Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 10:36 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,946,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittydore View Post
I wish the "Rock & Roll" hall of fame which happens to reside in Cleveland would ditch rap. Music that glorifies the violent drug/gang "thug life" needs to be in a hall of shame.
That's ridiculous. You sound like a medieval peasant, ffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 11:10 AM

1,026 posts, read 448,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Pardon my language. "Protect" is probably a better word than "control" in this instance.
Control is too late, this grandson was 24 years old. The control part is over as he's been an adult for several years now. Even the protect aspect is a stretch as this grandson ran a thug life; guns, cop chases on highways, etc....

Where are this parents? There is never a mention of where this grandson's parents are. Grandpops Jackson is left, as are many grandparents, with the burden of taking on grandkids and, especially if they're boys, are too out of control after about age 12, to rein in.

This grandson brought Cleveland PD sweeping into Jackson's home and, of course, we all saw the pics of the gangbanger kid on the Mayor's driveway with a fan of Jacksons (no pun intended) and a gun hanging out of his pocket.

Sad but predictable story here.

Old 10-01-2021, 01:11 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,321,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Control is too late, this grandson was 24 years old. The control part is over as he's been an adult for several years now. Even the protect aspect is a stretch as this grandson ran a thug life; guns, cop chases on highways, etc....

Where are this parents? There is never a mention of where this grandson's parents are. Grandpops Jackson is left, as are many grandparents, with the burden of taking on grandkids and, especially if they're boys, are too out of control after about age 12, to rein in.

This grandson brought Cleveland PD sweeping into Jackson's home and, of course, we all saw the pics of the gangbanger kid on the Mayor's driveway with a fan of Jacksons (no pun intended) and a gun hanging out of his pocket.

Sad but predictable story here.
I find myself wondering where the grandson grew up. In the 'hood? Or someplace else?

I keep reading and hearing about how Mayor Jackson never left the Central neighborhood and "his people", even after he became a successful attorney. I can certainly see that point of view... but I'm wondering how different his grandson's life might've turned out had Jackson moved to a better neighborhood? If I had school-aged children, I'd want to raise them in the best environment possible, where they would have good schools, good influences, and good role models -- I'd certainly do that if I had sufficient income. (Of course, I'm missing some details and pieces here... I have no idea where Frank Q's parents lived when they were raising him.)

Just musing and rambling here a little bit... some things that have been on my mind lately...

Old 10-01-2021, 01:59 PM

230 posts, read 119,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
That's ridiculous. You sound like a medieval peasant, ffs.
Then go take a leisurely stroll through some hardcore projects late at night this weekend.

Let us all know how that works out for you.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:51 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times
Quote:
Then go take a leisurely stroll through some hardcore projects late at night this weekend.

Let us all know how that works out for you.

I partly agree with you that today's pop culture definitely can be very toxic and influence young people in very wrong ways. Yet there are many other factors that contribute to the demise of a young individual. Peer pressure, being surrounded by troublemakers, a lack of self-confidence (from which comes the "I have to prove myself to belong" part of gangster culture), absent parents or guardians, or a desire to show off all can play a part. Hopefully this incident serves as a wake up call to C-Town that there is a need to reform its youth so that something like this does not happen again and the call has to come from the Mayor and city councilors. It will not be easy or comfortable and I am sure there will be finger pointing here and there but it has to be done. Here in Boston, we too once had a city councilor whose son was brutally mugged on the street one night. That councilor immediately corralled the community together to address and target the violence. In the end everyone ought to have the right to walk, bike, or drive down a street without being attacked much less killed.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:51 AM

840 posts, read 761,334 times
Quote:
I wish the "Rock & Roll" hall of fame which happens to reside in Cleveland would ditch rap. Music that glorifies the violent drug/gang "thug life" needs to be in a hall of shame.
Has rap music contributed anything positive to society? I think it’s set back Black culture to say the least.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:17 AM

628 posts, read 819,471 times
His death probably has more to due with the incompentance and/or politically restraint of Cleveland PD. With the current social attitude of defunding the police and prison reform, the bad guys are gonna do what bad guys gonna due without impunity.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:09 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,445,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Has rap music contributed anything positive to society? I think it’s set back Black culture to say the least.
Most consumers of rap are 75% young white males. Plus, not all rap glorifies violence, it's just what's pushed into the mainstream. Plus, a lot of you only define black culture by the media's standards, which is not true.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:18 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,445,352 times
Quote:
But, you're ok with certain rock acts that have bitten live animals on stage and glorifies devil worship. So, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five glorifies the violent drug/gang life? Does Run-DMC?

Old 10-17-2021, 09:06 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Lots of violence in Cleveland for sure. Always sad when people die with guns blazing.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2021...y-in-2020.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland