Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2017, 12:20 PM

840 posts, read 759,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
If you use Google Transit at the RTA home page, you can identify bus and rapid lines involved in a trip and then check the schedules for those lines at the RTA website. The rail and bus rapids, especially the Healthline, likely have the most robust schedules. So, if you can take a bus to a rail or bus rapid station, you likely will have fewer connection problems.
I have a mobile app on my phone and the connection problem is that just because I want to connect to another bus doesn't mean it will be there soon after I arrive at the connection point. It could mean waiting for up to 45 minutes at times. The Rapid and/or Healthline, although they do run more frequently, aren't always part of what I need to get where I'm going. And the Healthline is disgusting to ride...packed and dirty. I can only compare RTA with other systems I've ridden in other cities and say that while RTA looks like it should be fantastic due to many lines going many places, it really is a pain to use due to infrequent schedules. I realize service has been cut and apparently it will never be restored to its former glory which is a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 12:33 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
If you use Google Transit at the RTA home page, you can identify bus and rapid lines involved in a trip and then check the schedules for those lines at the RTA website. The rail and bus rapids, especially the Healthline, likely have the most robust schedules. So, if you can take a bus to a rail or bus rapid station, you likely will have fewer connection problems.
Is that what you do? Oh wait, you never use the RTA; you just have ''personal reasons'' for parking availability at W150/Puritas and its access to I-71 living in Lake County....lol.

I don't think October2007 is interested in using the RTA much given its connection and ''other'' issues. Maybe she could move to Hough or Glenville so she now can connect easily on Superior Avenue in Public Square. Must be major culture shock, at least initially, having moved from Seattle and using the RTA, especially in Cleveland itself.

Seems like lots of RTA riders complain about connection issues; hmm, that issue is resolved at least for the 4 bus lines stopping in the middle of PS now...lol.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
I have a mobile app on my phone and the connection problem is that just because I want to connect to another bus doesn't mean it will be there soon after I arrive at the connection point. It could mean waiting for up to 45 minutes at times. The Rapid and/or Healthline, although they do run more frequently, aren't always part of what I need to get where I'm going. And the Healthline is disgusting to ride...packed and dirty. I can only compare RTA with other systems I've ridden in other cities and say that while RTA looks like it should be fantastic due to many lines going many places, it really is a pain to use due to infrequent schedules. I realize service has been cut and apparently it will never be restored to its former glory which is a shame.
Yes, the ''if it shows up on time or at all'' has been a long-term issue with the RTA. In the past, when rta workers were needed for fare collection you would get a response about the next train arrival with a ''whatever time it git here'', after the loud volume boom-box was turned down by the employee. Or the bus driver stopping to get her lunch, leaving us riders sitting on a running bus with the doors open as she walked across a parking lot to a fast food joint. We all missed our red line connection. Just a couple of many examples; granted, in the past, but there were more riders then than now, so it tells you something.

This mentality is deeply embedded in the RTA and it's a shame as well. Be leery of complaining about a driver and leaving any personal information.

The RTA looks great on paper though, I agree. Btw, the HealthLine opened in October 2008.

Heads-up: next Friday is St Patrick's Day. Do not use the rapid lines. If you happen to be downtown, the parade can be nice/fun but avoid Public Square later in the afternoon, after the parade and crowds leave. Here's some ''HealthLine riders'' attacking white people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P26ZhzkBhqY

Last edited by Kamms; 03-11-2017 at 01:34 PM..

Old 03-11-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Yes, the ''if it shows up on time or at all'' has been a long-term issue with the RTA. In the past, when rta workers were needed for fare collection you would get a response about the next train arrival with a ''whatever time it git here'' response, after the loud volume boom-box was turned down by the employee. Or the bus driver stopping to get her lunch, leaving us riders sitting on a running bus with the doors open as she walked across a parking lot to a fast food joint. We all missed our red line connection. Just a couple of many examples; granted, in the past, but there were more riders then than now, so it tells you something.

This mentality is deeply embedded in the RTA and it's a shame as well. Be leery of complaining about a driver and leaving any personal information.

The RTA looks great on paper though, I agree. Btw, the HealthLine opened in October 2008.

Heads-up: next Friday is St Patrick's Day. Do not use the rapid lines. If you happen to be downtown, the parade can be nice/fun but avoid Public Square later in the afternoon, after the parade and crowds leave. Here's some ''HealthLine riders'' attacking white people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P26ZhzkBhqY
Oh dear....guess I was a bit spoiled in Seattle (and Boston). Cleveland has the infrastructure in place but service is poor so yes, on paper it looks great but in practice it's frustrating. Thanks - I will probably avoid downtown on St. Patrick's Day as I don't like crowds in general.

Further observations: 1) even when there are plenty of seats there is usually someone standing at the front of the bus talking to the driver and impeding flow in/out, and 2) I wish drivers would actually pick up and drop off at the curb rather than in the middle of the street...my short legs and old knees have a hard time getting in and out as it's too high without the curb! : )

Old 03-11-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Oh dear....guess I was a bit spoiled in Seattle (and Boston). Cleveland has the infrastructure in place but service is poor so yes, on paper it looks great but in practice it's frustrating. Thanks - I will probably avoid downtown on St. Patrick's Day as I don't like crowds in general.

Further observations: 1) even when there are plenty of seats there is usually someone standing at the front of the bus talking to the driver and impeding flow in/out, and 2) I wish drivers would actually pick up and drop off at the curb rather than in the middle of the street...my short legs and old knees have a hard time getting in and out as it's too high without the curb! : )
I've noticed that as well about standing and talking to the driver on bus and rapid, with passengers having to maneuver around the person impeding the door. All this going on under the ''no unnecessary talking to operator'' sign.

As you've seen generally, it's not about the riders on the RTA and I know you know better than to ever complain directly to these people or drivers. I still say RTA is in a work-release program.

Please do not have such high expectations from an RTA driver about dropping seniors etc in the middle of the street and not at curbside (a basic concept in any bus system) when that means a little extra effort aka doing your job. During the World Series, the Red Line was full of out of towners etc, and our ''driver'' did not announce one stop heading to downtown from w 150th Street. Bet the firing rate at RTA is pretty low with its drivers' union focusing on the crisis of Superior Avenue being closed in Public Square.

Some people need statistical evidence to prove RTA is tanking while actual users and, mostly former users, know the real reason. Dropping a senior citizen with bad knees in the middle of the street is a disgrace. I'm sorry to hear that story. Where are the public protests with certain council members leading the way about your issue? Sorry to say, they don't care about it.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:25 PM

Well, to be fair, Seattle had its share of dysfunction too (although more frequent service was great) and I did sometimes complain to drivers but I guess I won't here! Over there passengers frequently had their pets sitting next to them on a seat, and there were many more people riding with very bad hygiene (lots of homeless there) and drivers could be unhelpful or even rude at times (I'm sure it's no picnic dealing with the public and being in bad traffic but they are paid very well). I could ask the driver here to lower the bus but hate to make a big production of getting off and on (I'm 60 but my knees aren't in the best shape and it's a big step up/down for short people). Anyway...I've always loved public transportation and being able to go without a car but maybe it's not possible anymore. I was just watching PBS and they are showing "Cleveland Memories" with footage of the old streetcars back in the 30s/40s! That looked great.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:28 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Grading public transit comes with pretty low standards. I've never experienced a system that was 90% comfortable, fast, expansive, and with friendly employees. If it's like that half the time, it's pretty good. I think this is an important caveat. I overall preferred the rta to mbta.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:38 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
...and you have a ''personal reason'' for wanting to know about parking at W 150th/Puritas due to access to I-71 being that you live in Lake County; don't throw credibility rocks when you live in a glass credibility house. Try using the RTA before questioning credibility. If anything, I said the parking lots were downsized, there's a hotel at the access ramp to I-71 there now. There is probably fewer than 600 spaces now. Maybe the parking problem there is all those overnight airport commuters..what a joke, indeed. Plus that location is great for parking if you work at the PNC processing center there. Care to point out any complaint-threads about the lack of parking at these west side stations?

Geez, if someone said there's no parking at w 150/Puritas, why did you ask? Was it Cavs parade day, St Patrick's Day or the Indians Opener? Perhaps a Browns game?

Ever find the Public Square bus discrimination lawsuit documents, or is that made up as well?
Another diatribe. And still no statement about whether the West 150th/Puritas free park 'n ride lot regularly fills up on weekdays. You don't know. I got it.

Last edited by WRnative; 03-11-2017 at 02:48 PM..

Old 03-11-2017, 02:47 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Persons that have complaints about RTA should fill out complaint forms.

Contact Us | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

Admittedly, I've done that in the past, and was never too pleased with the responses.

What I have never done, but which would be a good idea, is to send an e-mail to the RTA board if complaints aren't addressed adequately.

Board of Trustees | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

Old 03-11-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Grading public transit comes with pretty low standards. I've never experienced a system that was 90% comfortable, fast, expansive, and with friendly employees. If it's like that half the time, it's pretty good. I think this is an important caveat. I overall preferred the rta to mbta.
You're probably right. I remember moving from Boston to Seattle in 1989 and being AMAZED that there were posted schedules at most bus stops and that the buses actually arrived when it said they would. Drivers were polite and helpful (unlike in Boston). Things have changed, traffic is worse, people are more rude, lots of people listening to music w/o headphones blahblah...guess I'm getting old.

What I liked about MBTA is that you have a lot of working people/professionals riding much of the time. So are you moving back here or what? : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland