Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 12:51 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Bureaucrats and lawyers trying to regulate Uber into submission -- and out of commission: Ted Diadiun | cleveland.com

That was not hard to find at all!

Oh and Seattle has too. And Cleveland. And New York. You can google it all. Plenty of democratic and republican cities are frantically trying to regulate ride sharing.

I don't talk about the toll road because I haven't read enough. Kind of like how you should not talk about Russia.

I'm actually a registered independent and I don't plan on voting for Hillary or trump. I'm not going to apologize for being against military intervention. I don't feel bad for my lack of jingoism. I find this point bizarre. Also trump walks back everything he says ghat accidentally sounds rational. Trump is not going to leave NATO.
Ted Diadiun:

<< Cleveland officials have discussed legislation that would force Uber to license its drivers, conduct background checks and vehicle inspections among other things, but have yet to act on it.>>

Heaven forbid that Uber should employ drivers who are no threat to their riders, and who drive safe vehicles.

Comprehensive List of Uber Incidents and Assaults | Who

I'm very pro-Uber, but I do believe that Uber should have responsibility for providing a safe and reliable rider experience, and for providing adequate insurance in case of harm incurred by riders. It's ridiculous that riders should rely on the insurance coverage of individual drivers.

In a rational market, Uber and Lyft would be held to the same safety standards as taxi companies.

Last edited by WRnative; 08-02-2016 at 01:35 PM..

Old 08-02-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I'm really sick of you misrepresenting what I said. I never said I want Russia to invade Finland. It was hyperbole. I said it was way more likely that Russia would start another war in Chechnya than invade Helsinki. Please stop this nonsense. Good lord!!!! This is not hard to understand.
See post 333 here.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...voting-34.html

Here's what you wrote.

<<I would be MUCH more concerned about a third Chechen War than Russia rolling tanks into Helsinki or something.>>

I repeatedly said it was a disgusting comment, and now all you say is that it was hyperbole. No apology. No statement that it was wrong. How very Trump-like. My criticism of your comment about Helsinki is not nonsense, whether you like it or not.

Then you backed it up with anti-NATO statements, and with a comment that you didn't want to die or have any other American die fighting to defend NATO members, let alone Finland (which has stayed out of NATO in attempt to avoid providing Putin with an excuse to punish it).

Quote:
Putin is passing laws to censor the internet. He has an anti "homosexual propaganda" law that can mean basically anything he wants it to mean. He is responsible for the devastation of Chechnya and has committed a multitude of war crimes in the Caucasus region. There is somewhat compelling evidence that the fsb was behind several terrorist attacks on its own citizens. Russia outright bans western foods and other goods solely because they're western, forcing Russians to either go without or spend more of their money for worse quality things. Their money is also rapidly inflating.

I'm pretty sure Im the only person on these boards that has lived in Russia, speaks Russian, has been to Ukraine, and follows this stuff on a daily basis partly out of hobby partly as part of my job, and partly for my MA.

I see the Ukrainian and Georgian military actions the same way as USA military actions-distracting the people from their crumbling system and society at home. Death tolls from both of those combined don't hold a candle to the bush and Obama administrations. I can be against wars and still feel some are worse than others. If you find it so despicable that Russia has been involved in these places, then you should really be troubled by American political leaders.
I'm glad that some Putin actions bother you. Yet you made no mention that he has virtually eliminated independent media and actually passed legislation where he appoints governors eliminating democratic elections.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/wo...form.html?_r=0

Even if your comments about U.S. actions in Iraq, elsewhere in the Middle East, and Afghanistan were accurate (which is questionable), they do NOT excuse the actions of Putin who actually has annexed the territory of other nations in violation of international law. The U.S. has engaged in no permanent occupation, and largely was motivated by events such as 9/11. You do remember 9/11 and the Taliban's harboring of bin Laden and his Al Qaeda leadership after 9/11?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qae...in_Afghanistan

As I stated, Putin conducted a sham election in the Crimea to support his annexation. There were no international monitors. Your argument was that Putin and the Russian people wanted Crimea, so they were entitled to it, regardless of the actual wishes of the Crimean people. By contrast, when the democratically elected government of Iraq asked us to withdraw our combat units, we did so. We pulled out of the Philippines when requested to do so.

You've offered no justification for the Russian invasion of eastern Ukraine.

And, again, even if you were joking, your dismissal of tanks rolling into Helsinki is a shocking thought that I will never forget. I've never, ever heard another American make such a statement. It's especially disturbing coming from someone who claims such expertise about Russia.

Last edited by WRnative; 08-02-2016 at 01:29 PM..

Old 08-02-2016, 02:00 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Yeah, you never use "leftists" or name-calling. I'll stick to my statement that such posts are weak-minded.

Especially with your pro-Putin blabbering, don't count me as an admiring fan of many of your statements and positions.
Is using the term ''leftist'' now name calling?

I always thought, at least in political terms, it was liberal-leaning while right-winger was the opposite.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:03 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
And, again, even if you were joking, your dismissal of tanks rolling into Helsinki is a shocking thought that I will never forget. I've never, ever heard another American make such a statement. It's especially disturbing coming from someone who claims such expertise about Russia.
Kyrie eleison.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 08-02-2016 at 02:14 PM..

Old 08-02-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post

I always thought, at least in political terms, it was liberal-leaning while right-winger was the opposite.
The problem is that you use it without any objective discussion of the issues.

E.g., you dismiss criticisms of Trump as those of "lefties" when many conservatives are among his harshest critics. Is John Kasich a "lefty?"

My impression is that you and others resort to labels because they either can't, or are too lazy, to discuss topics based on objective facts.

Also, it's really an ego boost for weak-minded individuals to simply dismiss others with a label.

Last edited by WRnative; 08-02-2016 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-02-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post

I understand not labeling but words still have meanings. Left and right wing, while not perfect terms, do a good job of painting a very general picture of ideology. Certainly, one should be permitted to thoroughly express themselves without the baggage of some terms. Personally, I would have been quite happy to be labeled as something than inferred I want everyone in Finland to die. So I don't know where wrnative is getting self righteous about right vs left when he is willing to slander me. Or to label me as pro Putin. Both obviously not true yet he doesn't follow his own logic here.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
The problem is that you use it without any objective discussion of the issues.

E.g., you dismiss criticisms of Trump as those of "lefties" when many conservatives are among his harshest critics. Is John Kasich a "lefty?"

My impression is that you and others resort to labels because they either can't, or are too lazy, to discuss topics based on objective facts.

Also, it's really ego boost for weak-minded individuals to simply dismiss others with a label.
Agree with all of this. Would like to see it equally applied.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I understand not labeling but words still have meanings. Left and right wing, while not perfect terms, do a good job of painting a very general picture of ideology. Certainly, one should be permitted to thoroughly express themselves without the baggage of some terms. Personally, I would have been quite happy to be labeled as something than inferred I want everyone in Finland to die. So I don't know where wrnative is getting self righteous about right vs left when he is willing to slander me. Or to label me as pro Putin. Both obviously not true yet he doesn't follow his own logic here.
You mean libel (written comment), not slander (oral comment), and there is no actionable libel for a truthful statement.

Again read post 112.

Your comment about not being bothered by tanks rolling through Helsinki was inexcusable IMO, as I've repeatedly stated. Your equivocation about Putin's actions in Crimea and the rest of the Ukraine also are on the record. Despite the use of military force and a sham election to annex Crimea, despite the invasion of eastern Ukraine, you clearly said that Putin and the Russians were not belligerent.

I never said that you wanted Finland to die, but you were the one who clearly stated that it wouldn't bother you much if it was invaded by Russia.

In the context of your similar statements about your indifference to the fates of NATO members (you don't want American to die defending them) if attacked by Russia, I certainly didn't misunderstand your comment about Finland, nor, in that context, does it sound like poorly chosen hyperbole as you subsequently claimed.

Your claim of misrepresentation/misinterpretation when someone disagrees and takes offense with your expressly stated opinions is so very Trump-like.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
You mean libel (written comment), not slander (oral comment), and there is no actionable libel for a truthful statement.

Again read post 112.

Your comment about not being bothered by tanks rolling through Helsinki was inexcusable IMO, as I've repeatedly stated. Your equivocation about Putin's actions in Crimea and the rest of the Ukraine also are on the record. Despite the use of military force and a sham election to annex Crimea, despite the invasion of eastern Ukraine, you clearly said that Putin and the Russians were not belligerent.

I never said that you wanted Finland to die, but you were the one who clearly stated that it wouldn't bother you much if it was invaded by Russia.

In the context of your similar statements about your indifference to the fates of NATO members (you don't want American to die defending them) if attacked by Russia, I certainly didn't misunderstand your comment about Finland, nor, in that context, does it sound like poorly chosen hyperbole as you subsequently claimed.

Your claim of misrepresentation/misinterpretation when someone disagrees and takes offense with your expressly stated opinions is so very Trump-like.
Not what I said. I said its more likely that putin invades chechya than Helsinki. Once again. You have completely misunderstood this. Go read it again. If it's trump like to defend yourself against false statements then fine. Can you please read the original post again?

Really unbelievable. Thought i cleared this up with you on private message. I have literally no idea what to say. Some men you just can't reach.

By the way, I'll be sure to correct your grammar and word choice going forward. Lord knows there is quite a lot to work with. I'm sure that won't be annoying at all.

I think you meant "Americans " (see differerence singular vs plural).

Also if you were at all cosmopolitan you'd know that "the Ukraine" is not the accepted terminology. It's very retro, much like calling Asians "orientals." Ukrainians are pretty adamant about this too. You'd know this if you had any idea about this region or if you started reading about it at any time in the last 10 years before last month. In Russian, the debate is about "na" Ukrain vs "v" Ukrain. The way you represent Ukraine with "the" actually refers to the sovereign country as merely a border of Russia. The more you know! Look it up.

It helps to know what you're talking about.
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-u...rs-now-2013-12

This is blatant ignorance from an American trying to pass himself off as knowledgeable. Candidly, that is sickening and I will never forget it. This shows complete lack of concern for the good of Ukraine and its people. Appalling.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:54 PM

Once again the above is hyperbole to make a point. Though it is quite telling and frankly very funny that someone who challenges my knowledge of Slavic countries makes literally the most noobish mistake imaginable when speaking of Ukraine. I bet Putin would support calling it "the Ukraine."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland