Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 01:54 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Same Democratic-left propaganda. As if the ''Republican Toll Road'' and Kasich & Co. are to blame for Cleveland's 60+ year decline.
Once again, your ignorance is profound IMO. Do you actually support the leveraging of the Ohio Turnpike by Ohio Republicans, let alone the long-term lease of the Indiana Toll Road by Indiana Republicans? If so, please explain why.

"Democratic, left-wing propaganda?" I wish it were, because I've never heard a single Democrat talk about the "Republican Toll Road." Please provide me a single example of one who has done so, as I would cut a campaign contribution check immediately, as should anybody who cares about the economic future of Cleveland. Candidly, I've never heard anybody talk about the Republican Toll Road, except in this forum. And believe me, I'm no leftist, except perhaps in the minds of partisan ideologues such as yourself who prefer labels to reasoned debate.

No self-proclaimed conservative should support or tolerate a hidden tax levied only on a selective part of a political entity. And the massive toll increases legislated into the creation of the Republican Toll Road are undeniably a hidden tax on the Cleveland and northern Ohio economy.

Yes, most Ohio and Indiana Democrats, to their great credit, and a few Republicans (such as our Gary Suhadolnik from Strongsville), objected vehemently to the creation of the Republican Toll Road. Yet some Democrats, such as Mayor Jackson, desperate to have the Innerbelt bridges replaced at almost any cost, supported the Turnpike leveraging.

<<“This is highway robbery,” Gary Suhadolnik, who ran the commission from 2003 to 2008, said by telephone. “It makes no sense to me why people who are paying their own way through a toll should now have to pay, in effect, a surcharge -- higher toll rates -- to pay to improve someone else’s road.”>>

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ds-muni-credit

Please explain why Suhadolnik was wrong. Please.

Note how Goldman Sachs reportedly pocketed $20 million in fees for acting as the investment bank for the Indiana Toll Road.

<<Similar to the Chicago Skyway transaction in 2004, on June 29, 2006, Indiana received $3.8 billion in an auction from a consortium made up of the Spanish construction firm Cintra and the Macquarie Atlas Roads (MQA) of Australia in exchange for the right to maintain, operate and collect tolls for the following 75 years.[8] The two companies formed the Indiana Toll Road Concession Company to operate the road. Goldman Sachs & Co. was reported to have earned some $20 million in fees for putting together the ITR transaction.[9] Mark Florian, who worked on both toll road deals, was subsequently named third-in-charge and chief operating officer of a newly structured municipal finance and infrastructure group at Goldman. Florian was to move from Chicago to the New York office.>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Toll_Road

It's likely that the investment bank underwriting take was much greater on the $1 billion of bonds already issued against future Ohio Turnpike fare increases. I've never heard a single Democrat quantify the underwriting fees paid Wall Street on the Ohio Turnpike bonds. What were they? Do you approve?

The leveraging of the Ohio Turnpike is just another Ohio Republican "privatization" scheme to benefit political supporters, such as the charter school scandal. A similar Republican scam in Ohio is the secretive Kasich Jobs Ohio program.

No Ohio politician, Democrat or Republican, seems aware of the massive negative impact on the northern Ohio economy of the 75-year lease of the Indiana Toll Road, and the substantial toll increases locked into that stretch of interstate for many future decades. Northern Ohio can be protected against the policy of Indiana Republicans such as Mike Pence, a champion of the Indiana Toll Road lease, only by Congressional action. Arguably for a northern Ohioan to support Pence as the nation's VP therefore is a form of economic suicide.

Both nationally and in Ohio, allegedly due to their "no new tax pledges," Republicans refuse to raise gasoline taxes, despite the collapse in collections in inflation-adjusted terms, partially due to increased fleet fuel efficiency, and despite the general decay of the nation's highway infrastructure.

Do you actually believe having the most expensive, long stretch of interstate in the nation will be beneficial for the northern Ohio economy? You don't think it will be immensely detrimental when manufacturers are deciding whether to locate in, or leave northern Ohio? Get real, dude. You like what is happening to tolls on the Indiana Toll Road, or similar rate increases legislated into the Ohio Turnpike by Kasich and the Republicans?

Ratings agency says go slow on Indiana toll hikes | Transportation | nwitimes.com

https://ourfuture.org/20150403/india...ighway-to-hell

As for Cleveland's long-term economic decline, both the Republicans and the Democrats are responsible due to the massive, and generally not-worth-the-cost expenditures of trillions and the cost in blood and injuries to those called to service in foolish world policing actions from Vietnam forward to today.

Also, the stature of the United States as the only major economy not part of the global Value-Added Tax regime, has rendered Ohio manufacturers non-competitive against the likes of even Canada and Mexico, which levy VAT taxes on American imports while also legally under GATT rules rebating VAT taxes effectively subsidizing their manufacturing exports to America. Most Republican and Democratic politicians can't speak intelligently about the global VAT tax regime, even if they understand its nefarious impacts on the American economy.

One of the best explanations of the nefarious impact of the global VAT tax regime on the American economy has come from Lawrence Lindsey, the one-time chief economic adviser to George W. Bush.

Lindsey, Lawrence B., Testimony before the Senate Budget Committee, 02/02/11 | VAT (Value Added Tax) Information | VATINFO.org

Your partisan ideology taints even your apparently limited understanding of economics. Have your ever taken even Econ. 101? I doubt it if you're championing the Republican Toll Road.

Quote:
Subprime lending went on across the country; even people like Sen Dodd and Obama were involved in shady real estate deals.
What were Obama's shady real estate deals? The only thing that I can think of are the machinations involved in the purchase of his Chicago home. Now, let's talk about Donald Trump and his numerous bankruptcies which he proudly claims enriched him at the expense of his creditors. And apparently you want to put the perpetrator of Trump University in the White House?

Judge Curiel denies Trump U motion to dismiss case - CNNPolitics.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_University

(No, I'm not a fan of the Clintons either.)

The chief enabler of the sub-prime mortgage industry was one-time Repubican Party icon Alan Greenspan.

Forbes Welcome

Do you forget that Greenspan, George W. Bush and his Republican allies tolerated the 30-1 leveraging of major American financial institutions, leaving them helpless when losses mounted with the unprecedented collapse since the Great Depression of the American housing market?

As for Democratic Party corruption, you somehow look the other way when the likes of Jobs Ohio is mentioned. IF we knew the beneficiaries of that program, which we don't know because of secrecy policies championed by Kasich and the Republicans, we very well might see the biggest transfer of public funds to private hands, with little corresponding economic benefit, in the history of Ohio.

Do you like the JobsOhio program, partially responsible for the slashing of local government funds, and the rise of real estate taxes in Greater Cleveland?

How can you ignore the stink of Republican policies in Ohio???

Latest efforts to weaken Ohio charter school reforms trace, again, to campaign dollars: Brent Larkin | cleveland.com

Last edited by WRnative; 07-25-2016 at 03:14 AM..

Old 07-25-2016, 08:10 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Once again, your ignorance is profound IMO. Do you actually support the leveraging of the Ohio Turnpike by Ohio Republicans, let alone the long-term lease of the Indiana Toll Road by Indiana Republicans? If so, please explain why.

"Democratic, left-wing propaganda?" I wish it were, because I've never heard a single Democrat talk about the "Republican Toll Road." Please provide me a single example of one who has done so, as I would cut a campaign contribution check immediately, as should anybody who cares about the economic future of Cleveland. Candidly, I've never heard anybody talk about the Republican Toll Road, except in this forum. And believe me, I'm no leftist, except perhaps in the minds of partisan ideologues such as yourself who prefer labels to reasoned debate.

No self-proclaimed conservative should support or tolerate a hidden tax levied only on a selective part of a political entity. And the massive toll increases legislated into the creation of the Republican Toll Road are undeniably a hidden tax on the Cleveland and northern Ohio economy.

Yes, most Ohio and Indiana Democrats, to their great credit, and a few Republicans (such as our Gary Suhadolnik from Strongsville), objected vehemently to the creation of the Republican Toll Road. Yet some Democrats, such as Mayor Jackson, desperate to have the Innerbelt bridges replaced at almost any cost, supported the Turnpike leveraging.

<<“This is highway robbery,” Gary Suhadolnik, who ran the commission from 2003 to 2008, said by telephone. “It makes no sense to me why people who are paying their own way through a toll should now have to pay, in effect, a surcharge -- higher toll rates -- to pay to improve someone else’s road.”>>

Kasich Siphons Ohio Turnpike Cash at Lowest Yields: Muni Credit - Bloomberg

Please explain why Suhadolnik was wrong. Please.

Note how Goldman Sachs reportedly pocketed $20 million in fees for acting as the investment bank for the Indiana Toll Road.

<<Similar to the Chicago Skyway transaction in 2004, on June 29, 2006, Indiana received $3.8 billion in an auction from a consortium made up of the Spanish construction firm Cintra and the Macquarie Atlas Roads (MQA) of Australia in exchange for the right to maintain, operate and collect tolls for the following 75 years.[8] The two companies formed the Indiana Toll Road Concession Company to operate the road. Goldman Sachs & Co. was reported to have earned some $20 million in fees for putting together the ITR transaction.[9] Mark Florian, who worked on both toll road deals, was subsequently named third-in-charge and chief operating officer of a newly structured municipal finance and infrastructure group at Goldman. Florian was to move from Chicago to the New York office.>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Toll_Road

It's likely that the investment bank underwriting take was much greater on the $1 billion of bonds already issued against future Ohio Turnpike fare increases. I've never heard a single Democrat quantify the underwriting fees paid Wall Street on the Ohio Turnpike bonds. What were they? Do you approve?

The leveraging of the Ohio Turnpike is just another Ohio Republican "privatization" scheme to benefit political supporters, such as the charter school scandal. A similar Republican scam in Ohio is the secretive Kasich Jobs Ohio program.

No Ohio politician, Democrat or Republican, seems aware of the massive negative impact on the northern Ohio economy of the 75-year lease of the Indiana Toll Road, and the substantial toll increases locked into that stretch of interstate for many future decades. Northern Ohio can be protected against the policy of Indiana Republicans such as Mike Pence, a champion of the Indiana Toll Road lease, only by Congressional action. Arguably for a northern Ohioan to support Pence as the nation's VP therefore is a form of economic suicide.

Both nationally and in Ohio, allegedly due to their "no new tax pledges," Republicans refuse to raise gasoline taxes, despite the collapse in collections in inflation-adjusted terms, partially due to increased fleet fuel efficiency, and despite the general decay of the nation's highway infrastructure.

Do you actually believe having the most expensive, long stretch of interstate in the nation will be beneficial for the northern Ohio economy? You don't think it will be immensely detrimental when manufacturers are deciding whether to locate in, or leave northern Ohio? Get real, dude. You like what is happening to tolls on the Indiana Toll Road, or similar rate increases legislated into the Ohio Turnpike by Kasich and the Republicans?

Ratings agency says go slow on Indiana toll hikes | Transportation | nwitimes.com

https://ourfuture.org/20150403/india...ighway-to-hell

As for Cleveland's long-term economic decline, both the Republicans and the Democrats are responsible due to the massive, and generally not-worth-the-cost expenditures of trillions and the cost in blood and injuries to those called to service in foolish world policing actions from Vietnam forward to today.

Also, the stature of the United States as the only major economy not part of the global Value-Added Tax regime, has rendered Ohio manufacturers non-competitive against the likes of even Canada and Mexico, which levy VAT taxes on American imports while also legally under GATT rules rebating VAT taxes effectively subsidizing their manufacturing exports to America. Most Republican and Democratic politicians can't speak intelligently about the global VAT tax regime, even if they understand its nefarious impacts on the American economy.

One of the best explanations of the nefarious impact of the global VAT tax regime on the American economy has come from Lawrence Lindsey, the one-time chief economic adviser to George W. Bush.

Lindsey, Lawrence B., Testimony before the Senate Budget Committee, 02/02/11 | VAT (Value Added Tax) Information | VATINFO.org

Your partisan ideology taints even your apparently limited understanding of economics. Have your ever taken even Econ. 101? I doubt it if you're championing the Republican Toll Road.

What were Obama's shady real estate deals? The only thing that I can think of are the machinations involved in the purchase of his Chicago home. Now, let's talk about Donald Trump and his numerous bankruptcies which he proudly claims enriched him at the expense of his creditors. And apparently you want to put the perpetrator of Trump University in the White House?

Judge Curiel denies Trump U motion to dismiss case - CNNPolitics.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_University

(No, I'm not a fan of the Clintons either.)

The chief enabler of the sub-prime mortgage industry was one-time Repubican Party icon Alan Greenspan.

Forbes Welcome

Do you forget that Greenspan, George W. Bush and his Republican allies tolerated the 30-1 leveraging of major American financial institutions, leaving them helpless when losses mounted with the unprecedented collapse since the Great Depression of the American housing market?

As for Democratic Party corruption, you somehow look the other way when the likes of Jobs Ohio is mentioned. IF we knew the beneficiaries of that program, which we don't know because of secrecy policies championed by Kasich and the Republicans, we very well might see the biggest transfer of public funds to private hands, with little corresponding economic benefit, in the history of Ohio.

Do you like the JobsOhio program, partially responsible for the slashing of local government funds, and the rise of real estate taxes in Greater Cleveland?

How can you ignore the stink of Republican policies in Ohio???

Latest efforts to weaken Ohio charter school reforms trace, again, to campaign dollars: Brent Larkin | cleveland.com

Anyway, no I don't support the Republican Toll Road but its not what has and is causing Cleveland/NEO economic woes. Vietnam is to blame?...ok, take care.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Anyway, no I don't support the Republican Toll Road but its not what has and is causing Cleveland/NEO economic woes. Vietnam is to blame?...ok, take care.
Well over $10 trillion of our federal debt can be attributed to our global military policing, inclusive of the Vietnam War and subsequently. Do you forget the massive inflation that occurred in the aftermath of the Vietnam War, and its pernicious impact on the Greater Cleveland economy? This includes our heightened military posture, such as maintaining 10 nuclear aircraft carrier task forces.

For decades, we've spent more on our military than all of our NATO and Asian allies combined.

Imagine if that money had been spent instead on our human and physical capital.

Since 1980, we've digressed from the world's greatest creditor nation to the world's greatest debtor nation, as our economy and lower taxing effort in the aftermath of the "Reagan revolution" can't support our military spending. George W. Bush and the Republicans actually cut taxes while fighting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, resulting in over $1 trillion deficits (on a cash basis; if corporate GAAP accounting were used, the deficits were much larger as the federal government doesn't accrue for the likes of promised pensions and veteran health benefits, let alone Social Security and Medicare). This year, the cash deficit will be over $600 billion, and we have Donald Trump as a Presidential candidate who wants to borrow more to fulfill his promises and then restructure the federal debt.

Even Donald Trump expresses to some degree the American people's frustration with our world policing when he eviscerated Jeb Bush for supporting his brother's Iraq War and when he attacks our NATO allies for their lack of military spending.

What made America great from the Civil War to World War I was our rather minimal military expenditures compared to the European powers.

The greatest myth in America is that military spending is a path to prosperity. And the Piper will be paid for all of our accumulated military spending in coming years.

Last edited by WRnative; 07-25-2016 at 08:37 AM..

Old 07-25-2016, 08:28 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:

The greatest myth in America is that military spending is a path to prosperity.
Wait, so you don't actually benefit if I throw a brick through your window??? Blasphemy!

Old 07-25-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Wait, so you don't actually benefit if I throw a brick through your window??? Blasphemy!
Our analogy is more do you benefit when you throw a brick through a neighbor's window, and then pay to replace it (nation building).

Old 07-25-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Anyway, no I don't support the Republican Toll Road but its not what has and is causing Cleveland/NEO economic woes.
Please explain how the Cleveland manufacturing won't suffer when it has imposed on it the highest cost major trucking corridor in the U.S.?

I once heard Ned Hill, a respected economist, Ohio State prof, and former dean of the Levin College of Urban Affairs at Cleveland State, explain how our region's robust trucking economy had migrated south to the free I-70 corridor after its construction.

He said that higher Turnpike tolls would preclude projects such as Lordstown from being constructed, given their dependence on just-in-time shipments.

What's pathetic in Greater Cleveland today is how our pathetic, Kasich-loving NEOMG media powerhouse hasn't once to my knowledge investigated the pernicious economic impact of the Republican Toll Road.

Of course, for anybody who understands economics, such as Suhadolink, the consequences are patently obvious.

Once again, please explain how mounting relative transportation costs isn't a destructive negative impact on our economy.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:42 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Please explain how the Cleveland manufacturing won't suffer when it has imposed on it the highest cost major trucking corridor in the U.S.?

I once heard Ned Hill, a respected economist, Ohio State prof, and former dean of the Levin College of Urban Affairs at Cleveland State, explain how our region's robust trucking economy had migrated south to the free I-70 corridor after its construction.

He said that higher Turnpike tolls would preclude projects such as Lordstown from being constructed, given their dependence on just-in-time shipments.

What's pathetic in Greater Cleveland today is how our pathetic, Kasich-loving NEOMG media powerhouse hasn't once to my knowledge investigated the pernicious economic impact of the Republican Toll Road.

Of course, for anybody who understands economics, such as Suhadolink, the consequences are patently obvious.

Once again, please explain how mounting relative transportation costs isn't a destructive negative impact on our economy.
Umm...didn't say the Republican Toll Road is not hurting CLE/NEO economy.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:43 AM

Default Before and after impressions

Cleveland should get a viral lift in its national image if these reports are accurate.

Cleveland RNC visitors before & after: They didn't want to come, now can't wait to return (photos) | cleveland.com

Old 07-26-2016, 06:43 AM

869 posts, read 1,277,338 times
Experts say Cleveland can expect more business in future thanks to RNC | fox8.com

First Person: reflecting on a successful RNC in Cleveland

Old 07-26-2016, 06:56 AM

Default Block Party

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...party-instead/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland