Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:42 AM

59 posts, read 220,686 times

Advertisements

Here's the difference between Columbus, Indianapolis and Cleveland. The land that Columbus and Indianapolis have been annexing aren't corporated muncipalities. The areas those two cities are annexing have limited power to fight if the city wants to take them over.

In Cuyahoga County, though, the city of Cleveland has about zero power to annex because nearly every suburb in Cuyahoga County is a municipality. As far as I'm aware, the only township in Cuyahoga is Olmsted Township (maybe there is one or two on the east side, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that there is none that would qualify for annexation).

Technically, I believe the city could attempt to annex a portion of land in Olmsted Twp. because I believe it borders the city via the airport, but I doubt commissioners would grant it because there are still some annexation stipulations that would probably win out in that case. ... Off the top of my head, commissioners would rule that annexing land that far away from the rest of the city would limit safety services. For example, that area would be serviced by the 1st police district. It would take the city way too long to get out there, plus if the city had to service that area it would spread an already thin police department thinner. Another muncipality like Berea, North Olmsted or Olmsted Falls, however, could probably annex a part of that land if they wanted. I say a part because under state law, a city can only attempt to annex so much land at one time. A city can't just try to take over an entire township.

Personally, I think regionalism is the best way for Cuyahoga County to get off the mat, but unfortunately, the city of Cleveland is powerless to make that happen. And so far, the suburbs don't want to join the city.

The city of Cleveland is the perfect example of a city being suffocated by its surrounding suburbs. People from Westlake, Strongsville, Euclid, etc. say they are from "Cleveland" when they are out of town, but once they get back, they don't want anything to do with the city. That's a shame.

I will add this, under regionlism, the school district boundaries would stay the same, but the suburbs, in essence, would have to share the property taxes with others in the region ... AKA a JEDD (Joint Economic Development District).

Basically, plain-cut annexation is out of the question, a JEDD isn't. But the problem is convincing the suburbs that a JEDD is worth while.

Last edited by TheCLE; 04-15-2008 at 02:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 01:12 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,276 times
Cleveland17....wow. I was just saying this as an idea to make the city of Cleveland better. Its a very small chance that Cleveland will be able to annex any of the suburbs seeing that they are all already a municipality. Calm down man. The only cities/suburbs I can maybe see Cleveland annex anytime soon is East Cleveland, and maybe Newburgh Heights.

Also I took a map and stats and decided which cities could be merged with Cleveland. I live in North Ridgeville (I grew up in Lorain and Elyria), North Ridgeville and all of Lorain county is way too far away to be annexed by Cleveland, not to mention its in a Seperate county. Also I would have no problem living in Cleveland, I was planning on MOVING and LIVING in the city of Cleveland. Lets not forget all those suburbs wouldnt even be there if it wasnt for Cleveland.

calm down Cleveland17, it was just an idea.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:58 AM

24 posts, read 102,937 times
Most of those towns would virtually go to war over that idea. Especially Cuyahoga Heights, because presumably you'd also be merging school districts.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Rocc View Post
Most of those towns would virtually go to war over that idea. Especially Cuyahoga Heights, because presumably you'd also be merging school districts.
Cuyahoga Heights? are we talking about the same place here? Cuyahoga Heights is mostly made up of factories and industrial areas, there is hardly any people living there. I think maybe you mean Shaker Heights or Cleveland Heights...

Old 04-17-2008, 06:25 PM

422 posts, read 758,421 times
In Ohio cities can't just annex suburbs. It's hard enough for them to annex unincorporated land. Cleveland doesn't border much unincorporated land, and even if it did - like Toledo - it would find it hard to annex it because the residents in those areas probably don't want Cleveland's high taxes and mediocre services. Don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing Cleveland in particular. But it's no big surprise that most of Ohio's central cities just don't have school, police, and fire services that are as good as their suburban neighbors, while their taxes tend to be higher. Also it needs to be said that many of Ohio's unincorporated suburban lands don't even want suburban towns to annex them.

Columbus annexes a lot because it didn't let suburbs box it in, and it's actually run reasonably well even compared to the suburban communities.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:58 PM

Yeah, it would be exceptionally hard to annex any of the suburbs. Also, thats not even considering all of the possible bad side effects that they would suffer if merged with Cleveland.

Cleveland is completely surrounded for miles with incorporated cities/suburbs so there is no chance of it annexing unincorporated land. The only cities I could see being annexed any time soon are East Cleveland (because of the poor services and the general state of the city), Newburgh Heights (its so small, I doubt it would change any), Cuyahoga Hts (mostly industrial, wouldnt change much), and Brooklyn Hts (same).

Old 04-17-2008, 11:25 PM

124 posts, read 713,493 times
I agree with E Rocc, the residents of Cuyahoga Heights would throw a fit if anyone suggested annexation. While the population may not be large, the town is not nearly all industry. They've got a highly rated school system and a close knit community that has seen what has happened to the Cleveland neighborhoods that were once similar to Cuyahoga Heights. If Cuyahoga Heights was annexed and they lost their school system the place would become a ghost town.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:14 AM

59 posts, read 220,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve36 View Post
I agree with E Rocc, the residents of Cuyahoga Heights would throw a fit if anyone suggested annexation. While the population may not be large, the town is not nearly all industry. They've got a highly rated school system and a close knit community that has seen what has happened to the Cleveland neighborhoods that were once similar to Cuyahoga Heights. If Cuyahoga Heights was annexed and they lost their school system the place would become a ghost town.
I agree Cleveland can't and won't annex, Cuyahoga Heights. But it has nothing to do with industry or school district.

For one, Cleveland can't annex Cuyahoga Heights because it is a municipality. Second, even if the city could annex it, it would not affect the school district at all. School districts are not affected by annexation.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:23 AM

302 posts, read 1,100,853 times
you also forgot to mention that Brooklyn Heights and Valley View wouldn't want their High School to be lost inside Cleveland, plus the people of Cuyahoga Heights don't want their city to look like whats 5 minutes up the road.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:45 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Cleveland17....wow. I was just saying this as an idea to make the city of Cleveland better. Its a very small chance that Cleveland will be able to annex any of the suburbs seeing that they are all already a municipality. Calm down man. The only cities/suburbs I can maybe see Cleveland annex anytime soon is East Cleveland, and maybe Newburgh Heights.

Also I took a map and stats and decided which cities could be merged with Cleveland. I live in North Ridgeville (I grew up in Lorain and Elyria), North Ridgeville and all of Lorain county is way too far away to be annexed by Cleveland, not to mention its in a Seperate county. Also I would have no problem living in Cleveland, I was planning on MOVING and LIVING in the city of Cleveland. Lets not forget all those suburbs wouldnt even be there if it wasnt for Cleveland.

calm down Cleveland17, it was just an idea.

a) It wouldn't make Cleveland any better, just make the areas that were annexed worse as people would flood out of them.

b) The fact that you live in a separate county is irrelevant. Columbus spans across three county lines.

c) You're right, but neither would most any suburbs, not just the ones you decided should be annexed.

d) I know it was "just an idea," but it's not an original one. We hear it all the time and oddly enough it's always coming from people who live elsewhere. It's bad enough when it comes from people who live within the city limits of Cleveland, but even worse when it comes from somewhere living in some sterile exurb who wouldn't be affected by the changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland