Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 01:49 PM

816 posts, read 1,395,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
It's a contentious topic in the Cudell/Edgewater area, believe me.

I bought a vacant house on W100 closer to Madison. We've actually had, essentially, zero crime in the past year in my section. Like you said, the area is very much experiencing levels of crime in distinct pockets, so they've had a lot of issues on W89th near the West Tech Lofts. However, West Tech is now managed by some very good people and the manager is working aggressively to engage with the community and address issues in the neighborhood. With the Willard School expanding there's also more of a focus on that section, and DSCDO is working to renovate housing stock a few blocks over on Colgate, so there is some change happening.

I'm less aware of issues in the West Blvd section south of Lorain and the Jefferson area over around the Variety Theater.
That is good to hear about some people actually trying to make a difference over in Cudell. I was interested in those West Tech Lofts and was even considering moving there, but there are plenty of horrible reviews about those apartments and many of them mentioned the bad management and the crime around there.

The Jefferson area really is a mixed bag. There have been something crazy like 5 or 6 shootings around there in the past week. It's by no means Mayberry, but also not the worst. Pretty much just average Cleveland, I'd say. But in terms of any CDC activity, I am also not very sure myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 01:55 PM

378 posts, read 341,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
That is good to hear about some people actually trying to make a difference over in Cudell. I was interested in those West Tech Lofts and was even considering moving there, but there are plenty of horrible reviews about those apartments and many of them mentioned the bad management and the crime around there.
They were actually sold to a new company which accounts for the drastic shift. The former owners didn't really do much in terms of anything, even building maintenance, so the new owners had to do a fair amount. I was inside for a safety meeting with Matt Zone, Anita Brindza and Christopher Brown from Cudell Improvement, and an officer from the First District (I think?) and the building was looking really good.

I'd like to see the incomplete infill around the building be completed. However, according to Anita from Cudell Improvement, the land is privately owned and therefore no one can make them develop it. I don't think it's as severe as the situation with the Chicle building and the incomplete townhouses on Detroit (I was told the builder of the Chicle Estate fled the country so there's a lien on the property). I'd say it's pretty feasible, though, considering that the infill around St Lukes in Buckeye-Shaker is being completed.

Anita did also say that the burned/abandoned apartment building on Detroit across from the Rapid station is being sold to a "reputable party," so I'm interested to see what happens there. I wish someone would take that thing down along with the vacant Italian restaurant and put up a five-story apartment building. That would make a huge impact. If you could tie that in with making that intersection more pedestrian-friendly it would be amazing. The planning department is completing a TOD study of that area so we'll see what comes of it.

Last edited by j_ws; 02-27-2017 at 02:06 PM..

Old 02-28-2017, 11:53 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
The Clark/25th intersection is likely going to start developing pretty quickly. The powers in Clark-Fulton are pushing to really develop that area into La Villa Hispana and they're having success. CiCLEvia has been a great event and will continue to grow into something much more known. (ciCLEvia).
They've been trying for decades, so I'll believe it when I see it. Hope so.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
They've been trying for decades, so I'll believe it when I see it. Hope so.
I've seen that sentiment reflected a lot.

I think the biggest change is the fact that the CDC for Clark-Fulton is now part of DSCDO. So while MetroWest has it's own office it falls under the umbrella of the Detroit-Shoreway development powerhouse. I think that is creating a lot of momentum.

The building owners of some of the places right at the Clark/25th intersection have invested in renovations, too, which is a good sign.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:42 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
Inogen, a medical technology company, opening an office in former American Greetings' building | cleveland.com

Old 03-02-2017, 08:57 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.cleve...les_operat.amp

Thats 2 companies from California moving here within a week!

Old 03-02-2017, 09:14 AM

Awesome to see the second one coming right into the urban core.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:19 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.cleve...les_operat.amp

Thats 2 companies from California moving here within a week!
This is pretty cool!

Old 03-02-2017, 10:37 AM

WOIO : More passengers use Hopkins International Airport last year than in 2015

More good news

Old 03-02-2017, 11:26 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Anecdotally, flights from BOS Logan to CLE Hopkins are typically packed. I do feel like it's picked up compared to say 4 years ago for example. Spirit and JetBlue adding that route has been clutch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland