Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:27 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,148,355 times

Advertisements

I read about Oberlin from another post so I started looking. Found 2 properties that fit my needs. HOWEVER, when I clicked on "crime" on map via realtor.com, it was a darker orange. It's a college town so I am thinking bike thefts, etc.

Is there something I'm missing? I know these sources can be sketchy, but I was a bit surprised as the poster was stating what a great small town feel it has. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks- Rob

PS: I am in CLE AGAIN in 2 weeks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 06:49 AM

378 posts, read 342,333 times
Those crime heatmaps need to be taken with a grain of salt. If there is very low crime in the general area being used for analysis, any specific area that has any slightly higher instances of crime will look significant in comparison.

Also, a lot of those crime aggregates still include nuisance calls for things like noise.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:28 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Crime? Oberlin? Bwahahahaha. No.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:46 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,279,618 times
Yeah I think college towns tend to be strange statistical outliers when it comes to crime.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:22 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,946,300 times
I would think underage drinking would show up in the stats.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:46 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,279,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I would think underage drinking would show up in the stats.
As well as your garden variety public intoxication citations.

However now that I think about, Oberlin doesn't exactly have a reputation for being a party school.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:42 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,446,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
As well as your garden variety public intoxication citations.

However now that I think about, Oberlin doesn't exactly have a reputation for being a party school.
Oberlin had a long history as a dry community until the late 20th century. As a result, Wellington used to have some beautiful bars; I wonder how they're doing these days.

www2.oberlin.edu/stupub/ocreview/2004/9/17/news/article10.html

My hunch is that considerable opposition to the use of alcohol and other drugs still lingers in Oberlin, especially compared to many other colleges and universities.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:32 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Oberlin is almost laughably quiet and safe. The comparables are cow towns where cow tipping is the only serious criminal activity.

It sure ain't Cleveland.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:44 AM

6 posts, read 5,519 times
i have the same question as the original post. since houses are scarce right now i expanded west into browsing oberlin. but on the crime map it shows medium crime. this puzzles me, the only thing i can think of is that the college reports of crime maybe make up alot of this. but it seems to expand to the housing areas as well. some of these homes have a acre of land and are spaced from the neighbors. so i dont see why there is crime

from what i read the ethnic background is 20% black. its a popular black city based on the underground railroad. this worries me a bit. i live in east cleveland where it is 90% black and let me tell you they hate me here for being white. for no reason. ive seen more shootings in real life then i have in movies. im not racist at all, but i put one american flag out and im deemed as racist by everyone.

so im investing all my money to move into a more secluded and quiet area where people will just leave me alone. i would think with the amount of land in oberlin that things like this wouldnt be a issue, so is it?

i do not want any part of whats going on in politics today, nor do i want to be around brainwashed people who have a chip on their shoulder. i do not want to be around protestors, or any of that crap. i worked in lorain for 8 years. ive been in every hood in ohio. so i doubt oberlin can be worse then i already am. but what im saying is i dont want to waste my money moving from a headache, to a mild headache. i want to move to NO HEADACHE!

is police response time quick? in ec we have to wait 4 hours, so if your neighbor decides to throw a 100 person party till 4am blasting subwoofers so loud its waking your child up, you just have to deal with it. im sick of the loud radios penetrating through my walls the entire day. white or black, i do not want that. i want to know if i call the police they will come on time and stop the problem and actually address it. if there even is any problems out there. are there? general crime im not worried about. i just want to be inside my house alone in peace and be left alone, and when i go to the stores i dont want to be looked at with a mad face because im white.

sorry to be so blunt, but im at least halfway through my life and i would like to live the last half just being left alone in peace. alot has changed everywhere because of politics since the original post.

Old 05-21-2021, 08:38 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,446,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisisaNNZ View Post
i have the same question as the original post. since houses are scarce right now i expanded west into browsing oberlin. but on the crime map it shows medium crime. this puzzles me, the only thing i can think of is that the college reports of crime maybe make up alot of this. but it seems to expand to the housing areas as well. some of these homes have a acre of land and are spaced from the neighbors. so i dont see why there is crime

from what i read the ethnic background is 20% black. its a popular black city based on the underground railroad. this worries me a bit. i live in east cleveland where it is 90% black and let me tell you they hate me here for being white. for no reason. ive seen more shootings in real life then i have in movies. im not racist at all, but i put one american flag out and im deemed as racist by everyone.

so im investing all my money to move into a more secluded and quiet area where people will just leave me alone. i would think with the amount of land in oberlin that things like this wouldnt be a issue, so is it?

i do not want any part of whats going on in politics today, nor do i want to be around brainwashed people who have a chip on their shoulder. i do not want to be around protestors, or any of that crap. i worked in lorain for 8 years. ive been in every hood in ohio. so i doubt oberlin can be worse then i already am. but what im saying is i dont want to waste my money moving from a headache, to a mild headache. i want to move to NO HEADACHE!

is police response time quick? in ec we have to wait 4 hours, so if your neighbor decides to throw a 100 person party till 4am blasting subwoofers so loud its waking your child up, you just have to deal with it. im sick of the loud radios penetrating through my walls the entire day. white or black, i do not want that. i want to know if i call the police they will come on time and stop the problem and actually address it. if there even is any problems out there. are there? general crime im not worried about. i just want to be inside my house alone in peace and be left alone, and when i go to the stores i dont want to be looked at with a mad face because im white.

sorry to be so blunt, but im at least halfway through my life and i would like to live the last half just being left alone in peace. alot has changed everywhere because of politics since the original post.
Suggest:

1) There likely are one or more very active Oberlin Facebook forums. Post your questions there, as you will likely find many more posters very familiar with Oberlin.

2) Call the Oberlin police department and ask about the neighborhoods under consideration and ask for crime report statistics. I would be surprised if the Oberlin police department wasn't very proactive.

I can't imagine the scenario where Oberlin's crime situation becomes as dire as East Cleveland, barring the collapse of higher education institutions in the U.S. Everything is possible in the next several decades given the economic and environmental challenges facing the U.S. and the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland