar, single and 30 years old, but don't live in luxury. I like places that have large concentrations of middle class people, and a good mix of both white and blue collar folk. No extremes, basically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland