Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 10:54 PM

6 posts, read 5,517 times

Advertisements

i'll throw a update on here. i went out there and spent a few hours in some of the stores around the people. i realize its hard to get a 100% accurate report on a place i only spent a few hours in but i can say i got good vibes from the area. first thing i saw was a older black guy holding hands with a white woman both nicely dressed and happy. i didnt come across any *******s. everyone seemed really nice. i spent a fair amount of time in a local store ran by older people and got good vibes from them. if there is racism there i didnt see it. honestly imo if i was black myself and i wanted to move to a safe area and had odd feelings about whites being judgemental i would move to oberlin because imo it seemed each side wasnt judegemental. seemed like a neutral nice area. it wasnt ran down.

today i went to niles and i had a total opposite vibe. i was wondering how a city like niles would be since it has the crime of warren and youngstown next to it. i felt like i drove into a city that was in a losing battle. 10 minutes south or 10 minutes north you see a drastic change in high uncut grass and abandoned businesses and buildings. its like niles was being swallowed by overlapping crime. campbell to. i saw bikes on the grass which indicate less theft. and people trying to hold their neighborhood together. but for how long? def not a place i would risk on making my permanent stay. while on the other hand oberlin i said to myself i think this will be nice at least until i die
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 12:57 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
The college towns of Ohio are (for the most part) the gems of the state. The housing stock is nicer & more desirable, there’s more cultural & ideological diversity, and in general have more life to them than the emptying Rust Belt towns. And Oberlin being a nationally famous liberal arts school, what you experienced shouldn’t be a surprise.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:07 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisisaNNZ View Post
i'll throw a update on here. i went out there and spent a few hours in some of the stores around the people. i realize its hard to get a 100% accurate report on a place i only spent a few hours in but i can say i got good vibes from the area. first thing i saw was a older black guy holding hands with a white woman both nicely dressed and happy. i didnt come across any *******s. everyone seemed really nice. i spent a fair amount of time in a local store ran by older people and got good vibes from them. if there is racism there i didnt see it. honestly imo if i was black myself and i wanted to move to a safe area and had odd feelings about whites being judgemental i would move to oberlin because imo it seemed each side wasnt judegemental. seemed like a neutral nice area. it wasnt ran down.

today i went to niles and i had a total opposite vibe. i was wondering how a city like niles would be since it has the crime of warren and youngstown next to it. i felt like i drove into a city that was in a losing battle. 10 minutes south or 10 minutes north you see a drastic change in high uncut grass and abandoned businesses and buildings. its like niles was being swallowed by overlapping crime. campbell to. i saw bikes on the grass which indicate less theft. and people trying to hold their neighborhood together. but for how long? def not a place i would risk on making my permanent stay. while on the other hand oberlin i said to myself i think this will be nice at least until i die
Hmm not sure I really get those vibes in Niles to be honest. It is a very middle class place with real people living there. Oberlin is just propped up by a lot of higher education funny money that it doesn't deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland