Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 01:35 PM

134 posts, read 125,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Yes, absolutely, SH is in our search area as well. Great neighborhoods...spending quite a bit of time there, actually.

We do like the lake proximity and overall vibe in Lakewood, though. We have it highest on our target list, in spite of the extra 20-30-min drive time.

Thanks!
We moved to Shaker 26 years ago from the east coast. If you have any questions about it, I'd be happy to help. Best to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 05:27 AM

469 posts, read 435,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
We moved to Shaker 26 years ago from the east coast. If you have any questions about it, I'd be happy to help. Best to you.
Thanks ship4u! Appreciate that.

Old 04-10-2021, 05:59 AM

55 posts, read 42,764 times
Lakewood has become the hood! there is a homeless shelter on lake Ave that takes in pedophiles, prostitutes, and all sorts of mentally ill basket cases. There have been carjackings and shootings every week, and the thefts have gotten so bad and commonplace that people on Edgewater, Clifton, and lake just leave their car doors unlocked! Last week people were getting robbed at gunpoint while in their car by people on atv’s on W117th street.

Our leadership is unwilling to take a stand, all our mayor talks about is “green space” “Racial equity” and “police doing neighborhood outreach, so no one feels threatened by their presence!” Thing is it’s not locals committing the crimes, it’s folks from Cleveland who come here because they know our police won’t do a damn thing.

Last year our old chief of police took early retirement after 4 members of our city council were caught at the BLM protest-Riots, Since then everything has gone to hell in a hand basket. @Sliderules99 While there isn’t nightly riots here like in Portland, the leadership is just as inept. Overall Shaker heights would be a Much better choice.

Last edited by Tess_Vantassel; 04-10-2021 at 06:14 AM..

Old 04-10-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess_Vantassel View Post
Lakewood has become the hood! there is a homeless shelter on lake Ave that takes in pedophiles, prostitutes, and all sorts of mentally ill basket cases. There have been carjackings and shootings every week, and the thefts have gotten so bad and commonplace that people on Edgewater, Clifton, and lake just leave their car doors unlocked! Last week people were getting robbed at gunpoint while in their car by people on atv’s on W117th street.

Our leadership is unwilling to take a stand, all our mayor talks about is “green space” “Racial equity” and “police doing neighborhood outreach, so no one feels threatened by their presence!” Thing is it’s not locals committing the crimes, it’s folks from Cleveland who come here because they know our police won’t do a damn thing.

Last year our old chief of police took early retirement after 4 members of our city council were caught at the BLM protest-Riots, Since then everything has gone to hell in a hand basket. @Sliderules99 While there isn’t nightly riots here like in Portland, the leadership is just as inept. Overall Shaker heights would be a Much better choice.
I appreciate the info and perspective. I check real time crime stats on SpotCrime. If I draw a North/South line from Pier W (Gold Coast) down through Madison Park in Lakewood, I don’t see much of any crime activity west of that line. (I do see troubling crime events to the east of that...). Our search area in Lakewood would likely be well to the west, probably west of Lakewood Park.

I am going to consciously avoid any debates on city leadership ineptitude comparisons between Lakewood and Portland, OR. I see no visual evidence in Lakewood that merits even a remote comparison to what I saw in Portland.

Again, thanks for the info and perspective, it is all helpful. And to be sure, SH is still a prime search area for us. I don’t want to further hijack the OP thread.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:51 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,456,843 times
Quote:
I appreciate the info and perspective. I check real time crime stats on SpotCrime. If I draw a North/South line from Pier W (Gold Coast) down through Madison Park in Lakewood, I don’t see much of any crime activity west of that line. (I do see troubling crime events to the east of that...). Our search area in Lakewood would likely be well to the west, probably west of Lakewood Park.

I am going to consciously avoid any debates on city leadership ineptitude comparisons between Lakewood and Portland, OR. I see no visual evidence in Lakewood that merits even a remote comparison to what I saw in Portland.

Again, thanks for the info and perspective, it is all helpful. And to be sure, SH is still a prime search area for us. I don’t want to further hijack the OP thread.

Your posts have contributed immeasurably to this thread. I doubt that the OP believes that you have hijacked this thread in any way, and probably is interested very much in your thought process as you continue to weigh very carefully the pros and cons of various Greater Cleveland landing spots.

I've had some thoughts in the back of my mind as I've considered your more recent attraction to Lakewood.

1) Living on the lake IMO, like too much of anything, becomes boring, and I lived directly on the lake for almost a decade. I would never now pay a premium to live directly on the lake, but that perhaps is just me. I do enjoy sunsets over the lake, but such sunset vistas often aren't available from every spot on the shore from Lake Erie; check this before making a purchasing decision. Watching Lake Erie freeze also is fascinating, with the steamy fog rising above the entire lake for several days. What I also especially like about living on the lake is the act of walking or jogging to a very nice lakefront park, and certainly Lakewood Park qualifies in that regard. If you enjoy swimming in the lake, be advised there is less risk of toxic algae blooms further east on the lake; hopefully, the Biden administration will deal with the outrageous livestock manure dumping in the Maumee River basin which largely is responsible for this environmental outrage. Surf swimming in Lake Erie is a great joy during the summer months when the lake temperature exceeds 70-75 degrees, but I now travel to a beach just to read in the morning or late evening.

2) As mentioned, a great attribute of Lakewood is its proximity to Edgewater Park and to the Rocky River Reservation, and to the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. Having said that, I prefer the more varied terrain on the east side, and living closer to the wild Lake Erie beaches at Mentor Lagoons Nature Preserve and at Lake Erie Bluffs of the Lake Metroparks, and to the Mentor Headlands Dunes beach area. I also enjoy Holden Arboretum and the Lake Erie Metroparks Farmpark (memberships required) as weekday hiking destinations. The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo often is much more crowded, especially on Mondays, during the summer. I enjoy the extra inches of snow on the east side.

3) Lakewood's proximity to Ohio City, especially the West Side Market and the surrounding Market District, is a great attribute. Ditto, for downtown's dining and entertainment districts (pro sports, Playhouse Square, comedy clubs, etc.). On the West Flats, check out the Improv Comedy Club and the Music Box Supper Club. Definitely visit the East Flats on a warm, summer, weekend evening, to capture its special vibe (which includes the only Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville in Ohio). However, as "The Prof" has frequently noted in his posts, it's great to take one of the rapid lines from the East Side (especially easy living near the Green and Blue Lines in Shaker Hts.) to downtown, the East Flats (Waterfront Line), and the Market District. The Flats water taxi now makes crossing the Cuyahoga River in the Flats more easy. Seniors could join a Cuyahoga River rowing club. River and lake kayaking are easy adventures throughout Greater Cleveland, but more interesting (and perhaps dangerous) on the Cuyahoga and in Cleveland Harbor.

A recommended excursion while renting is buy a couple RTA day passes online, and take a full day to explore Cleveland on a riding/walking tour. Take a rail rapid downtown (free parking). Perhaps go the East Flats and then cross a bridge and walk to the West Side Market. From the West Side Market, take the Red Line back to Tower City, or, better yet, walk across the Hope Memorial Bridge checking out the Guardians of Traffic, the Cleveland Skyline, and the Flats below. Take the Healthline bus rapid to University Circle/Little Italy and then a bus back to your rental home. Use Google Transit to plan your adventure.

3) Do you bike? With the opening of the Wendy Park Bridge, wonderful bike trails (also good for hiking) will grace the near West Side and downtown, much more interesting than those on the East Side. Check out the Red Line Greenway. If I lived on the near West Side, I would really step up my biking game, perhaps exploring the Towpath Trail on long day rides. All RTA buses carry bikes, as do rail rapids.

https://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/...-line-greenway

All RTA buses carry bikes, as do rapids (another advantage of living near a rail rapid station).

http://www.riderta.com/racknroll

Good luck!

Old 04-10-2021, 11:12 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,325,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess_Vantassel View Post

Where is this homeless shelter on Lake Avenue? Is that what became of the Hot in Cleveland house?

Seriously... I do recall that about 10-15 years ago there was a controversy over an apartment complex on Clifton that was being rented out by Lutheran Ministries and used as a halfway house to get homeless and/or ex-cons back on their feet. Some in the neighborhood complained that the residents were wandering around the area committing petty crimes... stealing bicycles, etc. Lakewood's then-mayor threatened to shut it down, but the Cuyahoga County court ruled no, you can't. (The landlord took the city to court, not Lutheran Ministries.) I don't know whether that complex is still being used for that purpose today or not.

Old 04-10-2021, 12:21 PM

55 posts, read 42,764 times
A nonprofit group Called “housing is a human right” has been renting rooms from the Days Inn, They specialize in finding rooms for “hard to place” homeless people. (Pedophiles, Addicts, and the Mentally ill) I understand Times are hard for the travel industry, but this isn’t a safe or acceptable situation. Especially Given the motels close proximity to the parks and schools.

Old 04-10-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Your posts have contributed immeasurably to this thread. I doubt that the OP believes that you have hijacked this thread in any way, and probably is interested very much in your thought process as you continue to weigh very carefully the pros and cons of various Greater Cleveland landing spots.

Good luck!
Thanks very much for your insights and links/resources, as always. You have truly been invaluable.

First, why the recent draw to Lakewood? I will spell out the attractive points from my own perspective, which no doubt will differ from others’ viewpoints.

- The tinge of hipster vibe and everything that goes with it. Examples...I play music and like vegan restaurants. While not unique to Lakewood, the concentration of establishments and like-minded individuals seems higher. This is NOT a “must have” on my list, but it is attractive. SH offers some element of this (Larchmere, etc), but advantage to Lakewood.
- The tempering effect of the lake. Cooler breeze which I assume will carry for a few more months. Just more pleasant. And as you also pointed, I assume the reverse happens in late fall/early winter. I realize this is fleeting/seasonal, but makes a difference as we’re not hot weather people.
- Pedestrian-friendly corridors on Detroit Ave. and Madison with business that I would patronize. Cafes, pubs, bakeries, local shops. Again, NOT unique to LW. But contrast to, say, Chagrin Falls with all the clothing boutiques and crafts shops that are not as useful to me, personally. Cedar-Lee and Coventry are nice also, but advantage to LW in my view.
- More relaxing driving experience when navigating the town. Clifton, Lake Ave., are relaxing drives with beautiful homes and no strip malls. Even Detroit Ave. and Madison are reasonably enjoyable, as I like the “happening” vibe of people in outdoor cafes and such in good weather. Contrast to, say, Warrensville Ctr Rd, Cedar Rd, Mayfield Rd with all the stop lights, exhaust fumes, noise, weaving. (This was one item I couldn’t put my finger on, until it hit me...)
- Convenience to Ohio City establishments and Downtown attractions. I would definitely leverage this.

Now, where I think the East Side has the advantage...again, for me personally...

- Much better nature preserves and outdoor offerings. You’ve mentioned most, so I won’t repeat. As unabashed nature snobs, this is important for my wife and me. True, West Side has Rocky River Reserve, a great asset, but you can’t escape the roars of jet take-offs from Hopkins, or the traffic drone of i480 from many of the trails. Bedford/Tinkers Gorge (one of our personal favorites...) is also more accessible for East Siders than West.
- Similar theme...IMO East Side has prettier topography and terrain, more seasonal beauty from what I’ve seen in Fall, Winter, and Spring. Looks like we agree.
- Better housing value and selection for our targeted pre-ww2 home stock in places like SH and CH, relative to LW and RR. And better lot sizes/privacy in general. The numbers don’t lie; we’re following this closely.
- Convenience to UC, Little Italy is a plus on the East Side.

OK, that’s my off-the-cuff take on things, having scouted all points from Oberlin to Wadsworth to Fairport Harbor non-stop for the past month. Maybe this will help someone, as relates to Lakewood vs. other spots (this thread in general). Strictly my opinions above..

WRnative, thanks again for your thoughts on living near lake, and the various links.

Cheers!

Old 04-12-2021, 03:03 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,456,843 times
Quote:
Thanks very much for your insights and links/resources, as always. You have truly been invaluable.

First, why the recent draw to Lakewood? I will spell out the attractive points from my own perspective, which no doubt will differ from others’ viewpoints.

- The tinge of hipster vibe and everything that goes with it. Examples...I play music and like vegan restaurants. While not unique to Lakewood, the concentration of establishments and like-minded individuals seems higher. This is NOT a “must have” on my list, but it is attractive. SH offers some element of this (Larchmere, etc), but advantage to Lakewood.
- The tempering effect of the lake. Cooler breeze which I assume will carry for a few more months. Just more pleasant. And as you also pointed, I assume the reverse happens in late fall/early winter. I realize this is fleeting/seasonal, but makes a difference as we’re not hot weather people.
- Pedestrian-friendly corridors on Detroit Ave. and Madison with business that I would patronize. Cafes, pubs, bakeries, local shops. Again, NOT unique to LW. But contrast to, say, Chagrin Falls with all the clothing boutiques and crafts shops that are not as useful to me, personally. Cedar-Lee and Coventry are nice also, but advantage to LW in my view.
- More relaxing driving experience when navigating the town. Clifton, Lake Ave., are relaxing drives with beautiful homes and no strip malls. Even Detroit Ave. and Madison are reasonably enjoyable, as I like the “happening” vibe of people in outdoor cafes and such in good weather. Contrast to, say, Warrensville Ctr Rd, Cedar Rd, Mayfield Rd with all the stop lights, exhaust fumes, noise, weaving. (This was one item I couldn’t put my finger on, until it hit me...)
- Convenience to Ohio City establishments and Downtown attractions. I would definitely leverage this.

Now, where I think the East Side has the advantage...again, for me personally...

- Much better nature preserves and outdoor offerings. You’ve mentioned most, so I won’t repeat. As unabashed nature snobs, this is important for my wife and me. True, West Side has Rocky River Reserve, a great asset, but you can’t escape the roars of jet take-offs from Hopkins, or the traffic drone of i480 from many of the trails. Bedford/Tinkers Gorge (one of our personal favorites...) is also more accessible for East Siders than West.
- Similar theme...IMO East Side has prettier topography and terrain, more seasonal beauty from what I’ve seen in Fall, Winter, and Spring. Looks like we agree.
- Better housing value and selection for our targeted pre-ww2 home stock in places like SH and CH, relative to LW and RR. And better lot sizes/privacy in general. The numbers don’t lie; we’re following this closely.
- Convenience to UC, Little Italy is a plus on the East Side.

OK, that’s my off-the-cuff take on things, having scouted all points from Oberlin to Wadsworth to Fairport Harbor non-stop for the past month. Maybe this will help someone, as relates to Lakewood vs. other spots (this thread in general). Strictly my opinions above..

WRnative, thanks again for your thoughts on living near lake, and the various links.

Cheers!
This is a tremendous post.

You're definitely correct that it's cooler near the lake in summer months. I forget about that because I've always lived within this cooling zone even when not living directly on the lake. I take it for granted.

https://www.weather.gov/apx/lake_breeze

In the late spring, as just recently, temperatures within the cooling zone, especially northeast of Cleveland, can be 10 degrees or more cooler than in other areas in Greater Cleveland. This may not be quite as welcome as the heater effect in the same area in the autumn.

What's also true is that land areas near the lake seemingly also are more prone to microbursts, sometimes resulting in wind speeds reaching 100 mph. Although not on the lake, Cleveland Heights seems prone to microbursts; I wonder if this is because of rapidly rising elevations causing atmospheric layers to cool rapidly, intensified by heavy moisture levels due to storm fronts having just crossed a very warm Lake Erie.

https://patch.com/ohio/clevelandheig...veland-heights

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/...land-area.html

Euclid was hit badly by this 1993 storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS1lQiFQO2I

I wonder if microbursts are less frequent on the west side due to the more southerly curve of the Lake Erie coast. E.g., this storm that hit Lakewood Park, but also areas well to the east, was a derecho, a long-lived straight wind event.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...fireworks.html

These are not frequent events, but can be devastating to roofs, trees and powerlines. Some national roofing materials suppliers offer lifetime warranties; something to check out when replacing a roof on a property near the lake. "Macroburst" is new terminology to me.

https://www.livescience.com/55912-mi...l%20directions.

Unlike tornadoes, microbursts apparently aren' t recorded, so it's difficult to find a record of them.

Local insurance agents likely have a good memories of microburst events in their locality.

It's also interesting how personal perspectives are different. I've always found driving through Lakewood to be painfully slow along Clifton and Lake Avenues, and Lakewood police enforce traffic laws very aggressively. I prefer the double dose of freeway exits (Route 2, I-90) in Lake County combined with marginal boulevards along Route 2 and wide north/south boulevards (such as Route 91), as well as the north/south Route 44 in the center of the county. Ditto, the many shopping districts that line I-271.

Traffic is one reason that I more often dine at Don's Lighthouse Grille rather than venture into Lakewood.

https://donslighthouse.com/

Cleveland pre-epidemic had several great Happy Hours, and one of my favorites was at Don's.

https://www.totalhappyhour.com/happy...s%20to%20enjoy!

Looking through Don's website, I didn't see any mention of a Happy Hour. Social distancing perhaps makes Happy Hours uneconomic.

Pre-epidemic, I always thought Blue Point Grille (awesome ambience), which also had a good Happy Hour, was the best seafood restaurant in Cuyahoga County, followed by Don's, which offers free parking.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...land_Ohio.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...land_Ohio.html

BTW, you might want to register at this website:

https://www.clevelandindependents.com/

Last edited by WRnative; 04-12-2021 at 03:34 AM..

Old 04-12-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
You're definitely correct that it's cooler near the lake in summer months. I forget about that because I've always lived within this cooling zone even when not living directly on the lake. I take it for granted.

https://www.weather.gov/apx/lake_breeze

In the late spring, as just recently, temperatures within the cooling zone, especially northeast of Cleveland, can be 10 degrees or more cooler than in other areas in Greater Cleveland. This may not be quite as welcome as the heater effect in the same area in the autumn.
Yes, it is very noticeable. Last week in a 2-hour window, I did some unscientific (car thermometer) checks in Hudson (80-deg), Cleveland Hts (78-deg), and Lakewood Park (66-deg). While Hudson and CH were by no means uncomfortably hot, the cooling breeze in Lakewood was most welcome.

Quote:
It’s also interesting how personal perspectives are different. I've always found driving through Lakewood to be painfully slow along Clifton and Lake Avenues, and Lakewood police enforce traffic laws very aggressively. I prefer the double dose of freeway exits (Route 2, I-90) in Lake County combined with marginal boulevards along Route 2 and wide north/south boulevards (such as Route 91), as well as the north/south Route 44 in the center of the county. Ditto, the many shopping districts that line I-271.
The boulevards and highways you called out are fine by me, and even pleasant in some cases (SOM Cnt Rd from, say, Pepper Pike to Willoughby Hills, much of Rt 44...).

Not a huge thing, but I particularly don’t enjoy Warrensville Cnt Rd, Cedar Rd (from i271 into CH), and many of the other routes in and around SH/CH with stop-and-go traffic, noise, exhaust, strip malls...Shaker Blvd is a much more pleasant drive, but it looks and smells like a speed trap to me.

We’d manage just fine if we ultimately land in SH or CH...but I personally do enjoy the more relaxed, scenic commutes down Lake Ave or Clifton. It puts half my brain in vacation mode. This is part of Lakewood’s appeal to me.

Quote:
BTW, you might want to register at this website:

https://www.clevelandindependents.com/
Thanks for this! I’ll look into registering.

Also, thanks for the references on happy hours and lake effect/weather patterns. Quite informative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland